Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

First Mountain Trip

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-08, 09:31 AM
chaitov52
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up First Mountain Trip

Just returned from Big Bear Lake with an alternate trip into Los Angeles putting 600 new miles on the RX. We averaged 26.8 mpg during the entire trip and that included using the A/C and driving 70 mph on the highway. That's up from 19.6 mpg we used to get on average in our Northstar AWD Cadillac SRX. We are very pleased.

New things I hadn't noticed before in city driving:
1. The CVT sounds like it is "slipping" when it accelerates at various points; and the engine sounds like it is running at high rpms. But the car gets to the speed you need quickly. When we weren't in cruise control, I noticed if I backed off the accelerator, the CVT "sounded" like it "grabbed" and the whinning of the engine decreased. Guess it's just the way a CVT works because I experienced this on another SUV with CVT and walked away thinking the technology was suspect;
2. The car is the quietest vehicle in the back seat we have ever owned;
3. The seats in the RX are significantly improved since its introduction here in the U.S. as an RX300;
4. Gas mileage was much better than expected;
5. Handling was poorer than expected:
-- the RX still leans too much in cornering and this is something Lexus should address IMO;
6. The new Bridgestone Alenzas were as quiet as the Michelins we replaced, but the snow had melted by the time we got to Big Bear, so will have to wait until next winter to see how they perform in snow and on ice;
7. Back to the CVT: love the constant availability of torque; no more downshifted acceleration on cruise control that seems to rocket you into the next decalogue of speed, just smooth correction in speed maintenance;
8. B-shift mode: Sorry to keep disagreeing with the Prius owners, but B-shift mode DOES recharge the battery quicker. First trip down the mountain I used B-shift and the battery instantly charged and stayed charged; second time down I didn't use B-shift and the battery fully charged after considerable brakings and it didn't stay fully charged. That doesn't mean I'll use B-mode all the time, I've actually stopped using it in city driving as I noticed that when I am coasting in B-mode, the current mpg reading is less than 99.9 mpg, so there is resistance going on as pointed out by other members have noted;
9. The dogs love center console and Jack rides right next to me sitting up watching the trees and trucks go by without a whimper; Annie just goes catatonic as usual until we arrive at our destination;
10. The A/C system is extremely versatile. I rode in the back seat after we got down the mountain going home and was completely comfortable even without the aid of the center console back A/C vents;
11. The reclining back seat feature is really great for a tall guy as I am 6'1" with a long torso; just need to remember to raise the head restraint in case of a rear-end accident;
12. Noticed some unexpected wind turbulence from the rear door window but the car is so quiet and no radio used with the dogs in the car that it may be unfair to mention it because I'm not complaining; just surprised;
13. Still getting favorable comments on our Brandywine Mica color which is surprising to me; had a woman get me to roll down the passenger window at a red light to tell me how be-U-tee-full the color/car was. Felt good.
14. The trip into LA was hell; took 3-1/2 hours going when it used to take just under 2 hours 8 years ago when we were weekenders going from Big Bear to LA on a Sunday. But the pleasant surprise was that the stop and go traffic did not affect the avg. mpg and the car took the I-10 expansion joints better than expected with the new Alenza tires.

All in all, this purchase was the right decision for my family and our needs.

Last edited by chaitov52; 03-28-08 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-28-08, 12:13 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice report, thanks!

Guess we'll just chalk up B as the lazy man's full regen just like N is the lazy man's glide (instead of lightly pressing the throttle).

By no means am I calling you a "lazy man" but just saying it's an easier way to perform the same task. .
Old 03-28-08, 06:14 PM
chaitov52
Rookie

Lightbulb Lazy B

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Nice report, thanks!

Guess we'll just chalk up B as the lazy man's full regen just like N is the lazy man's glide (instead of lightly pressing the throttle).

By no means am I calling you a "lazy man" but just saying it's an easier way to perform the same task. .
Had brunch today with a Prius-owner friend and he told me Lexus is coming out with their version of the Prius next year and wondered if you know anything about it? Supposedly is coinciding with the Toyota model change . . .

Cheers
Old 03-28-08, 06:44 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, I haven't heard any more than you guys have regarding the Lexus hybrid-only model. I figured you guys will know first since it's a Lexus .

However, a recent news report regarding Toyota increasing the output of the Prius by 60% states that part of the increase will come with the 3rd generation Prius which "could come as early as next year"

So it might come as a 2010 model next January or next Sept but definitely nothing for this calendar year.
Old 03-29-08, 08:50 PM
chaitov52
Rookie

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Nextourer
No, I haven't heard any more than you guys have regarding the Lexus hybrid-only model. I figured you guys will know first since it's a Lexus .

However, a recent news report regarding Toyota increasing the output of the Prius by 60% states that part of the increase will come with the 3rd generation Prius which "could come as early as next year"

So it might come as a 2010 model next January or next Sept but definitely nothing for this calendar year.
Guess we'll have to wait and see how Toyota treats both models.