Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

Heresy, I guess ... but WHY the LS600h?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-08, 03:05 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Heresy, I guess ... but WHY the LS600h?

I mean no offense to anyone, but I honestly can't figure why anyone would buy the 600h. Is it the exclusivity? The extra horsepower? The extra amenities?

I mean, the regular LS460 - with 380 hp - will haul all kinds of ***. And as for fuel economy, the 600h is rated at what, 20/22? I routinely get 18-18.5 mpg in town with my LS460, and 30 mpg on the highway at 80 mph is common, too.

So, what is the actual in-town mileage "h" owners are getting? And is it worth the extra $30,000 (given that $30k would buy a heck of a lot of gas!)?

Amenities ... I think there are some extras available only on the h, but I don't recall for sure. Maybe that's it.

Again, no offense intended ... I'm just curious.

Old 07-06-08, 04:21 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Well, it's all wheel drive...

That might be a reason for some. I also have an SUV and park my LS 460 in the bad weather. It doesn't do very well in the snow...

Craig
Old 07-06-08, 06:08 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Craig B
Well, it's all wheel drive...

That might be a reason for some. I also have an SUV and park my LS 460 in the bad weather. It doesn't do very well in the snow...

Craig
The LS 460/L does just fine in the snow with a set of snow tires. I was one of those that actually ordered the LS600HL about 6 months before it was available. As soon as I saw the specs on it I canceled my order. I was very disappointed to see that 20/22 mpg. What is the sense of getting a hybrid when the non hybrid actually gets as good or probably better gas mileage than the hybrid. I could not see paying 30K more for it either. I now see the LS600HL as a sort of a gimmick by Lexus. I am very happy with my LS460L.

We are leasing an RX400H for my wife. Actually, the lease has expired back in late April but I extended the lease by 6 months to see what will be available down the road. I am actually quite disappointed in the gas mileage that the RX400H gets as well. But I am going to call Lexus Finance to talk them into extending the lease until the new LS hybrid is available next summer or fall. I have heard that it will be about the size of the Camry but get up around 60mpg with much more luxury. I am pretty certain that Lexus will allow me to extend the lease for as long as I need to as long as I order another Lexus down the road.
Old 07-06-08, 06:46 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
But I am going to call Lexus Finance to talk them into extending the lease until the new LS hybrid is available next summer or fall. I have heard that it will be about the size of the Camry but get up around 60mpg with much more luxury.
Sounds more like an ES350h to me. I doubt Lexus would take its LS brand downmarket.

Not only that, that MPG sounds like Prius territory. MPG is still a function of Power/Weight ratio.
Old 07-06-08, 07:42 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Sounds more like an ES350h to me. I doubt Lexus would take its LS brand downmarket.

Not only that, that MPG sounds like Prius territory. MPG is still a function of Power/Weight ratio.
I apologize. I did not mean to say it would be an LS (I cannot get the LS off my mind ). It will be a Lexus luxury hybrid sedan with the new battery technology. It will indeed be getting 60mpg according to my dealer. It will be unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show this January. However, it is supposed to be shown to insiders this fall. I believe my dealer said that this will be in Chicago.
Old 07-06-08, 08:39 PM
Stoks
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I mean no offense to anyone, but I honestly can't figure why anyone would buy the 600h. Is it the exclusivity? The extra horsepower? The extra amenities?

I mean, the regular LS460 - with 380 hp - will haul all kinds of ***. And as for fuel economy, the 600h is rated at what, 20/22? I routinely get 18-18.5 mpg in town with my LS460, and 30 mpg on the highway at 80 mph is common, too.

So, what is the actual in-town mileage "h" owners are getting? And is it worth the extra $30,000 (given that $30k would buy a heck of a lot of gas!)?

Amenities ... I think there are some extras available only on the h, but I don't recall for sure. Maybe that's it.

Again, no offense intended ... I'm just curious.

You cannot make sense of the 600h. But then, what sense can you really make of ANY $110k+ automobile?

It's not about making sense, it's about the prestige factor. You don't buy the LS 600h because you can rationalize some value/function equation. You buy it because it has that $110k price tag and people who see you driving it know it's not a car that the average working Joe can drive.

I agree with your assessment, because I went through the same thought process as well. There's nothing to me that really makes sense about the 600h. But, my opinion is one that I arrived at because of the lens I view the world through. Others can look at the same car and arrive at a completely different conclusion. That's what makes the world such an interesting place
Old 07-07-08, 12:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

here's what i think. first of all on gas mileage, if you look at the EPA ratings, then compare the EPA ratings between the cars. do NOT through in any personal results, coz' that means nothing. EPA ratings is meant for comparison only.

if you look at the EPA ratings on 600hl, granted it's awd, it's actually a bit better than ls460, especially if you are talking about local. highway gas mileage on hybrid is never impressive (just look at other hybrid vehicles)

to me, i'd get 600hl coz' of the following priorities
1) smoothness / quietness -- you won't know until you drive one. if you think ls460 is quiet, till you get into the 600
2) exclusivity -- if i have the money, sure
3) power -- i don't care the numbers out there, but at high speed, the 600hl pulls
Old 07-07-08, 07:19 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
3) power -- i don't care the numbers out there, but at high speed, the 600hl pulls
Yep, don't just look at 0-60. Compared to other large V12 sedans, 600hL highway passing power second only to the S600 which has twin turbo's & has much more hp/torque.
Old 07-07-08, 08:02 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, I've heard the LS600h referred to as more of a "performance" hybrid than an "economy" hybrid.

And to be honest, I'd forgotten about the AWD aspect.

Still, for $30k, that's a pretty big bite to swallow, but if you have the dough ...

Old 07-07-08, 08:22 AM
DrComputer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To answer Mike_TX's original question I can only tell you why I purchased my LS600hL. Technology. I own a technology company and my decision to purchase was not based on price, gas mileage, or 0-60 performance alone. It was the entire package that makes it currently the most technologically sophisticated vehicle on the market. This is why I owned the LS430 Ultra Luxury edition before and why I have a Tesla Roadster on order now.

If practicality were the only factor when purchasing a car we would all be driving a Toyota Corola. But it's not. Personally I think Lexus did an excellent job of making a unique vehicle that will not appeal to everyone... just those who can see the merits of owning something advanced and different.

Like I said at the beginning, this is why I bought one. That's the great thing about capitalism... we all have the choice to purchase what we want. Obviously there are enough people paying the $30K premium to make it worth it for Lexus to build them.
Old 07-07-08, 08:41 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrComputer
To answer Mike_TX's original question I can only tell you why I purchased my LS600hL. Technology. I own a technology company and my decision to purchase was not based on price, gas mileage, or 0-60 performance alone. It was the entire package that makes it currently the most technologically sophisticated vehicle on the market. This is why I owned the LS430 Ultra Luxury edition before and why I have a Tesla Roadster on order now.

If practicality were the only factor when purchasing a car we would all be driving a Toyota Corola. But it's not. Personally I think Lexus did an excellent job of making a unique vehicle that will not appeal to everyone... just those who can see the merits of owning something advanced and different.

Like I said at the beginning, this is why I bought one. That's the great thing about capitalism... we all have the choice to purchase what we want. Obviously there are enough people paying the $30K premium to make it worth it for Lexus to build them.
Couldn't agree more. We must be much alike. I've been debating putting a deposit on a Tesla too (though the interim transmission deal has been giving me second thoughts.)

I already have a fast car. Didn't need the Lexus to be it. But for an everyday car, the technology just makes me feel good. I'm just always comfortable in the LS600hL. Just feels like it fits.

Like everyone, I know that the gas mileage can't even remotely justify the cost. But all hybrids are pretty stupid as a gas saving technology. They are all about increased power, and I agree that the LS600hL should have had better 0-60 numbers. But then again, 0-60 is a stupid, non-repeatable way to test cars anyway.

Get me a sporty plug-in electric car, with a charging station charged by solar power when I'm at work, and I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

But I'll still keep the LS600hL.

Anyway, another $0.02 from an owner of one.
Old 07-07-08, 10:39 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DrComputer

I am by no means berating anyone that owns an LS600HL. As I said above, I just about bought one myself. I also love technological advancements. But I obviously also wanted something that gets better gas mileage for a hybrid. That, and the $30K more, and the small trunk space caused me to change my mind and instead went with the LS460L.

Last edited by PatsSoxfan; 07-07-08 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-07-08, 11:18 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

We could draw a parallel between this choice and horses. How could someone spend $2M on a horse while another might squeal at the notion of paying more than $500? After all, they're just beasts of burden, aren't they?
Old 07-07-08, 11:56 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it's for those who likes to always have the best of the best, it's not for those who nickle and dime.

if money isn't an issue, the question is.. WHY LS460??

I would go straight to LS600hL
Old 07-07-08, 12:35 PM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 17 Posts

I also have received the same info from my Lexus dealer. It is supposed to be the Lexus version of the Toyota Prius with all the fancy bells & whistles.
I would be very interested in picking one up

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
I apologize. I did not mean to say it would be an LS (I cannot get the LS off my mind ). It will be a Lexus luxury hybrid sedan with the new battery technology. It will indeed be getting 60mpg according to my dealer. It will be unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show this January. However, it is supposed to be shown to insiders this fall. I believe my dealer said that this will be in Chicago.

Quick Reply: Heresy, I guess ... but WHY the LS600h?