Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

GS450h hybrid question

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-07, 03:29 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS450h hybrid question

Hey all.
So today, after not have driven the 450h for about 1 week, because of snow, and I have been driving the GX470 for all driving, I go in and start the car.
I get 1/2 way down my street, and it then beeps and says check hybrid system.
One second later, it also says VSC check, and Traction Control check.
One second later, the gas pedal was deemed useless, as the car lost all power then coasted to a stop. I was only going about 5 mph so coasted to a stop within 10 feet.
Car turns off, and the display says, take car to dealer.

I wait a few minutes, push the button, and it started. The VSC and the TC warnings are gone, but still says check hybrid system.

I was able to at least drive it back to my driveway, where I had a flatbed tow truck through Lexus Roadside pick it up and take me and the car to the dealership.

Luckily I got it to them today before closing time of 4pm, becuase I leave for 2 weeks to go out of the country starting Monday.
They have my email to send me the diagnosis.

I was wondering if anyone you with the hybrids have experienced anything like this, and if so what was the cause/problem they found.

I am wondering if it has something to do with me not driving the car for about 1 week, and it being in the single digits, and that somehow screws with the hybrid system in some way......

No clue, so lend me your thoughts.
I will give the actual diagnosis when I get back mid January.
Old 12-30-07, 02:01 AM
BKruptcyJD
Rookie

I'm sorry about your issues. I've heard that we can't go too long without starting the car b/c it affects our hybrid batteries. I'm guessing the fact that you live in Colorado in freezing temperatures accelarates the issue.
Old 12-30-07, 08:49 AM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's certainly not something normal. I expect Lexus corporate to be all over this; they take their hybrid systems very seriously and thoroughly investigate any anomalies.

Keep us posted...
Old 12-30-07, 06:16 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I travel around quite a bit and leave my car for days or weeks at the time without starting it and never experience any issue.
Even if the "hybrid" battery discharge, the "normal" battery should behave like any other non-hybrid car and still be able to start the car.
I hope it is not serious, let us know what the diagnostic is.
Old 12-31-07, 09:27 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

well, just got a call from the dealership and they said when they started the car it showed "signal start failure".

something about the wrong signal being sent that's why it showed the check hybrid system error.

who knows, this is what they are telling me at the moment...
I will keep you informed.