Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

GS460 vs GS450h (both brand new)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 08:58 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by timeToy
We should round up the GS (300, 350, 430, 450h and 460) and have them race each other. In or around San Diego and I'm your 450h...
I'll supply the 430 ... but you gotta bring the race down to the MIA
Old 01-22-08, 09:03 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
I'll supply the 430 ... but you gotta bring the race down to the MIA
sorry, 3GS only
Old 01-22-08, 09:13 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by whlkev
sorry, 3GS only
Awwwww ... Booooorrrriiiinnngggggg

- Everyone knows that 2GS are the sexiest !!

- btw I want a GS-F when it comes out in 2012
Old 01-22-08, 09:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
No APSSS option available in Canada for either GS450h or GS460 = ZERO reason to buy one.
sigh, tell me about it. i soooo miss my drive at taste of lexus
Old 01-22-08, 09:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I was about to say too, talk about unfair comparison, 460 can be equipped with APSSS. Not to mention 460 is lighter than the hybrid 3945 vs 4134. By both having APSSS, there is almost no way the hybrid could out handle the 460, 460 DOES have the Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) too if you want comfort and/or sport mode.

out of everything that Faraaz23 mentioned, I will agree with the 8sp auto, it does take a quite a bit of time from the initial punch down of the accelerator for it to down shift and get the power in the right band, that's also another reason why it was kinda hard for me to go pass 4k rpm when I tried to gun it. Having this many gears is very helpful on the mileage but I think it compromises response time. (Henry, Care to share how it's like in the LS460? kinda hard to try out all the gears at taste of lexus due to its short course )

saying that hybrid has a better initial bite from the brake makes me feel like the reviewer is somewhat biased toward hybrid. Due to the regenerative braking, there was always something odd about the brakes, I was told by the sales when we owned our rx400h and also told by other owners and also confirmed by myself during taste of lexus, hybrid simply brakes differently than normal car, perhaps that's the reason why you felt a difference. Better bite? hardly.

perhaps I am a bit biased toward the 460, but prior to my purchase, I drove all types of GS extensively to see the difference. I finally settled on the 460 for reasons I previously stated.

if we can get some manufacturer to dyno the 460, we really do hope the 342hp is understated or perhaps future ECU adjustment can fully unleash the GS460 to its full 380hp like its big brother.

just my 2 cents...

while the gs460 is a bit lighter, but i won't say that automatically throw out the gs450h. remember, the gs has always been nose heavy. so the extra battery in the back of the gs450h might help to achieve better 50/50 distribution. and with different tranny / tq setup, the extra weight of the 450h over the 460 could be compensated.

again i am not saying one would handle better over the other for sure, but we need to compare apple to apple. you throw in APSSS on the 450h, then the 460 needs to have it as well

regarding the tranny, i actually think my ls460l shifts much much faster than my previous gs400 and sc430 already. maybe it has to do with your driving habits and how the car ecu has adapted to your driving (break in time). remember, the ecu is always learning your driving habits.

for me, when i am crusing at 80 on the freeway (2k rpm), if i want to pass, a slight push to the pedal and it kicks down to 6th right the way already and rpm jumps to 3k. several times i was doing maybe 65 or 70mph and i need to accel mad (to get over idiots), i floored the car and it kicked down to 4th (maybe?) and go to redline in no time.

of course, i am not denying that the cvt is always "faster" (coz' it's cvt), but i won't say it takes a long time for my ls460l to kick down the gear to roar
Old 01-22-08, 09:35 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I was about to say too, talk about unfair comparison, 460 can be equipped with APSSS. Not to mention 460 is lighter than the hybrid 3945 vs 4134. By both having APSSS, there is almost no way the hybrid could out handle the 460, 460 DOES have the Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) too if you want comfort and/or sport mode.

out of everything that Faraaz23 mentioned, I will agree with the 8sp auto, it does take a quite a bit of time from the initial punch down of the accelerator for it to down shift and get the power in the right band, that's also another reason why it was kinda hard for me to go pass 4k rpm when I tried to gun it. Having this many gears is very helpful on the mileage but I think it compromises response time. (Henry, Care to share how it's like in the LS460? kinda hard to try out all the gears at taste of lexus due to its short course )

saying that hybrid has a better initial bite from the brake makes me feel like the reviewer is somewhat biased toward hybrid. Due to the regenerative braking, there was always something odd about the brakes, I was told by the sales when we owned our rx400h and also told by other owners and also confirmed by myself during taste of lexus, hybrid simply brakes differently than normal car, perhaps that's the reason why you felt a difference. Better bite? hardly.

perhaps I am a bit biased toward the 460, but prior to my purchase, I drove all types of GS extensively to see the difference. I finally settled on the 460 for reasons I previously stated.

if we can get some manufacturer to dyno the 460, we really do hope the 342hp is understated or perhaps future ECU adjustment can fully unleash the GS460 to its full 380hp like its big brother.

just my 2 cents...
hybrid brakes differently because of 95% of the time the electric motors are slowing you down and thus you are not even using your brakes, in normal everyday driving (that is what the tech told me at taste of lexus) you are only using the brakes when you brake really hard and need to stop right away...in the gs450h...

i love both these cars gs450h and gs460...but i was somewhat disappointed when the gs460 wasnt 380hp, like the ls ...
Old 01-22-08, 04:56 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

both are great cars, each owner has their own wonderful thoughts, that's what makes this board so great.
I love my 450h, I like the 460, but I still think I am going to save another months $$ worth and get a 08 M5 SMG.
My wife will kill me but I jsut want more of an animal with a rock solid cornering ride.
Old 01-22-08, 05:27 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The M5 is an animal all right. What about all the other times that you do not want to race ?
Old 01-22-08, 05:46 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

I've had the SMG3, new m5 to drive for a week, and it actually isn't to neck snapping if you have it on setting 1, with the susp on the softest. Setting 5, is F1 style and completele 100% race mode!!! insane.
Still on those "comfort" settings it's still rougher by alot than the 450 I have, but not worht complaining about.
For the long trips, we can't even take my car anyways, b/c of the no trunk so we always take the GX.
Soon that will go it's own way and she will have the new LX, but for now, that will be our commuter (GX).

I'm still debating, no irrational decision, gotta think this one out.....
still debating... not 100%, more like 54% sure.
Old 01-25-08, 08:06 PM
bturkel1@v
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I traded a 545i - All modded out for a 450H beacause of it being a unique car - I love the quiet ride - I almost finished my mods on 450h and wil post soon
Old 01-26-08, 10:21 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Gs450h still beats the V8...

When the GS450h first came out we got to test it in a slalom course and a straight acceleration course against the V8 at the time the GS430. From a standing start the GS450h would jump ahead of the GS430 to about two car lengths. The two cars would remain that far apart at about 1/8 mile which ended the course. The "from the brake" quote is talking about the standing start not a comparison of braking ability. We also got to drive through the slalom with the standard suspension and the active suspension. The active suspension was so much better and stayed remarkably flat in the cones. Lastly the extra weight of the battery and active suspension in the trunk area gave the car a balanced feel. We just got the new GS460's in and I haven't spent a lot of time driving it to comment about slow downshifts but I wish Lexus would promote it with more panache. It is what we call a "stealth launch".....

Rock
Old 01-26-08, 10:26 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^ What about the TV commericals 'doughnut' and 'ettiquette' - I thought Lexus did a great job getting the new '08 GS out to the public at launch. . .
Old 01-26-08, 05:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i hope the gs460 is at least faster than the 450h, otherwise the "342hp" only makes it more silly
Old 01-26-08, 06:40 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's find out...
Old 03-12-08, 11:08 AM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
nice review, but i can't agree on the handling part. you drove a 450h with APSSS, but how about the gs460? if it has the APSSS as well, i would imagine handling to be extremely similar. if the gs460 has APSSS but the 450h still handles better, then i agree with you and probably the 450h has better weight distribution

and also, couple posts talked about that the 450h in PWR is a totally different animal
I'm afriad it will still handle better. Don't forget about batteries in the trunk, which gives you better weight ratio between axles (51x49) It is a main factor in handling...

Quick Reply: GS460 vs GS450h (both brand new)