Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Picked up our new 400h - Impressions so far

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-07, 08:53 AM
tomv
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Picked up our new 400h - Impressions so far

We picked up our new 2008 400h last week and so far it's a great car.
It's Black with Black interior and wood trim, Nav and 18 inch wheels. When we were looking for a new car (a few months ago), we test drove a 350 since they didn't have any hybrids on the lot. They had a 400h in the showroom but it had a dead battery so we didn't actually see it turned on until we picked it up.

We ordered the car and our dealer did a car swap with another dealer. Something got screwed up and they ended up swapping the car with another dealer. Fortunately they found another one with the exact same specs and 2 weeks later our car was in Atlanta.

I only have a few comments so far since it's my wife's car so I don't drive it much.

It's still weird when I turn on the car and it's silent. I keep finding myself turning the ignition and when I don't hear the starter followed by the engine I remember.. Oh yeah..it's a hybrid. It's also silent while stopped or moving slow that without the engine noise I keep thinking I've stalled

I miss the trip timer that our RX300 had.

We didn't care about a hitch, but the only ones they had coming in had it so we took it. We figure it will be useful for carrying bikes and possibly one of those add on extensions for carry luggage on the rear instead of on top.
This has to be one of the uglier hitches I've seen. Even my hitch (for carrying bikes) on my IS300 is more subtle and that's not even a factory option. Most SUVs have the hitch integrated into the bumper.. Lexus hides nothing.
In the picture, notice the blue outline on the Lexus badge. I think this is new for 2008.

The door sill with the blue Lexus is a nice touch.

The RX drives nice and is a nice step up from our RX300. The interior looks much more luxurious and the black interior with maple trim looks very classy.

The power rear door is extremely convenient.

Do we get to use the car pool lane? I've read some states allow hybrids to use them.

I'll post more as I find it.
Attached Thumbnails Picked up our new 400h - Impressions so far-hitch.jpg  

Last edited by tomv; 10-31-07 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-31-07, 08:54 AM
tomv
Driver

Here's the illuminated Lexus when you open the door
Attached Thumbnails Picked up our new 400h - Impressions so far-door_entry.jpg  
Old 10-31-07, 08:58 AM
tomv
Driver

Side view.
Attached Thumbnails Picked up our new 400h - Impressions so far-left_side-medium-.jpg  
Old 10-31-07, 09:37 AM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice choice congrats on the new RX, now does the rear "L" glow or something? I know is a new thing with lexus
Old 10-31-07, 09:54 AM
tomv
Driver

Thanks, and No.. the rear badge doesn't glow.
When we picked it up. the salesperson mentioned that the blue badge and blue glow on the door sills are only on hybrids and something about blue in Japan symbolizing elegance. I wasn't paying too much attention, I was checking out our RX.
Old 10-31-07, 04:42 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first impression was: holy crap this thing is fast.
Old 10-31-07, 05:17 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats on your new RX 400h!!!

Yes this year the blue glow was added, this is the same as on the LS 600h L and the '08 GS 450h. The side door hybrid tags were added last year, and this year also looks like the chrome door handles and probably some other things. Perhaps it still has the "I agree" button on the NAVI?

Yes in CA you can use the hybrid car in the carpool lane if you have a special 'Hybrid vehicle sticker' -- tens of thousands were offered in this state but they have since all been snapped up. Edit: however the RX is not eligible apparently.

My experience driving the RX 400h, I still find it different to turn the ignition gently and look for the "Ready" light...no ignition sound.

Last edited by encore888; 11-27-07 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-31-07, 05:37 PM
tomv
Driver

Originally Posted by enigma888
Perhaps it still has the "I agree" button on the NAVI?
The "I Agree" button is gone, but I would rather have to push the button but have the ability to do the override. I also have an IS300 and the "I Agree button doesn't bother me as much as not having the Override option. That is great to have an should be on by default. Can't really blame the lawyers for that.. since Acura allows it.

I created a hybrid disc but I can't get the override option back. maybe it's a new gen.. I've taken pictures of some screens for version information and I'll start a separate thread for it.
Old 10-31-07, 07:59 PM
nobuddy
Rookie

Originally Posted by enigma888

Yes in CA you can use the hybrid car in the carpool lane if you have a special 'Hybrid vehicle sticker' -- tens of thousands were offered in this state but they have since all been snapped up.
Sorry, this is not correct. Only cars that get 45MPG or better highway mileage (according to last year's EPA numbers) can get "clean air" stickers that enable them to use the car pool lanes even with only a driver. This is independent of technology used to achieve the MPG. Most of the eligible cars use CNG.

No Lexus is eligible for a clean air sticker in California.

Here is a list of the cars that are: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

Hope this is helpful,

nb
Old 10-31-07, 08:16 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats on your new RX! Looks great, all nice and shiny
Old 11-01-07, 07:02 AM
tomv
Driver

Originally Posted by Seize
Congrats on your new RX! Looks great, all nice and shiny
The nice and shiny thing ended on day 2 of owning it.
We are in the middle of a "100 year drought" in Ga. and it hasn't rained in about 3 weeks (Except for 2 days after we got the RX ) and there is a total ban on outside watering.. so no car washes and I'm not ready to trust a car wash with it.

BTW: the rain sensing wipers are pretty cool.
Old 11-01-07, 07:05 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I do like it in black.
Old 11-01-07, 09:07 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I do like it in black.
I wish ours was black.
Old 11-04-07, 01:32 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice ride---- go ahead and go thru a car wash only if its touchless---it will be fine. I agree black leather int. is Hot as in very nice....lol I love mine. I like the blue glow on the door seals as well.

is that your wife in the Pic smiling as your taking the pict?
Old 11-04-07, 08:15 AM
tomv
Driver

Originally Posted by Booyah
Nice ride---- go ahead and go thru a car wash only if its touchless---it will be fine. I agree black leather int. is Hot as in very nice....lol I love mine. I like the blue glow on the door seals as well.

is that your wife in the Pic smiling as your taking the pict?
Yes, that's her

BTW: what's the best match for tints for the fronts?

Anyone have any pics?

Quick Reply: Picked up our new 400h - Impressions so far