Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

LS600hL road trip

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-07, 05:42 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zzzzdoc
How do you put it in "normal" mode vs radar mode?
After you turn the cruise control on, push the stalk back for a few seconds. This will switch the cruise control mode from "radar" to "normal".

HBH
Old 11-24-07, 09:21 PM
dlovato
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Little better gas milage on return trip...

During the stretch from Wendover to Reno, I got 23.5 MPG (added 1 MPG) - probably because of "break-in" (now up to 2500 miles total on the car).

I still averaged 88 MPH, 2 adults/2 teenagers, and a full trunk of suitcases - so I don't think this is too bad - like I said, I didn't get the car for gas mileage - and I wasn't driving to save gas - just get across the desert as fast as I could safely.

The other plus is I still had a hundred + miles of "gas" in the tank - all the way across Nevada with gas to spare - we didn't stop at all.

- Darryl
Old 11-24-07, 09:33 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like a nice time driving...I myself have been in an LS 430 from LA to Vegas and it was a most comfortable way to travel.
Old 11-24-07, 10:36 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zzzzdoc
I do feel like I'm babying the car a lot to get that mileage, FWIW. One thing I am curious about. When approaching a stop in a hybrid, do you save more gas waiting to brake relatively hard, or coasting as much as possible with the car slowing down and braking softer. Does the regenerative braking create more electricity with an abrubt short stop vs a slow coast and gentle stop?
Braking always produced more regen than coasting. More current sent back to the battery.

So gliding (that is, no arrows shown on the Energy Monitor) then braking to a stop gets you more than coasting (green arrow on Energy Monitor) all the way to the light.

Ideally, you would glide to the light (if it's a flat ground, you'll be losing speed anyway but not as much as if you were to coast) to maintain as much momentum as possible, then when the light goes green, you can continue.

Of course, that's assuming you wanna maximise mileage .

Same as going down a hill. Pressing on the brake pedal will send more electricity back to the battery than coasting down the hill. How far you depress the brake pedal will determine how much you'll generate back to the battery. On the Prius, I believe 100amps is the max. I don't know what the figure is for the LSh.
Old 11-25-07, 02:07 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So like a non-hybrid car, coasting and saving your momentum works well for fuel mileage. The regenerative braking helps charge the battery.
Old 11-25-07, 05:30 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
So like a non-hybrid car, coasting and saving your momentum works well for fuel mileage. The regenerative braking helps charge the battery.
mmhmmm but glide if you can (no arrows on the Energy Monitor). I don't know if gliding is easily achieved in the LSh. I've heard reports that it's hard to do on the Camry Hybrid. You can "cheat" by shifting into N which does the same thing but the difference is that you can't accelerate if necessary cause you're in N and not D. And you gotta shift back to D before you brake to take advantage of regenerative braking.

Regenerative braking takes up the slack in case you need to brake thereby recovering some energy to be used later rather than throwing the momentum away by converting it to heat when the pads touch the rotor. I drive 90% in the city and my brakes are pretty much brand new. I expect the LS ones to last the life of the car too if driven gently.