Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Do all the bars in your RX400H light up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-07, 08:58 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXveryG8
That's a nice '62 Corvette you have there! Stunning! Was it bought already restored or did u restore it yourself?
It was like that when I got it but although it looks very good I want to make it as close to perffect as I can. Now that I am in my new house and all finished with moving all I need to do is unpack. Once that is done I plan on going over the car from top to bottom and get it as close to perfect as I can
Old 11-12-07, 05:05 AM
MadloR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recharging...

I have had my 06 400h since Feb 07, and not Once have I ever gotten the display to show Two Green Bars. Not once. I do get it to show the single green bar.

Now, as for the GUI, and, as with most displays they can be reprogrammed to falsely display what it is you want. By that, I mean show graphically based on supplied input. One trick we used to do (back in my days as a tech) with 1st gen cellphones (analog AMPS system) was to reprogram the customers phone to display a stronger "antenna" signal than was actually present by having the GUI light up more signal bars. And, seeing as how in manufacturing there are always different tolerances for identical products, this variable has always been present in parameters used for Graphically Displaying Information based on supplied values generated.

Back to the topic, I believe perhaps some vehicles display more optimistic graphic outputs than some other identical 400h's. One thing I have noticed is now that the weather is on average 32F to 44F I do find, especially in the morning the batteries to be fully charged much more often and for most of the drive into work in the early mornings.

At the same time, I get much less opportunity to discharge the batteries given the requirement of heat needed to be generated by the gas engine so as to produce hot coolant required to heat the cabin.

As for charging when the battery levels reach full, I have noticed the system will then exploit whenever possible, means to which to "dissipate" this extra electricity generated. I found this to be in the form of "less is gained" by depressing the brake pedal, in other words, no matter how gently you increase the brake pressure the electricity generated is less for the same amount of brake force as for when the batteries are in low or mid charge state. As well, the electric motors are more tuned to assist on the highway when the battery is fully charged (or, in green state) and the vehicle is driven where the road conditions are more likely to generate rather than consume energy (like coasting downhill, or coasting and braking downhill).

Cheers,

MadloR
Old 11-12-07, 05:27 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

All bars here, but then we drive down mountains alot.
Old 11-13-07, 04:21 PM
smalcom
Rookie

I have had the full display come on twice. Just normal around town driving. Have no clue what will cause it to fully light up. Lexus says it is most likely on a long downhill road.
Steve
Old 11-13-07, 07:38 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smalcom
I have had the full display come on twice. Just normal around town driving. Have no clue what will cause it to fully light up. Lexus says it is most likely on a long downhill road.
Steve
whenever you recharge via regenerative braking? Most of the time the computer won't let you anyway but if you're going down a steep hill or a long one, you will be more likely to charge it "full" to 80%.
Old 11-13-07, 08:54 PM
ler0y
Driver

I've had all green bars a couple of times, and never from going down hills. Sometimes after a long highway run I'll get them. It usually happens after I'm really stingy with the gas pedal. My approach to driving is similar to how spacecraft operate. It costs you energy to accelerate, ie it burns fuel. So if you keep your accelerations to a minimum number and magnitude, you should save more fuel. Being leadfooted will ensure that both your fuel consumption is high, and your battery level will be low.
Old 11-14-07, 09:22 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

One thing I did before to save gas that I don't do as much is avoid stopping. I always planned ahead and timed the traffic lights to avoid standing still and running the engine. Now I don't feel as bad sitting at a light running the engine waiting for the light to change. Now I stop plan but still ahead but I don’t try to avoid stopping as much, I just plan my stops to do it in such a way that I can stop the car with very light pressure on the pedal so that there car is being stopped using regenerative braking and as little use of the brake pads as possible. By they way one of the benefits in addition to saving gas I alys had my brake pads last a lot longer than the average driver
Old 11-23-07, 03:14 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Just this past week without even trying to I had the battery turn green but now it is much cooler out now 30's and I have a tank of 93 octane gas I doubt the gas matters but I will have to try more super gas.