Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

08 RX 400H owners and Coastaletech

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-08, 03:18 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UCLAAlum
I came across this:

http://www.wikihow.com/Override-Lexu...on-Motion-Lock

And IT WORKS. I JUST TRIED IT! I was considering getting the Lockpick 3 but decided to search the web more since a friend of ours tried the Override method on his 2008 Toyota Truck NAV.

I'm not sure if someone else has posted this information earlier. I apologize if this has already been mentioned.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

I dont think you can do that unlock sequence on any 08 Lexus Navigation units. The video shows the guy has a second Garmin Nav which defeats the purpose of the primary car navigation, why would I have two navigation units? Its just cheaper to buy the Lock Pick 3 basic.
Old 09-20-08, 04:20 PM
JLA
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Spares Toolkit?

As reported by ecount00 in the RX350 forum, I can confirm the DVD Nav system is underneath the rear cargo floor in the 2008 RX 400H and underneath the little spares tools provided by Lexus (on right side of tray). The picture attached shows the spare tool kit; the little yellow dots are where two plastic screws are located (which must be removed with a screwdriver to pry them loose); the NAV DVD player is below the spares tool kit (marked with a red line showing where a little plastic door is located).

To remove the tray, I removed the plastic threaded screws (I put two yellow dots where these plastic screws are in the picture). However, I cannot pull the tray out - it feels like it is stuck on something, so I did not force it.

Does anyone know how to remove it without breaking it? I can slide my fingers underneath the back of the tray (closest to trunk door) - but it won't pull outward or up. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails 08 RX 400H owners and Coastaletech-sparetoolstray.jpg  
Old 10-19-08, 04:47 PM
JLA
10th Gear

Default Basic Lockpick-3 does work in 2008 RX400h!

I went ahead and purchased the Basic Lockpick-3 (based upon input from someone in the RX350 forum) and it works just fine on my 2008 RX400H with ML audio.

Attached are some pics of the Basic Lockpick 3 (which does just clip in to the NAV unit). The hardest part was lifting the spares tray open just enough so I could get my hand in to install this handy little device on the NAV system. I would not have done this had it been intrusive (it will also be easy to remove it).

Be advised that when you disconnect the cable from the NAV system, your previous entered waypoints get erased, and you also have to reset your NAV system section to proper area of the country (e.g., I live on west coast and it reset to east coast). However, all stored memory points and quickpoints (1...n) are retained.

This is a handy device when I am traveling somewhere with my wife who can now use the NAV system while we are driving; to activate the unit you have to click on a little icon in the upper left of the NAV destination screen. That's it.
Attached Thumbnails 08 RX 400H owners and Coastaletech-dsc_2377a.jpg  
Old 10-19-08, 05:03 PM
JLA
10th Gear

Default Pic of Lockpick 3

A picture of the navigation override (nav bypass) Lockpick 3 with installation / user instructions (from Coastaltech).

BTW - I have the DVD Nav system 7 (original equipment) from Lexus on this car.
Attached Thumbnails 08 RX 400H owners and Coastaletech-dsc_2376b.jpg  
Old 10-20-08, 09:34 AM
mwcfire
Driver School Candidate

Great! Thanks for the posts and pictures too!

Also, I can verify on an '08 RX400H w/o ML system the override sequence mentioned on WIKI How DOES NOT WORK.

Basic Lockpick 3 for me too I guess......

Last edited by mwcfire; 10-20-08 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-27-08, 09:06 PM
dhuston99
Driver School Candidate

Can you tell me if the lockpick 3 lets you browse mp3 info while driving?
Old 11-04-08, 05:11 PM
JLA
10th Gear

In my experience, the Basic Lockpick 3 only enables you to use the NAV system while the car is in motion; I don't believe it offers any additional functionality beyond that. Coastaltech offers more advanced models, but I stayed clear of them as they seemed a bit difficult to install and all I really needed / wanted was my NAV system enabled, especially when on long trips with a navigator in the passenger seat!

BTW - the XM radio option which I have does display the artist information and song names (truncated) - standard XM radio feature from Lexus regardless of whether or not the Lockpick is installed.
Old 11-13-08, 03:08 PM
performanc
Driver School Candidate

Very easy install with JLS's pics and DIY instructions; don't forget to press the red "bull's eye" at the left upper screen to activate Nav control ability function while moving.

Perfect fit and function in my 08 400h
Old 12-02-08, 03:58 PM
wildta
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone tried the ULTIMATE LOCKPICK 3+ W/ ADDRESS ENTRY OPTION yet?

http://www.coastaletech.com/lockpick3.htm

I think that's the one I want but not sure if it works with the RX400h '08.
Old 12-04-08, 08:37 AM
wiz077
Driver School Candidate

Default Nav unlock

Here in Europe I have just purchased Nav Map update DVD and it
unlocked the Nav so I can enter address while driving. No need
for lockpick anymore
Old 12-08-08, 03:59 PM
wildta
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wiz077
Here in Europe I have just purchased Nav Map update DVD and it
unlocked the Nav so I can enter address while driving. No need
for lockpick anymore
Has anyone in the US tried this?
Old 12-12-08, 09:09 AM
josquin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wildta
Has anyone in the US tried this?
The 08 map data for the RX400h does not do anything to unlock navigation while driving.

Basic Lockpick 3, however, works beautifully on the RX400h.
Old 12-29-08, 04:14 PM
NeoNz
Driver

my lockpick 3 basic works great on my 2008 rx400h, installed it last week thanks for the support on the forums.

one small issue, after i would enter in an address driving around using the lockpick hack, the map would go nuts and freeze or start veering off into the wrong direction. so basically i would just suspend guidance then resume it and it would be ok, worse came to worse i would suspend guidance and hack it then go to previous destinations.

NO the lockpick 3 basic doesn't let you "transfer call" during your conversation or change folders in MP3 cd's!!! but u can dial ur phone from the navi now.
Old 01-05-09, 08:11 PM
montclair
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Yes, it works.

Originally Posted by wildta
Has anyone tried the ULTIMATE LOCKPICK 3+ W/ ADDRESS ENTRY OPTION yet?

http://www.coastaletech.com/lockpick3.htm

I think that's the one I want but not sure if it works with the RX400h '08.
I installed the Ultimate Lockpick 3+ in my 2008 RX400h. I don't have the ML stereo, DVD player in the dash , nor a rear DVD player.

The unit which attaches to the nav disc player (Basic Lockpick 3) installed in about 5 minutes.

The unit which installs behind the touch screen (Ultimate Lockpick 3) took much longer. You have to remove the radio and the screen assembly. It's very easy to loose 2 of the bolts on the radio unit. You have to be very careful to not scratch anything. I wrapped each "part" in towels to protect the finish. The cables behind each one are not long. I also used blue masking tape at all the joints. A little extra time doing protection will be worth it to protect the silver finish from scratches.

It works exactly as advertised. It's way cool that the Ultimate adds a DVD player to the head unit. When You push the Disc button, you get the DVD Player display. (If you load a CD it reverts to the CD Player.) I have plugged an Ipod into the auxiliary audio input and it works, but I have not tried the video input.

Go for it!

Rich