Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

LS600hL road trip

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-07, 06:30 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS600hL road trip

I’ve just completed a 3500 mile road trip in my LS600hL. It now has about 5000 miles. I averaged 25.3 MPG on this trip.

This is my 3rd LS and, just like the previous two, no rattles, squeaks, leaks, or any other issues to date.

Driving through mountainous regions during a heavy rain storm the car was completely secure and handling was flawless. In fact, I did one 90 mile stretch 3 times, as I’d forgotten my credit card at the restaurant I had lunch at and didn't discover it 'til I stopped for gas. Fortunately, I’d used the NAV system to find the restaurant in the first place so I was able to find it again using the “Previous destinations” feature. Whew!

The car is so eager to accelerate, and the sensation of speed is so absent that I’m sure that the laser cruise control saved me a ticket or three. It cut out a few times due to heavy rain and I had to resort to the “Non-radar” cruise control. I’m glad that feature was available.

Cruising at 70-80 was extremely quiet, with only a slight buffeting noise from the window at 70+. Personally, I consider this completely normal at that speed. I took it up to 100 at one isolated stretch and the only difference was that the buffeting sound disappeared at around 90. Other than that, the sound and handling was the about the same, which is to say very quiet and stable. The engine sound was a bit noticeable, but I expect that some of that was because I didn't stay at that speed long enough for the RPM's to settle back down. At 70, the engine loafs along at around 1100 RPM.

There were a few times that I had to pull over because I was locked out of a feature I needed. While annoying at the time, it’s overwhelmed by the positives of this vehicle. So I just take an exit, perform the task, and continue on, no big deal. Most of the time I was able to do what I needed while moving.

I generally used the “Lexus Link” phone system instead of my regular cell phone because I was never out of range with the Lexus Link phone while frequently so with the cell phone. Here’s one feature that Lexus could improve on, though. The Lexus Link phone seems almost like an afterthought. There’s no message capability and the steering wheel buttons and the POI call button only uses the cell phone. One improvement would be that if the Lexus Link phone is enabled and no cell phone is detected, all phone features should be directed to the Lexus Link phone, including the steering wheel buttons.

I had the 5000 mile servicing performed while on the road and when I asked about the software update that would rid me of the “I agree” screen I was informed that that update isn’t available yet for the LS600hL.

HBH

Old 10-21-07, 07:25 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

25 highway MPG is not very impressive at all. Dismal in fact for an hybrid. That being said, I guess the real mileage boost in hybrids is around town. And this car IS all wheel drive, which tends to suck more gas than the regular rear wheel drive version.
Old 10-21-07, 08:09 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by daryll40
25 highway MPG is not very impressive at all. Dismal in fact for an hybrid. That being said, I guess the real mileage boost in hybrids is around town. And this car IS all wheel drive, which tends to suck more gas than the regular rear wheel drive version.
Dismal? Actually, I'm quite happy with the mileage.

25MPG highway compared to real world 31.4MPG highway for a Honda Civic hybrid "Hybrid Mileage Comes Up Short" seems great to me, considering that this is a big, heavy, high performance luxury car compared to a much smaller and lighter compact car.

HBH
Old 10-21-07, 09:14 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Won't the NON hybrid LS460s get 25 on the highway?
Old 10-21-07, 09:26 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
Won't the NON hybrid LS460s get 25 on the highway?
The non-hybrid is also hundreds of pounds lighter with RWD instead of AWD, & has a smaller engine with less hp, & the savings with hybrids is mostly in the city where you have lots more opportunity to use the electric motor . . .
Old 10-21-07, 10:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Thanks for the write-up Helmar! Sounds like you're really enjoying the car.

Just curious, where did you go and go through?

Also, do you have a clear bra on the car?
Old 10-21-07, 10:58 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

No bra on the car, clear, lacy, or otherwise.....

Starting in Maine, I went to Connecticut, where I tried my luck at the gaming tables.

Having lost neither my shirt nor car, I continued on to Endicott, NY where I saw a play, "Dial M for murder". This is the leg where I had to backtrack 100 miles in the rain and mountains. Fortunately, when I got to Endicott and sat in my seat, the curtain was just going up!

Next, on my way to "North East, PA", I traveled part of the Glendorn drive, one of the Lexus recommended drives.

The next leg brought me to Sandusky OH, and then on to Chicago, IL.

The furthest west I got was Madison, WI, where my plans abruptly changed, and I headed directly back to Maine.

Most of the time I was listening to a book on CD ("World Without End" by Ken Follett), which I'm still only about 1/2 through (it's a LONG book).

The drive was serene most of the time, a bit intense during the mountainous rain storm, but at all times very pleasant and enjoyable. Next time I'll try to have a traveling companion with me....

HBH
Old 10-21-07, 11:26 AM
Saudi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine after 2,500km 21.5L/100KM
Old 10-21-07, 11:37 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the report, Helmar! Sounds like you're using the LS to do what it was best designed for...comfortable, serene driving.
Old 10-21-07, 12:00 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Helmar
Dismal? Actually, I'm quite happy with the mileage.

25MPG highway compared to real world 31.4MPG highway for a Honda Civic hybrid "Hybrid Mileage Comes Up Short" seems great to me, considering that this is a big, heavy, high performance luxury car compared to a much smaller and lighter compact car.

HBH
The non hybrid is not much smaller or compact at all. Exp the LS460L. For highway driving, I can't see what adding AWD and an extra weight hybrid system does if the net result is that you get the same mileage as a similar vehicle without the weight...and at nearly half the cost. I just don't get it!!!

Sort of like my wife opening the house windows after turning the furnace on.
Old 10-21-07, 12:24 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Well also the LS 600h L is 438 hp, more than the 380 hp non-hybrid LS. The Lexus strategy here appears to be "V12+AWD+electric motors" with the net result of "V8 mpg+SULEV." Kind of like getting a 460 L but with more power and torque, AWD, and less emissions.

Yes, it is not much more fuel efficient vs. the 460s, but if that was what they were going for, they could have made an LS 400h or something.
Old 10-21-07, 12:27 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Well, while I am not poor, I still buy even my high-end cars on the value curve. I can't see the $115K+ vehicle as any sort of value whatsoever, but certainly is cutting edge technology. I guess if I was megawealthy I'd have one too. Anyway, my "left over 2007" LS460 at $58,000 looks and probably drives pretty close to the twice-the-cost car. Now we're talkin' value! (I paid the same in 2004 for my old LS430, although I admit it was not the prior year's "leftover" model).
Old 10-21-07, 12:38 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Yeah, well it's similar to the S-Class, which ranges from $87K to $144K+, without the reliability glitches. Most traditional Lexus customers opt for the LS 460, and indeed it is often because of the philosophy of getting the best car value-wise for the money, even in the luxury flagship class.

The LS 600h L is more designed as a showcase for the new technologies involved and carries a definite prestige/extra premium which itself may not be enough to cover the cost of developing the car itself, per model sold.

Anyhow, Lexus execs did mention that a possible future direction is more of a value-based, high mpg Lexus hybrid, which would have lower performance. It would be a different philosophy from the 600hL.

Back to the topic, it's interesting that the 'normal' cruise control is used in place of the radar cruise in some inclement weather conditions, indeed good to have a backup.
Old 10-21-07, 05:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the non-hybrid ls460 is rated 24 on the highway, and unless you cruise around 70mph, it's very hard to get that (or higher). helmar did some 100 and 90mph stretch, at those speed you actually start to waste more gas coz' you are pushing for power

oh and helmar, maybe you should get the override module so you can keep on driving
Old 10-22-07, 06:15 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Helmar
I had the 5000 mile servicing performed while on the road and when I asked about the software update that would rid me of the “I agree” screen I was informed that that update isn’t available yet for the LS600hL.

HBH

That would go along with my experience. I had the latest Nav update flashed into the system before delivery. I still have the "I agree" screen.

Quick Reply: LS600hL road trip