Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Do your guys hear the AC motor noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-08, 06:34 PM
clickart
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Do your guys hear the AC motor noise?

I have a 07' 400h and every time I change the AC mode, I hear a low motor noise in the dashboard. Is this normal? I have owned several Lexus and I did not hear any motor noise in the dashboard when I changed the mode in the AC. I only hear this when the music is turned off and engine not kicking in (ICE MODE). Can you guys test to see if your 400h does the same as mine? Thank you in advance!
Old 03-05-08, 07:30 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clickart
I have a 07' 400h and every time I change the AC mode, I hear a low motor noise in the dashboard. Is this normal? I have owned several Lexus and I did not hear any motor noise in the dashboard when I changed the mode in the AC. I only hear this when the music is turned off and engine not kicking in (ICE MODE). Can you guys test to see if your 400h does the same as mine? Thank you in advance!
I have noticed it a little in my 2006 RX400h but my son has heard it in his GS300 AWD they are using motors to control the vents. I leave the AC/heat set at 73 automatic and never bother. Then again I have the ham radio on all the time. I have limited hearing in one ear to boot.
Old 03-05-08, 10:31 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The key word is "engine not kicking in".

i.e. you'll notice noise that is usually masked by the engine.
Old 03-06-08, 09:27 AM
chaitov52
Rookie

Post 08 400h

I haven't heard anything . . . yet. But I've only got 300 miles on the car.

Last edited by chaitov52; 03-06-08 at 09:28 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-06-08, 01:35 PM
davidsong
Lead Lap

yeah, its normal... just the bad quality of the car. cannot really complain much other than the fact that the car itself is really bad.

oh, btw, after a few more thousand miles you will start to hear squeaking noises all over the place. my 400h and my friends' all have the annoying squeaking noises.
Old 03-06-08, 04:56 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by davidsong
yeah, its normal... just the bad quality of the car. cannot really complain much other than the fact that the car itself is really bad.

oh, btw, after a few more thousand miles you will start to hear squeaking noises all over the place. my 400h and my friends' all have the annoying squeaking noises.

My 2006 is quiet as a church mouse no noise at all.
Old 03-07-08, 05:23 PM
davidsong
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by herbvdh
My 2006 is quiet as a church mouse no noise at all.
lucky you.... mine is annoying as hell, trying to get rid of it but the trade in and private sale $ sux so much.. should have just bought a toyota hybrid if i knew the lexus 400h was gonna suck.
Old 03-08-08, 08:20 AM
chaitov52
Rookie

Post Noise coming from battery vents

Originally Posted by davidsong

I've begun to hear a noise that is hard to describe coming from the vents that run under the back seat where the batteries are supposed to be. Every once in awhile, it sounds like a large truck is coming up behind me. Don't know if there are fans inside that thing or not but if that is the price to pay every once in awhile, I don't mind. It's new technology and I'm enjoying the h*** out of driving this thing. Hope I don't become disenchanted over time if more noises start to appear as seems to be the case with your experience.
Old 03-08-08, 06:53 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chaitov52
I've begun to hear a noise that is hard to describe coming from the vents that run under the back seat where the batteries are supposed to be. Every once in awhile, it sounds like a large truck is coming up behind me. Don't know if there are fans inside that thing or not but if that is the price to pay every once in awhile, I don't mind. It's new technology and I'm enjoying the h*** out of driving this thing. Hope I don't become disenchanted over time if more noises start to appear as seems to be the case with your experience.
Yes there are cooling fans where the vents are to cool the battery. They only come on if necessary. Are you running the A/C inside the cabin? If the interior is a comfortable temperature, the fans shouldn't come on (I didn't hear mine come on in 31°C weather).
Old 03-09-08, 02:18 PM
spamcop
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the noise pop up on occasion. Mine sounds like a small leaf stuck in the fan under the glove box. I only notice it every once in a while. I took it to the dealer and was met with "cannot duplicate."

All cars are probably going to have an annoyance here and there. Mine has a few. Some are easily remedied (like making the goodyears go away, no, I can't let that dead horse lie ) and some not so much (voice command making guesses as to what I said).

Let us know if there's a remedy.

Also, sounds like David got a Friday car. Trade that puppy in!
Old 03-09-08, 04:49 PM
chaitov52
Rookie

Red face No A/C

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Yes there are cooling fans where the vents are to cool the battery. They only come on if necessary. Are you running the A/C inside the cabin? If the interior is a comfortable temperature, the fans shouldn't come on (I didn't hear mine come on in 31°C weather).
I'm not running the A/C right now as the temps have been in the high 70s with no more than 10% humidity, feels like the mid 60s here in the desert. The sound of a rushing truck coming up on my behind doesn't happen often, but I just wondered, and you guys answered what I thought it was . . . fan noise. Again, I feel this nuance goes with the territory and the trade-off is worth it.

Thanks.
Old 03-10-08, 04:05 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

I'm not running the A/C right now as the temps have been in the high 70s with no more than 10% humidity, feels like the mid 60s here in the desert. The sound of a rushing truck coming up on my behind doesn't happen often, but I just wondered, and you guys answered what I thought it was . . . fan noise. Again, I feel this nuance goes with the territory and the trade-off is worth it.

Thanks.
Ahh ok. Yeah I don't know about humidity (although 10% is quite low) but yeah the battery is temperature sensitive.
Old 03-10-08, 05:03 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks.
I had several trips today one time I licked my fingers and reached back to the vent to see if I felt any thing like a fan running I did notice some air as my fingers got cool. I ran with the heat/AC off noticed the same so I know it was not the heat/AC. I made another run tonight and totally forgot to turn the heat/AC on even never heard any sound of a rushing truck at all. IMHO You have nothing to loose to ask the dealer at your next service about it.