Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.
View Poll Results: Which Octane do you fill up with?
Lower than 87
2.00%
33.00%
13.00%
27.00%
Higher than 91
25.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of gas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-08, 06:28 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mindmachin
Wow, been down this road before with the people on the Acura MDX forum.

First let me say I am a retired mechanical engineer who used to work for an engine builder. Actually Cooper Bessemer. In my early days I worked in research and development as a technician while I was attending college on a co-op plan.

Anyway to the point, we tested engines running in a steady state enviroment, constant speed and load for periods of time and we adjusted the timing to get optimum performance, ie fuel effeciency for the load. The engines I worked on were very large, the type used in electrical power generation and on compressor sites to move natural gas in pipelines. Typical engine configurations were as large as 12, 16 and even 20 cylinders and up to a maximum of 16,500 HP.
These engines ran very low RPM and piston slap could be easily discerned.
We did a lot of work on cylinder/valve configurations in order to achieve total
combustion. As you might imagine fuel efficiency is very important on a 16,500 HP engine running all day long 24/7 pumping natural gas from Texas to Ohio for example. The companies like Columbia Gas Transmission want the best efficiency they can get.

A little more background here and then to my point. The 2006 RX manual did not suggest you must run 91 Octane premium, also the 2006 manual recommended 5w-30 weight oil; but the 2008 manual says 91 octane premium
is required, and they also changed the oil requirements to 5w-20 and as an alternate 0w-20. ok so what design changes to the engine have occurred, I can only guess. I could look at compression ratios ect and speculate but who knows for sure.

Anyway back to the R & D testing and results:

1. Engines run most efficiently at the proper timing setting, retarding timing for any reason not only reduces available HP, it also reduces fuel efficiency even if you are not needing the extra optimal HP available at the optimal timing.
We could always see the impact of less than optimum timing on fuel effeciency

2.In a large engine like I am talking about, piston slap really sounds terrible, when the engine knock occurs, its a loud and ugly event; but in a small car engine it isn't so loud and to boot it is deadened by other sounds, it is however just as damaging.

3.It's all in the design, how the engine is meant to be run, the compression ratio and the cylinder head design along with valve placement configurations. The gas flame front will advance differently and impact both maximum energy output and fuel efficiency, no matter what the load the design parameters of the engine cylinder, proper timing and yes optimum fuel based on the design/ implemented design goals.

Now having said all that, we need to think about how the hybrid ICE setup works, yes it runs at in a more constant RPM range with a variable load. Also like others have said driving for best fuel economy, we aren't pushing the engine into the extremes in needed HP, but the interface of the ICE and how load is applied by the hybrid system is vastly different from a conventional gas engine only setup. Ping is of course going to be more noticeable and more prevalent when power demand varies more with a regular transmission, but that does not mean that the hybrid setup with a CVT doesn't encounter load variations that would cause piston slap-ping if it weren't for the electronic
countermeasures retarding the timing as needed.

Another point as I understand it, the electronic timing anti knock system is designed to reset the timing curve over a period of time, like when you switch
gas from one tank to the next, instantaneous timing adjustments do occur, but the whole timing curve is only gradually adjusted as you burn thru a change in octane of a new tank of fuel. I am not a Lexus engineer so I am only speculating based on rumors I have heard.

Also I will state now I own a new 2008 RX 400h and I use 91 octane premium, with $4 a gallon gas $0.20 is only a 5% premium and 5% of 27 mpg is only a 1.3 MPG difference and you break even. Plus I have the added comfort of knowing I can tromp on it if I want to,I can go up steep hills without worry, I can encounter really hot summer days with the AC running and indirectly loading the engine for needed electrical power ect. However, the best part is I can go the the Lexus dealer in the case of a warranty related failure and say I followed the recommended fuel requirement and my warranty should be good
if needed.

I know way too long, to summarize though, it's your $49,000/ $50,000 car do what you want to, my 08 RX 400h calls for premium required in the manual and it's only 5% more at todays prices and I am a mechanical engineer with engine testing experience, but I still cant totally evaluate how necessary it is or the total impact of not using premium. So I will error on the side of caution following the factory recommendations and enjoy the ride when I might otherwise worry. If I want to feel the power I can and I can climb a steep hills without having to reduce speed going up it without concern.

I am older and not a heavy footed driver, I drive for economy most of the
time. I still however find times when I want to use my car close to it's design potential.

Good luck to you all!!!!

I agree with almost everything, but want to add something. I really don't care what gas I buy, if I can get Sam's club 93 octane gas for 10 or 15 cents less than Shell or Mobil 93 octane I buy the cheapest 93 octane regardless of brand name. In the past few years I have lived and traveled in many different states and I have almost always been able to buy a cheaper brand 93 for less than high priced stations charge for 87.If you shop carefully you should be able to buy 93 for less than some stations charge for 87.

Although I lease my cars I still take care of them buy using synthetic oil and hi test gas. I always love the car I lease but I just get tired of it and want to change to something new. I had a RX400h with less than 2 years on a 3 year lease and only 17,000 miles but I got rid of it 9 days ago because I didn't need a SUV anymore and wanted something sporty. I also think that /Chevy Volt is on track to sell a pure electric car in 2010. I think it is a safe bet that Toyota / Lexus is going to have a Volt type car when Chevy does but they are keeping quite about it. My plan is to wait until the Chevy and Lexus have been on the road for a year and the price to settle down than buy or lease one. So a lease that expires in June of 2011 should be perfect timing. If I am wrong there is a slim chance I may keep the GS450H and buy out the lease. That is why I believe ion taking care of a lease because you never know if you may decide to keep it.

Sorry to drift off topic but the main point is that I agree that 93 octane is better for the engine.
Old 07-04-08, 06:49 AM
cpestinger
4th Gear

MINDMACHIN: Good stuff!
Ok, I guess *my* background is large displacement (torque) drag racing and off roading. (old&large motors making more torque than horsepower at lower RPM)
So what are we all talking about? Well what *were* we talking about? Octane, mileage, compression? WTF? MINDMACHIN touched on it. But let me go off:
douche neighbor down the street drives a mini van. His manual dictates at LEAST 87 octane. My 2007 RX400h manual specifies 91 octane. Dude’s van has an engine compression ratio of 8:1. My 07’ RX400h, has a compression ratio of 10.8:1. So that’s why I need to run 91 octane according to Lex. Shaddup, what? Engrish please? Read on.
The more an engine compresses its gas and air mixture prior to combustion, the more power will be produced during combustion. However, compression makes the fuel less stable thus increasing the likelihood of detonation (knock/ping/whatever). The atomized gas and air is designed to burn, not explode. So, gasoline with a 91 octane rating is ironically *less* likely to ignite when compared to gasoline rated at 87. Blah blah…
MINDMACHIN detailed head & valve differences but my point is to yank those differences out of this scenario. so it’s tough because by increasing compression ratio, one fundamentally changes the engine. I have to acknowledge this but for the sake of this discussion, forget it. If I have higher compression in my RX, I will beat hoser’s minivan if we assume a number of other variables are the same. Additionally I will have better MPG while I outrun him. So…like motors - same displacement – one with a higher compression ratio… will win (even with same octane fuel). you get the point, don’t get all literal on me with deck heights/bores/strokes. I’ll stop there. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine1.htm

BTW, octane has nothing to do with energy output. You should sack-kick anyone you meet who pumps 91 octane into a Camry. Please do the favor of striking them soundly about the head and face. Ridiculous!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

But yeah, *if* the owner’s manual (RTFM!) says 91, do your math… not just a tank at a time… for real – like the old days before touch screens. *Whuut? OMG WHEN DID THEY NOT HAVE NAV AND TOUCH SCREENS??!* (flips hair)

So, Lexus: Want an increase in the power-to-displacement ratio of a gas engine? Raise the compression and specify higher octane fuel in the manual. City and Hwy MPG figures now look spectacular on the window sticker. Well done. The press and the consumer are both impressed and naïve. Again, what is the return on investment of the increased cost of higher octane? No figures in this thread. Normally $.20 cents difference from 87 to 91 in my latitude. Hmmm… Lexus wants to get the highest advertised MPG-whatever it takes. They up the compression ratio, specify 91 octane everywhere and TADA! A 4000lb SUV AWD (sort of) getting higher CITY (31) than HWY (27) MPG??! (Café standard) Good LORD!!! But Car and Driver wasn’t quick to soil themselves over those results:
http://www.caranddriver.com/buying_g...on+id-277.html

89 and 87 will work! No engine damage and no engine diag computer reports saying your engine is being damaged! Don’t you dare think that!

Oh, also I stated I was a drag racer somewhere up in this rant—right. Ok, so anyone ever take a 400h to the strip? I DID! (I rule) The drag strip is easy: Time yourself three times down the strip. Then, make a change to your vehicle such as tires, fuel, or weight (give the baby to your girlfriend to hold along with the kid seat which will save 30lbs). Then run your car down the strip three more times. Log the difference in your 60ft, ¼ mile time, and trap speed. No improvement? ok, put the kid back in the RX but give him a helmet this time.

###ALL OCTANE BOOSTERS SUCK. Mostly mineral spirits (paint thinner) designed to DECREASE combustion efficiency (see above). No discussion on this either… if you don’t believe me, try it. Follow directions though – add bottle, then fill up with up to xx gallons of fuel. Dropped my hwy MPG instantly by 5mpg with all other variables being the same. Your results may differ.

Ok, I'm a Kansas son, so I can say this: ethanol is not as bad as bottle octane but ethanol is Satan! I love ethanol but I hate it. Higher octane (sweet!) but less energy/horsepower (dammat!)… (bangs head on desk). Love hate… corn.. oh forget it.
Don’t you DARE run E85! (Ethanol 85 octane if I’m not mistaken)

Lastly…I was surprised there was only one reference to highway speed in relation to MPG. Kids, the RX is an SUV after all. Try doing the speed limit across Kansas or West Texas. Just try it for a tank. PLEASE. The RX may look sexy sleek, but it has the aerodynamics of a door! Headwinds will affect your mpg. Look at flags for wind indicators. Also never put luggage boxes on roof rack.

I have spoken.

cp

Last edited by cpestinger; 07-04-08 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-19-08, 04:49 PM
UCLAAlum
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great answers folks! I agree with all posts. But I use Costco 91 premium ALWAYS. I concur - Stay away from those mpg-boosters. No hard data to prove claims.

I speaka Engrish too. Pshaw!
Old 08-14-10, 05:09 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Going back to higher octane as mileage has go down after running a few tank fulls of 87.
Old 08-15-10, 09:46 AM
Kendig
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A comparison of the 2007 Rx400h (fwd) with the 2007 Highlander hybrid (fwd):

engine bore/stroke/displacement: identical
engine compression: identical
horsepower & torque: identical
epa mileage (both old and new from fueleconomy.gov): identical

mfg recommended fuel: premium for the lexus, regular for the toyota
Old 08-15-10, 10:46 AM
xusforlife
Driver

The gas we have to choose from here in Sweden is 95 and 98 and more or less everyone uses 95. And the Shell 99 V-power.
Old 08-24-10, 09:28 AM
prowler97
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I get my wife a 400h I plan to use 87 octane. The Toyota Highlander Hybrid reccomends using 87 octane and that has the same engine as the 400h. I think Lexus reccomends "premium" gas because it's their premium brand!

Brian Richardson
Jupiter, FL
1997 Plymouth Prowler with Trailer
2006 Mercedes Benz C230 with 6-spd
2007 Lexus RX 400h (soon)
Old 08-24-10, 09:47 AM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by prowler97
When I get my wife a 400h I plan to use 87 octane. The Toyota Highlander Hybrid reccomends using 87 octane and that has the same engine as the 400h. I think Lexus reccomends "premium" gas because it's their premium brand!

Brian Richardson
Jupiter, FL
1997 Plymouth Prowler with Trailer
2006 Mercedes Benz C230 with 6-spd
2007 Lexus RX 400h (soon)
Lexus reccomends regular on my 2006 and I have been using regular for over two years now. I briefly used super when I was on the road two years ago. This tank I been averaging 27 MPG mixed driving.