Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

Saw my LS600 in London

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-08, 11:17 PM
LS600guy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ikey78
What is the color of your LS600?
Good question - I don't know. Have to check with my dealer for the official color when I get back home at the end of the week. It's a very dark charcoal, almost black in shadow and deep gray in bright sunlight. I like it better than black, which is a bit corporate for my liking.

This LS600 was an interesting purchase for me. I normally buy the car rather than the badge, and in the past I've been very happy with Mercedes because of the quality. I drove several Lexi as loaners when I had my LX470 in for service over the past 4 years, and would not have bought any of them. The shape, the drive - all were subpar to the Mercs.

But the LS600hL - also a special 'loaner' a few weeks ago on my last LX470 service - got me so excited I couldn't wait to buy it. It was a done deal after only a few miles driving.

The shape was part of the appeal... it is a great looking auto, and I never thought of it as a corporate drive or chauffeur style vehicle, even though the passengers in the back get the most benefits.

It was more a combination appeal of quietness and gadgets. For all the upmarket cars I've owned, I never had 10% of the stuff the LS600 gives me. Phone, reversing camera, radar everywhere, soft-close doors... it is just like Xmas. Ostenstibly I bought it for safety and comfort, but also because it is classless, unlike Bentleys, RR and high-end Mercedes which are a rarity on New Zealand roads, and often frowned on in our tall poppy society.

The hybrid advantage was a small part of the buying decision, because, let's face it, there's not much advantage there for people who can afford to run such a car. I don't use that as a reason for the purchase either, but it's a mildly comforting thought. And the quietness when it runs on electric is very 21st century - I like it!

The only problem is parking. Because of its length - even though it's as long as the LX470 - I have had to do a lot more culling of parking opportunities, and this is a small disadvantage. I'm also not sure I want to leave it parked in any back alley either, so that is a bit limiting also.

On balance it's a great car. But I saw a lovely Bentley on the motorway yesterday...

--------------------------
2007 LS600hL, 5 seat
2000 LX470 (traded)

Mercedes SL500 AMG (sun)
Mercedes SLK 230 (wife)
Suzuki Grand Vitara (rain & runaround)

Last edited by LS600guy; 06-30-08 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-30-08, 11:40 PM
LS600guy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
...I fully expect to see some new LS460/600's there, & I was paying attention to look for them, so I'm a bit disappointed I didn't see one there.
I saw only a few S-class sedans there too, much less than I expected, we saw more Bentley's & RR's there than the S-class.
Lexus still sits low on the class scale, despite their advantages of quality and reliability. I doubt whether they will ever climb any further up the ladder - it simply is impossible to unseat the conservative luxury generation brought up on old-school, old money values.

However, that's the way I like it. The Lexus is more defined by its qualities rather than tradition and suits me just fine.

2007 LS600hL, 5 seat
2000 LX470 (traded)

Mercedes SL500 AMG (sun)
Mercedes SLK 230 (wife)
Old 07-01-08, 05:50 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does Paul McCartney lives in London ?
It is said that he owns a flat for personal use in Central London and a few other investment properties. But his main stay is out in the burbs approximately an hours drive away.
Old 07-02-08, 05:51 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CEOEngr
It is said that he owns a flat for personal use in Central London and a few other investment properties. But his main stay is out in the burbs approximately an hours drive away.
Continuing the LS 600h spottings in London, Sir Paul McCartney's LS 600h L has been photographed "for the first time as he was driven to his London recording studio."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...eamacca103.xml

Details, italics added:

The hybrid car features a powerful five-litre V8 petrol engine but produces relatively low carbon emissions. Such is vegetarian Sir Paul’s passion for animal rights issues and the environment that he took out the leather interior and had it replaced with cloth.

Lexus said of the decision to send the vehicle by plane: "To ensure the car’s quality and security, as well as to meet marketing deadlines, it was airshipped on a regularly-scheduled commercial flight to the UK."
Cloth interior LS 600h?

And custom license plate...
Attached Thumbnails Saw my LS600 in London-eamacca103.jpg  
Old 07-02-08, 05:54 PM
Vi-Tuyen
Driver

just got back from Vietnam, and they have over 10 LS460 and 2 LS600h in Saigon.
they are expensive over there. the prices are almost triple.
Old 07-02-08, 05:56 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Continuing the LS 600h spottings in London, Sir Paul McCartney's LS 600h L has been photographed "for the first time as he was driven to his London recording studio."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...eamacca103.xml

600hL in my favorite color

I wish there are pics of the cloth interior, probably something similar to the fabric interior of the base IS250 in Canada? or something better than that ?

Last edited by Gojirra99; 07-03-08 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Add picture
Old 07-02-08, 08:23 PM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vi-Tuyen
.................. in Saigon.
they are expensive over there. the prices are almost triple.

LOL. The super rich residents can afford it very comfortably. Between not paying 40%+ in taxes like us and the healthy income stream from rampant corruption.
Old 07-04-08, 06:14 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

600hL in my favorite color

I wish there are pics of the cloth interior, probably something similar to the fabric interior of the base IS250 in Canada? or something better than that ?
News reports say that McCartney's LS 600h L interior is green!

I haven't seen the IS 250 cloth version from Canada, but I have seen two first gen LS 400s in cloth, they seem rather different to the cloth RX 400h shown here:

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video...ef=videosearch

It's from a CNN program, "Art of Life," which airs from London mainly and did a demonstration of the RX 400h, with a blue cloth interior.

I'd like to see pics of the LS 460/600h in London, maybe a future trip someday...but you can guarantee that they will all have leather, except for a particular Noble Spinel Mica LS 600h with, shall we say, Rainforest Emerald cabin?
Old 07-04-08, 06:49 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

News reports say that McCartney's LS 600h L interior is green!
Wow, really ? Where did you hear that ? I don't think I would like it, especially paired with Noble Spinel Mica. Verdigris Mica maybe . . . I hope it's at least a very dark green fabric !!

Last edited by Gojirra99; 07-04-08 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-04-08, 07:11 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Wow, really ? Where did you here that ? I don't think I would like it, especially paired with Noble Spinel Mica. Verdigris Mica maybe . . . I hope it's at least a very dark green fabric !!
The news comes from the site that has the larger pic of Sir Paul's LS 600h in London, as posted above.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...les-Japan.html
(italics added)

Such is vegetarian Sir Paul's passion for issues surrounding animal rights and the environment that he took out the leather interior and had it replaced with cloth.

The singer demanded that no animal products were used in his new car and it has been fitted with a hand-stitched green woven fabric.
Well maybe this is a stretch, but the Beatles had their psychedelic color influences...

I'm imagining how it would look to see the red LS 600h roll down Abbey Road in London...
Old 07-04-08, 07:19 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

The news comes from the site that has the larger pic of Sir Paul's LS 600h in London, as posted above.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...les-Japan.html
(italics added)
LOL, yeah that's where I got the additional picture above, but I didn't bother to read through the entire article, so I didn't see the green fabric part
Old 07-07-08, 09:50 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Did they unkill the cow after he replaced the seats?
Old 07-08-08, 08:00 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by zzzzdoc
Did they unkill the cow after he replaced the seats?
It doesn't, & I'm no animal rights activist, I like premium leather seats, but I can certainly understand why he replaced them with fabric.

First, you are surrounded by leather when you're seating in a 600hL, you won't feel comfortable about that if you are repulsed by the idea of dead animal skins for seats & trims, plus its the image he wants to portray with the cloth seats.
Old 07-10-08, 02:55 PM
LS600guy
Rookie

Originally Posted by ikey78
What is the color of your LS600?
Now found out it's Graphic Mica.

2007 LS600hL, 5 seat
2000 LX470 (traded)

Mercedes SL500 AMG (sun)
Mercedes SLK 230 (wife)
Old 07-12-08, 02:32 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, we did have high tea there : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...01#post3566601

Back to Lexus, I fully expect to see some new LS460/600's there, & I was paying attention to look for them, so I'm a bit disappointed I didn't see one there.
I saw only a few S-class sedans there too, much less than I expected, we saw more Bentley's & RR's there than the S-class.

Surprising, i see S class and Ls460 all the time in dubai. and i do mean allllllllllllll the time.

Quick Reply: Saw my LS600 in London