Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Mileage on a 200 mile trip - GS450h

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-08, 11:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,398 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by Modeler
I just returned from a trip from Washington DC to Virginia Beach, which is about 200 miles away. On the highway I used the cruise control to set speed of 74 mph (9 mph over speed limit hoping cops would leave me alone ), but had to occasionally speed up or slow down a bit for traffic. The resulting mileage was 31.4 mpg , which I consider pretty damn awesome.

We choose my car for this beach trip with two kids despite its challenging trunk over my wife's 2005 Honda Odyssey minivan. The minivan gets dismal mileage at real life highway speeds. At 74 mph it gets about 22-23 mpg, which really sucks relative to the stated 29 mpg highway mileage. My GS450h actually gets better mileage than was on the sticker.
Math time.

400 mi. round trip

at 31.4mpg in GSh = 12.74 gallons
at 23mpg in minivan = 17.39 gallons

Difference = 4.65 gallons
x $4.25/gallon
= $19.76

So you stuffed everyone and your stuff in your car to save $20.

Sign me up for the minivan instead!
Old 06-26-08, 02:47 PM
daepp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gs350

I just got 28mpg in my GS350 at 80 mph on a trip to San Diego. Mileage was based on a full tank.

I was alone, BTW, but it's hard for me to imagine taking on all that sophisticated hardware in the hybrid for an mpg under 40. But that's just me...
Old 06-26-08, 03:05 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Math time.

400 mi. round trip

at 31.4mpg in GSh = 12.74 gallons
at 23mpg in minivan = 17.39 gallons

Difference = 4.65 gallons
x $4.25/gallon
= $19.76

So you stuffed everyone and your stuff in your car to save $20.

Sign me up for the minivan instead!
You're right that it is not really worth it for the gas savings alone, but that was just one of the reasons to take my car. The main reason is that the 2005 Odyssey sucks *** in terms of comfort compared to my car. This includes the seat, the driving position (there is no telescoping steering wheel, and it is set way too far), the noise level, handling, power, and so on and so on.

By the way, you should not discount the psychological effect of getting 22-23mpg mileage in a minivan rated for 29mpg. It annoys me to no end!

And it really wasn't a big deal to fit a family of four for a three-night beach trip into the GS450h. We had one full size suitcase, one large wheeled carry-on, a twin inflatable bed, and some small beach junk -- all of these in the trunk. Then we had a small soft cooler in the cabin for drinks and snacks. Perfect fit!
Old 06-26-08, 03:26 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by daepp
I just got 28mpg in my GS350 at 80 mph on a trip to San Diego. Mileage was based on a full tank.

I was alone, BTW, but it's hard for me to imagine taking on all that sophisticated hardware in the hybrid for an mpg under 40. But that's just me...
I don't believe I have it wrong that the electric benefit of a hybrid is in city-type driving. On the highway, the mileage can be expected to be similar to the gas counterpart model.

If you look back some weeks here there was a link to a R&T long-term review on the 450h, and the average mileage at the end of the test was just over 25 mpg.
Old 06-27-08, 02:37 PM
daepp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drpepper
I don't believe I have it wrong that the electric benefit of a hybrid is in city-type driving. On the highway, the mileage can be expected to be similar to the gas counterpart model.

If you look back some weeks here there was a link to a R&T long-term review on the 450h, and the average mileage at the end of the test was just over 25 mpg.
Good point. Around town I get around 21-22. I could probably do better but I can't keep my foot out of it!
Old 06-27-08, 05:16 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

My RX400H also got much better MPGs than the factory claim. I just replaced the RX with the GS450H last Saturday but I haven't had the chance to drive it much to check the MPGs but so far with only about 30~40 miles on it the computer reading is 27.4 local low speed stop and go. The RX mileage got a lot better after a few thousand miles so I expect the same thing with the GS. How many miles do you have on your car, what grade gas, and what oil do you use?

I don't really care what brand I use but I insist on using 93 octane only, When I make my trips to NY I drive at the speed limit or above which is 60 to 70 MPH or slightly above, and I used "Mobile one synthetic oil" with the RX, and I intend on switching to synthetic oil after the first free oil change.
Old 06-27-08, 05:23 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lucasb7
I was using the method of accelerating then coasting (I forget what it is called, I read about it on the prius forum). So jolt to 70 coast to 60 over and over. works well and makes slow highway driving more fun!
I plead guilty to doing that but I only do it on back roads when no one is behind me. I think using the style of driving is bound to tick off another driver and get you involved in a "road rage" incident if you try it on the interstate
Old 06-27-08, 08:53 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha yeah, not for city driving, but it does make long road trips more interesting... "who can get the best milage???"
Old 06-29-08, 12:52 PM
supermaz
Driver School Candidate

reset the consumption screen at the beginning of my journey and that was the reading of av mpg at the end of it.
Old 06-29-08, 02:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by borg1of2
Sorry, I think I was asking both of you as you each indicated you were getting way better gas mileage then I have ever gotten. Currently I am getting, maybe 24 MPG. My driving is fairly simple 17 miles each way to and from work. Even on trips where I head over to Orlando I maybe was getting 27 and that was running around 78 mph with the cruise on.

I have spent time watching the mpg screen and the engine/electric motor screen to try and see how my foot pressure may or may not affect things. I think I generally give up and just press on the gas and accelerate, so I guess I have a lead foot and no patience. LOL

Any other tricks to improving and maintaining high gas mileage?

24 mpg is pretty good - because you are doing short trips.

My GS350 AWD gets 14 mpg in the city and 22 at 80-90mph highway, with fast but careful driving.

If I drive a bit faster in the city, 14 mpg is unatainable.

I would have gotten GS450h if not for the trunk which is just way to small.
Old 06-29-08, 04:22 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by supermaz
reset the consumption screen at the beginning of my journey and that was the reading of av mpg at the end of it.
I assume this is a response to my question--thanks.

I'm coming to the belief that there must be issues with the mpg display where it can be significantly skewed.

If you're interested in knowing and that's a trip you make regularly, you might try checking your mileage on your actual consumption and see how that compares to the display.

As you describe it, I don't think it's possible for you to take a 220 mile trip with 150 miles being freeway at 80-85 mph and average 37.4 mpg. On the freeway with a 450h, you are simply on a 3.5 liter V6 engine pushing a 4100 lbs car...80-85 mph. There's no reason to think that can be accomplished with consumption at that low of a level. No other 3.5 liter V6 can move a 2 ton vehicle maintaining those kinds of speeds at 37 mpg. Why should the GS?
Old 06-30-08, 10:30 AM
supermaz
Driver School Candidate

I assume this is a response to my question--thanks.

I'm coming to the belief that there must be issues with the mpg display where it can be significantly skewed.

If you're interested in knowing and that's a trip you make regularly, you might try checking your mileage on your actual consumption and see how that compares to the display.

As you describe it, I don't think it's possible for you to take a 220 mile trip with 150 miles being freeway at 80-85 mph and average 37.4 mpg. On the freeway with a 450h, you are simply on a 3.5 liter V6 engine pushing a 4100 lbs car...80-85 mph. There's no reason to think that can be accomplished with consumption at that low of a level. No other 3.5 liter V6 can move a 2 ton vehicle maintaining those kinds of speeds at 37 mpg. Why should the GS?
Yes I have since done the journey a further 3 times and I got between 34.5-35.5mpg, I still cannot where the extra nearly 2mpg has come from.
Old 06-30-08, 12:43 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by supermaz
Yes I have since done the journey a further 3 times and I got between 34.5-35.5mpg, I still cannot where the extra nearly 2mpg has come from.
I'll drop it after this

But again, does the 34.5-35.5 mpg come from the display or your own actual calculation of how far you traveled and how much gas was used for the trip?

I don't have standing to argue about it, but without seeing it for myself, I'm not going to believe that mix of driving and those freeway speeds could result in anything better than low to mid 20's
Old 07-01-08, 10:33 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

2 MPG isn't much it could be cause by the diffrence between a head wind and tail wind. use of the A/C, turning on the heated seats, warmer or cooler temperatures and dozens of other factors. I only have 130 miles on my car. I just filled it up and reset the computer. Right now it is at 25.6 MPG with mostly around town driving. I will calculate the real MPG the next fill up but right now it really does not matter until I get a few thousand miles on the engine.
Old 07-01-08, 02:57 PM
supermaz
Driver School Candidate

I'll drop it after this

But again, does the 34.5-35.5 mpg come from the display or your own actual calculation of how far you traveled and how much gas was used for the trip?

I don't have standing to argue about it, but without seeing it for myself, I'm not going to believe that mix of driving and those freeway speeds could result in anything better than low to mid 20's
From the display only - the only thing on that particular journey where I got the high mileage was that I did not use the A/C (even the the GS450h's a/c is powered by the synergy drive)

Quick Reply: Mileage on a 200 mile trip - GS450h