Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Help me locate my 400h!/Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-08, 03:44 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help me locate my 400h!/Questions

I am getting close to buying a 2008 400h but I have a few questions and one request:

1) Is there adaptive cruise control on the 08's or 09's?

2) Does anyone have a pics of the factory rear entertainment system?

3) I currently own a RX330, as far as driving everyday, are there any special precautions that must be taken because it's a hybrid? Can you do/not do anything that you can do with the RX330?

4) Is the walnut wood trim on the grey interior a special order only item? If not, see request below?

5) What are all the differences between the 2006/07/08/09 400h's? I say this because the thread below indicates some changes will happen but the dealers I have talked to say the 09 will be the same all the 08 model.

Request:
Depending on some of the answers above, I would like to see if anyone can find a 2008/09 RX400h Silver/grey with the walnut wood trim (this is key). Must be BRAND new, never titled and fully loaded. The car must be either sitting on a showroom floor and on it's way ( I need it quick so I am trying to avoid a special order). If the right car is found, I will try to come up with a finders fee for the person who found it.

Thanks for all the help!

James

Last edited by james6290; 01-30-08 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-29-08, 04:27 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5) What are all the differences between the 2006/07/08/09 400h's?

Look at the threads 2009 Lexus RX400h and 06 vs 07 vs 08 below yours.

3) Drives the same the RX400h has more POWER and stands a bit higher than the RX350 (son had a RX350 as a loaner)

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE NO GOOD YEAR TIRES

Originally Posted by james6290
I am getting close to buying a 2008 400h but I have a few questions and one request:

3) I currently own a RX330, as far as driving everyday, are there any special precautions that must be taken because it's a hybrid? Can you do/not do anything that you can do with the RX330?

4) Is the walnut wood trim on the grey interior a special order only item? If not, see request below?

Request:
Depending on some of the answers above, I would like to see if anyone can find a 2008/09 RX400h Silver/grey with the walnut wood trim (this is key). Must be BRAND new, never titled and fully loaded. The car must be either sitting on a showroom floor and on it's way ( I need it quick so I am trying to avoid a special order). If the right car is found, I will try to come up with a finders fee for the person who found it.

Thanks for all the help!

James
Old 01-29-08, 04:43 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

I talked with my dealer yesterday and he said the 09's were going to be exactly the same as the 08's...
Old 01-30-08, 01:35 AM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Request:

Thanks for all the help!

James
1) There is adaptive cruise but it really depends on where you live if they ship any with it equipped, you might have to search harder if you want this feature.

2) i dont, sorry

3)nope, its basically the same. Well i never drove a RX330. but i drive a 400h and theres nothing special i have to do because its a hybrid

4) i dont know if its a special order but we got ours in that color and it was already on the lot.

5)Theres another thread on this topic, and the 09 RX hasn't come out yet.

and i will try to help you out later with finding one.
Old 01-30-08, 12:49 PM
BobBass
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

My dealer (LexusOfChesterSprings -suburban Philadelphia, PA) has a silver 400h equipped just like my Crystal White...pretty much everything EXCEPT RES, ML, adaptive cruise. MSRP is $49,995.

If you're looking for those additional options, good luck "happening" across one. Most of them, in my experience, have to be special ordered.
Old 01-30-08, 02:41 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BobBass
My dealer (LexusOfChesterSprings -suburban Philadelphia, PA) has a silver 400h equipped just like my Crystal White...pretty much everything EXCEPT RES, ML, adaptive cruise. MSRP is $49,995.

If you're looking for those additional options, good luck "happening" across one. Most of them, in my experience, have to be special ordered.
Are the few special order only items worth it? ML/ACC/RSES?
Old 01-30-08, 05:00 PM
BobBass
Intermediate

Are the few special order only items worth it? ML/ACC/RSES?
In my case, there is absolutely no need for the RES. Not only that, but when my wife and I were looking at RX's in the showroom and she climbed in the rear seat, first thing she did was conk her head on it. The display was down, I think. Of course, that's the kind of thing that only happens once. One good thing, however, is that it includes a (relatively low wattage) AC outlet if that's useful for you.

We have Adaptive Cruise on our Sienna MiniVan and although it works as advertised, I find it more annoying than useful. Maybe it's my experience using traditional cruise control, but what I find is when you're cruising along in the right lane and come up on somebody going slightly slower, your vehicle starts slowing down VERY gradually (which is supposed to happen.)

By the time you realize it and pull out to pass, the engine RACES to bring you back up to your preset speed. I suppose if you anticipate those situations, it works out really well. But, I find it easier just to use the "regular" cruise control and pull into the left lane like you normally would according to the speed differential. ACC is really cool and hi-tech, but I hardly use it.

The comparison between ML and non-ML audio systems have been discussed ad infinitum on this board. Never having experienced one, I can't discuss it accurately. I'm a musician and although the stock system is far from perfect, it suffices for me.

May I suggest that you do a search for ML on this board and check out other opinions?
Old 01-30-08, 08:06 PM
vulpasin
Driver School Candidate

As far as I know, adaptive cruise control is a special order feature for RX400h...I insisted on it, and since I couldn't find it anywhere I had to have my RX 4000h on special order.

We have Adaptive Cruise on our Sienna MiniVan and although it works as advertised, I find it more annoying than useful. Maybe it's my experience using traditional cruise control, but what I find is when you're cruising along in the right lane and come up on somebody going slightly slower, your vehicle starts slowing down VERY gradually (which is supposed to happen.)
I first got a car with adaptive cruise control when I purchased the Sienna XLE Limited. I was very happy with it and, in fact, I decided that from now on I want all my cars to have such a feature, it's great

I don't know why you don't like it, I love it...especially when I go for a long trip on Freeway, I go to the left lane, I get behind another driver who's driving pretty fast and smooth (and drives in a nicely manner, without sharp direction changes, sharp acceleration and sudden breaks) I set the A.C.C. on 83 MPH*** (that's maximum) and the car (and the guy ahead) does all the driving for me OF COURSE, THE SAFE DRIVING RULES STILL APPLY, AND I HAVE TO STAY ALERT AND ANTICIPATE WHAT HAPPENS AHEAD...but in a normal traffic conditions, you don't have to touch the gas or the brake for looooong periods of time.

***Setting the cruise control on 83MPH doesn't mean that I'm driving at that speed...I'm driving at the speed of the car ahead....which could be as low as 28MPH.
And another thing, if I'm over the speed limit, I keep an eye open for radar detection, which if it happens to be on the freeway is a good chance it's going to get the guy ahead, not me, the one who follows and has time to react
Old 01-31-08, 08:51 AM
BobBass
Intermediate

Regarding ACC, I do not do a lot of crowded freeway driving (lucky me!) I don't doubt that under those conditions and spending a lot of time in the left lane, ACC would be a help.

It's just that under LIGHT freeway conditions where you move back over to the right lane after passing, even with the ACC setting on "least distance between vehicles," it seems to "kick in" before I'm ready to move over into the left lane to pass the next vehicle.

For example, I'll be moseying along at 70 mph in the right lane approaching a vehicle going 65 mph. Next thing I know, I've dropped 5 mph or so and when I pull over to make the pass, the engine races to make up that lost 5 mph. To be fair, it's probably more of a case that I have to adjust to how the ACC works in different conditions.

Regardless, what's really cool is that you always have the option of using traditional cruise control.
Old 02-03-08, 08:21 PM
vulpasin
Driver School Candidate

For example, I'll be moseying along at 70 mph in the right lane approaching a vehicle going 65 mph. Next thing I know, I've dropped 5 mph or so and when I pull over to make the pass, the engine races to make up that lost 5 mph. To be fair, it's probably more of a case that I have to adjust to how the ACC works in different conditions.
What I do, when I'm approaching slower vehicles...I'm preparing for passing, I put my foot on the gas pedal and I override the ACC, avoiding the slowing down...the advantage of the ACC in comparison with regular cruise control is that you don't have to cancel the ACC, you control the speed with your foot...with the regular C.C. it has to be cancelled in order not to hit the guy in front of you...

However, is something I don't like about the ACC: it increases/decreases the speed (using the lever) in increments of 5 miles, not mile by mile like the regular cruise control. for example: you drive at CC speed of 66 and want to go a couple of miles higher...if you push the lever up it will go to 70...the only way to set it to an odd speed (68 in this particular example) is to cancel it, accelerate at the desired speed and then push the lever down to set it to that speed.

And another thing: when you're on curvy roads and pass other cars (especially big trucks) while the road is turning to the left, sometimes the ACC senses the other vehicle and tries to slow down...I was very annoyed at the beginning about this situation, now I got used with it, an I'm prepared with the right foot next to the gas pedal, if needed.

I guess nothing is perfect in this world...but still, I love this new technology