Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Q -- Replacement keys & programming .. ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-07, 06:36 PM
dudeman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q -- Replacement keys & programming .. ?

Hi,

I'm pretty new. We own a RHD '07 RX-400H in Hong Kong.

I was looking to get an extra key for the car. When the dealer told me
it would cost HK3,000+ or 400 USD.

After I picked my jaw off the floor, I recovered my senses in time to check eBay when I got home, and have found complete keys with casing, un-cut blade, and electronic guts for around $75 shipped, which is a lot better.

I send a question to the eBay seller regarding programming the key for my car, and received this answer:

Hello,

Programming your remote is quite simple, and can be done yourself {If the auctions states it comes with programming instructions:**

Programming your remote could involve such steps as rapidly entering the key into and out of the ignition several times, or pressing buttons such as door locks or brake pedals in an ordered sequence.

It's different for each vehicle, however, some being easier to program than others, and also requiring fewer steps. We rarely run into any problems with customers programming their remotes.

If the auction doesn't state programming instructions are included, then you will simply have to take it to a dealer or locksmith to perform the programming.

Best Regards,
My question for board members who are familiar with getting replacement keys (if any) is to first confirm the exact process for the 400H for duplicate iginition key/alarm system remote.

What concerns me before I commit to buying is that the frequency made for LHD cars are different from RHD.

The dealer had already raise this point -- that even if he were to assist to program the key -- the compatibility may not be there AFA this after-market item for our Japan/Hong Kong versions of the 400H. On the other hand -- my dealer could be using a scare tactic to convince me to drop big cash on the factory replacement key, which I am trying to avoid.

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Last edited by dudeman; 12-11-07 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 12-12-07, 06:44 AM
sama
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dudeman
Hi,

I'm pretty new. We own a RHD '07 RX-400H in Hong Kong.

I was looking to get an extra key for the car. When the dealer told me
it would cost HK3,000+ or 400 USD.

After I picked my jaw off the floor, I recovered my senses in time to check eBay when I got home, and have found complete keys with casing, un-cut blade, and electronic guts for around $75 shipped, which is a lot better.

I send a question to the eBay seller regarding programming the key for my car, and received this answer:

My question for board members who are familiar with getting replacement keys (if any) is to first confirm the exact process for the 400H for duplicate iginition key/alarm system remote.

What concerns me before I commit to buying is that the frequency made for LHD cars are different from RHD.

The dealer had already raise this point -- that even if he were to assist to program the key -- the compatibility may not be there AFA this after-market item for our Japan/Hong Kong versions of the 400H. On the other hand -- my dealer could be using a scare tactic to convince me to drop big cash on the factory replacement key, which I am trying to avoid.

Any help or comments would be appreciated.
I cannot comment on US market version of keys vs the Japan/Honkong version. By the way my RX was manufactured in Japan.

Here are the instructions for programming for a 1998 & up lexus models in Post# 28
http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/show...1386&page=2#28

CL vendor : Sewell Lexus is having a promotion for Keys right now , why not buy it from them. I believe they are shipping items anywhere in the world and you will also get support if you have any questions
http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319111
Old 12-12-07, 10:43 AM
BobBass
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't let the complex instructions intimidate you. I bought a new remote for an '04 Maxima thru eBay and the process for programming was very similar. Worked the first time. Ended up saving about $80.
Old 12-13-07, 04:59 PM
MadloR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't waste your money

I purchased a key from the "so called No.1" EBAY key seller, and it was a complete and utter waste of time, and money. The key didn't work, period.

The shell and key blade was aftermarket and the so called interior or guts (electronics) was supposedly OEM. I tried every which way to program the key for the RX 400H and it simply did not work. On top of that, the instructions supplied were of the trial and error type, as you can imagine not every make or model of car will use a particular programming sequence. On top of it all the instructions supplied were not RX 400H specific but ballpark Lexus, as in, it supposed to work or should work, or try another Lexus model sequence... etc... blah blah blah.

I even called on multiple times for that so called service by phone and got more of the babble about all our keys work, it must be me (even though they do not have RX 400H specific programming instructions), your doing something wrong, yadda yadda yadda. Bottom line, not everyone has the tools to Cut the Key blade, so figure that to be a "not so standard key cost" to cut.

Stay away from that ebay crap, our keys or more specifically RX 400H model vehicles are not popular enough that you are actually dealing with a competent vendor. In the end, it was simply not worth it. I think the Sewell Lexus promo is pretty damn good.

Cheers,

MadloR