Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

New GS450h owner comments and favorite features

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-08, 02:29 PM
oscarmacho
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New GS450h owner comments and favorite features

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. Great info on this site. Just bought a 2008 GS 450H and the car is incredible. Am loving it and when compared to the competition, I think nothing can compete with the GS.
When i was doing research, I got bogged down by what I truly believe is a bias the car magazines have towards german cars. They complain about the GS' electronic "nanny" feel. After having owned the car for a month or so, I really don't get it. I drove it through a canyon as fast as I could ever want to and I didn't notice any electronic control taking over.
And by the way, me being in my thirties, I don't mind if the car thinks I'm about to get into a crash and decides I'm better off backing off and it intervenes a little bit.
What I think is happening is these car magazines are drawing conclusions and making recommendations on cars by exploring the absolute outer limit of a car. That is all well and good but in day to day driving, that has nothing to do with how cars are driven in real world conditions.
Favorite features in no particular order:
1) ML Sound system off the charts.
2) Climate controlled seats
3) Gas mileage when you consider the power and performance of the gs450h
4) Interior storage bins a great improvement over my Audi A8
5) Love the quietness of the hybrid, really helps me relax in traffic.
6) The presumed reliability. I've purchased my last German car I was in the shop twice a month the last 6 years.
Take care.
Old 03-14-08, 02:54 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats' on your new car, the 450h is indeed a fantastic car !
Old 03-14-08, 05:55 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

oscarmacho. I think you hit the nail right on the head. These car magazines takes sport sedans to the race track and compare them according to performance. That’s all good except 90% of the owners never drive their cars at that speed. Most magazine editors totally ignore luxury, comfort, ride quality, reliability, built material and built quality. I think as a car buyer, you need to know what your priorities are. If performance is a top priority and you plan to keep your car stock, then the GS is not the right car. To me, the GS is a Jack of all trades, it does every well but does not stand out in any one particular area.
Old 03-16-08, 11:33 AM
BKruptcyJD
Rookie

Congrats. Love my ride too. Agreed on most of the points, especially the quietness. My top pros are the immediate accelleration and the gas mileage, but I don't love the storage.

Ironically, we currently have an Audi and the storage in the Lexus is significantly better. However, I've had Acuras in the past and I think some of their interior features are better placed & the Nav is definitely better.
Old 03-16-08, 02:13 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! Another Audi A8 ex-owner, welcome!
Old 03-16-08, 02:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Congrats oscar on the GS450h. You were in the shop twice a month for 6 years with an A8!? What were the laundry list of problems?
Old 03-16-08, 05:27 PM
oscarmacho
Driver School Candidate

90 percent of the problems I had with the a8 were electrical. Always under warranty but always inconvenient. I would get the car serviced and two weeks later a light would go on the dash telling me to take it back in for service. The quality control of audi is terrible.
Old 03-16-08, 05:29 PM
quezacotl
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by oscarmacho
Just wanted to say hi to everyone. Great info on this site. Just bought a 2008 GS 450H and the car is incredible. Am loving it and when compared to the competition, I think nothing can compete with the GS.
When i was doing research, I got bogged down by what I truly believe is a bias the car magazines have towards german cars. They complain about the GS' electronic "nanny" feel. After having owned the car for a month or so, I really don't get it. I drove it through a canyon as fast as I could ever want to and I didn't notice any electronic control taking over.
And by the way, me being in my thirties, I don't mind if the car thinks I'm about to get into a crash and decides I'm better off backing off and it intervenes a little bit.
What I think is happening is these car magazines are drawing conclusions and making recommendations on cars by exploring the absolute outer limit of a car. That is all well and good but in day to day driving, that has nothing to do with how cars are driven in real world conditions.
Favorite features in no particular order:
1) ML Sound system off the charts.
2) Climate controlled seats
3) Gas mileage when you consider the power and performance of the gs450h
4) Interior storage bins a great improvement over my Audi A8
5) Love the quietness of the hybrid, really helps me relax in traffic.
6) The presumed reliability. I've purchased my last German car I was in the shop twice a month the last 6 years.
Take care.
Welcome to the forum. Except for the diminished trunk space due to the battery, which 4 ppl's luggages prob won't fit comfortably, GS 450h is a wonderful car. Power, efficiency, and environmental friendliness
Old 03-16-08, 09:33 PM
rainforest
Rookie

I have had the 450h for over a year now. Everything is great, but my biggest complaint is the ride and the handling. It seems to excel at neither. The ride is somewhat harsh, and there is quite a bit of body roll in corners. This is my biggest complaint, compared to a BMW 5 series.

Other than that, everything else is great, including the quality, navigation, gadgets, fuel efficiency, power, etc.
Old 03-16-08, 09:36 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

congrats on your new car I think GS450H is one of the best car out on the market right now.
Old 03-17-08, 08:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Originally Posted by rainforest
I have had the 450h for over a year now. Everything is great, but my biggest complaint is the ride and the handling. It seems to excel at neither. The ride is somewhat harsh, and there is quite a bit of body roll in corners. This is my biggest complaint, compared to a BMW 5 series.

Other than that, everything else is great, including the quality, navigation, gadgets, fuel efficiency, power, etc.
Isn't it true that in Canada you couldn't get the active rear stabilizer bar system like they have in the U.S.? I think that would help a lot.

As for being 'harsh', maybe it could be hard tires?
Old 03-17-08, 08:57 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Does any sport sedan compare to the BMW's ride and handling in this price range?
Old 04-02-08, 09:06 AM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess we've been riding the same wagon. I just got mine 08 450h (first lexus), which replaced bmw 645, and have to say I'm a little disappointed. Handling doesn't even compare to bmw... I really have to fight the car during heavy acceleration. This was never a case with bimmer including on uneven surfaces...
Audio... sounds great, but base vibrations transferred to your body from the door speaker are very uncomfortable...
Another thing that killed my very short happiness was creaking dashboard, which seems to be an issue for years now...
I hope reliability will stand to lexus's name... I had ZERO issues with bmw... and expect same from lexus...
Old 04-02-08, 04:49 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this the white/ cashmere one from lexus monterey? If so, dang I was about to make an offer on it when they said it sold. If you dont mind me asking, what did you pay for it?
Old 04-02-08, 05:08 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats on the GS and welcome to Club Lexus!

Quick Reply: New GS450h owner comments and favorite features