Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

LS600hL road trip

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-07, 10:16 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
besides the s600, i think the ls600hl speed is very close to the a8 and 760il?
according to Sports Car International magazine, passing speed (like 50-70mph) for the 600hL is better than A8 W12 & 760Li
Old 10-30-07, 12:03 PM
dlovato
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having had my LS600hL for a few days...

Still not a ton of miles, but just over 200 in the past 3.5 days since taking delivery....

The variable transmission, electric boost are really noticable - if you want to go faster, you simply press on the gas, the car instantly responds - it was most noticable when I passed a truck going up a pretty steep grade - he was going 45 on a 65 MPH highway, I momentarilly got "stuck" behind him, and went for the pass - just stepped on the gas - I didn't even floor it - the next thing I knew I was going 85, still accelerating up the hill, and had to back off to get back to reasonable speeds :-) Wow.

Did I get the hybrid version to save gas - not really (although it was a good "Selling point" to my wife) - Milage (and cleaner emmissions) are just an added bonus.

If all I cared about was gas milage I would have got a Prius (quite a few of them for what I paid for the 600hL) :-) I just don't care to drive around in a cramped underpowered car to save a few $.

What I was looking for was a leading edge (technology wise) car, that was comfortable, performed well, was safe, had very good quality, and looked good. The 600hL meets all those requirements and more. I looked at MB, Audi, BMW, Jaguar, etc. The interior of the Lexus was at least as nice, if not better than all the above. The styling (outside look) was just as good, if not better, and the performance was as good (or close enough) or better for what was important to me - I seriously doubt I'll ever hit the 130MPH limit on the car - it's "fast enough". If a Mercedes can go 150, so what. I'll never use that extra 20MPH, so things like that have no value to me.

I don't understand those who use the MB/German "history" argument - so what? I'm not buying what these companies did in the past - I'm buying what they are currently selling. When I compared them, the Lexus was simply better overall - enough so that it wasn't even that hard of a choice - it became very clear this was the car for me. My wife having an RX400h for a couple years, and almost zero issues with it also helped.

As for the prestige part of MB, etc - I don't buy that either. This car turns heads. Yesterday I was at the local market and I noticed a guy checking out my car when I came out, as I walked up, I realized who he was - the owner of the largest real estate firm in the area. He has a high-end Mercedes S class, and was "smitten" with my 600hL - and realtors know cars better than they do houses :-) Nobody (reasonable anyway) that sees a 600hL up close is going to say it's a "toyota", or "cheap" in any way.

I posted elsewhere that one guy almost wrecked because he was too busy looking at my car, and not the road ahead of him.

It's not a "Vulgar Display of Wealth" like a Rolls, Bently, etc, but it's definately a very nice car - it looks expensive enough. BTW - if you have a Bently (or Prius), no offense - I know a few people that have cars at both ends of the spectrum, and that's great - they are just not for me.

Anyway - initial road test is highly positive. I can tell the difference between my 600hL, and the 460L that I test drove. The extra $ for the hybrid version is, IMHO, worth it - just for the performance increase - the rest of it is gravy.

- Darryl
Old 10-30-07, 01:43 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the review, dlovato! Good to hear about your experiences with the car, and I think you encapsulated the direction this car is aimed at...sort of a "sweet spot" for an ultra-luxury flagship sedan. And it is quite a lovely vehicle...and a head-turner as a recent thread on politicians and LShs indicates.

I would love to test the 460 L and 600h L back to back, at Taste of Lexus I did get to drive the 460 and 600h L but the course was too short and different; it would be great to more fully experience the difference the AWD and extra hp/torque that the hybrid system provides.
Old 10-30-07, 01:45 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

Good luck with it Darryl!
Old 10-30-07, 02:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow congrats with the car!!!!!!! very very nice review there
Old 10-31-07, 05:54 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Congrats, Darryl.

I agree with so very much that you said in your review.
Old 10-31-07, 08:35 AM
dlovato
Driver School Candidate

Default Comfort mode (funny)

So last night I was driving the 600hL - in comfort mode. :-)

(I've been playing with the different settings - I think I'll leave it in sport most of the time - which is still plenty "smooth".

When I returned home, my wife and kids met me at the door and excitedly told me about the 5.6 earthquake that just happened.

I didn't feel it :-)

There you have it.

Comfort mode makes drivers oblivious to earthquakes.

That should go into Lexus's california's marketing.

- Darryl
Old 10-31-07, 08:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

lol now that could be a dangerous thing when people are screaming outside for quake but you are still driving happily!!!

glad to hear your family is ok!
Old 10-31-07, 09:12 AM
dlovato
Driver School Candidate

lol now that could be a dangerous thing when people are screaming outside for quake but you are still driving happily!!!

glad to hear your family is ok!
Yeah, I can see it now. The same lawyers at Lexus that won't allow us to use the nav system they put in the car (my one big complaint - but I'm "fixing it") - will find out the car is "too quiet and smooth", and make the engineers drill portholes all around the car so drivers and passengers can hear emergency vehicles while driving. I'm sure it's dangerous to not "feel an earthquake" as well - get a LS while you can - before they remove comfort mode and drill the holes!

:-)

- Darryl
Old 10-31-07, 11:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by dlovato
Yeah, I can see it now. The same lawyers at Lexus that won't allow us to use the nav system they put in the car (my one big complaint - but I'm "fixing it") - will find out the car is "too quiet and smooth", and make the engineers drill portholes all around the car so drivers and passengers can hear emergency vehicles while driving. I'm sure it's dangerous to not "feel an earthquake" as well - get a LS while you can - before they remove comfort mode and drill the holes!

:-)

- Darryl
ah, are you getting the override?
Old 10-31-07, 12:08 PM
dlovato
Driver School Candidate

ah, are you getting the override?
Yep. It's on order - "Prestigous Society" said 2-3 weeks. I'm also getting the roof and truck spoiler, and front bumper grill inserts from them (end of November).

The rest of the exterior mods where a little "too much" - the spoilers along with the stock wheels that were chromed will make the car a little more "sporty" while not making it too over the top - I don't want it to look like it's being driven by a Rap star :-)

The other mods I'm doing is putting in an inverter/UPS system in so that I can have 120v outlets in the cabin (for xbox & misc), and the trunk (for a mac mini), with a video switch to switch the aux input between "Macintosh" and "Xbox" mode (for the kids).

The mac (which can run windows as well) will have an extra USB GPS connected to it, so that I have the option of using google earth on the front or rear screens - tracking me as I go.... (I don't think I can get at the current Nav systems GPS in USB format - or the touch sensor - THAT would be way cool). It's doable, but I'd have to totally replace the Nav system/ML system, which I don't want to do.

The other thing is the car will have a Cell phone internet hub - i.e. It will be a "mobile" wi-fi hot spot. - My kids will be able to access the internet from their laptops and "do their homework" on the way to school :-)

It's going to be pretty cool when I'm finished with it. Why have an ipod, when you can have the full fledged iTunes (or any other software) running - I'll be able to download songs and play them while on the road (not while I'm driving of course... - but my passengers will be able to do it).

- Darryl
Old 10-31-07, 02:02 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, a lot of those technological enhancements to the car sound quite amazing...and maybe one day years from now luxury cars will actually adopt some of those features at the OEM level.

BTW, the earthquake yesterday shut down SFO airport for some time!
Old 10-31-07, 02:33 PM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like you are in the SF Bay Area (I was at home and just felt the quake slightly from the East Bay. Do you have a local person who will be doing the electronic mods for you? - Having a wi-fi and 120V is intriguing for my 460L Exec Class. Thanks.
Old 10-31-07, 03:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

that's very cool darryl, your project sounds awesome!

i would just suggest you get the lowering module to lower the car a little bit so it can compliment the 19s a bit
Old 10-31-07, 06:40 PM
dlovato
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by astrotoy
Looks like you are in the SF Bay Area (I was at home and just felt the quake slightly from the East Bay. Do you have a local person who will be doing the electronic mods for you? - Having a wi-fi and 120V is intriguing for my 460L Exec Class. Thanks.
I live between Santa Cruz & Monterey.

I'm doing the electronics. I actually started a side-company "Custom Show Vehicles" to do just that. I have a couple projects I'm starting on (including modifying my LS). I'm using my cars as test vehicles for them - I already did a first pass with my wifes RX400. My hope is to create as close to plug/play for these as possible - then sell the kits to others.

- Darryl

Quick Reply: LS600hL road trip