Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-08, 07:25 PM
cdeslandes
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires

The GoodYear Eagle RS-A that came standard with our RX400h are JUNK. Zero rain handling.

Should have asked the dealer to find us one with the Michelin instead...

I want to get a new set before winter.

What tires are you guys using on your RX?
Old 08-25-08, 06:38 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cdeslandes
The GoodYear Eagle RS-A that came standard with our RX400h are JUNK. Zero rain handling.

Should have asked the dealer to find us one with the Michelin instead...

I want to get a new set before winter.

What tires are you guys using on your RX?
See this link below GET RID OF GOOD (BAD) YEAR now!!!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=tires
I have Michellin's no problem at all 35,000 miles I will replace them it is my preference they could go another 10,000 miles easy.
P.S. My son had Dunlop's on his GS one tire shredded and the replacement started the same he got rid of them and no more trouble.
Old 08-25-08, 10:53 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by herbvdh
See this link below GET RID OF GOOD (BAD) YEAR now!!!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=tires
I have Michellin's no problem at all 35,000 miles I will replace them it is my preference they could go another 10,000 miles easy.
P.S. My son had Dunlop's on his GS one tire shredded and the replacement started the same he got rid of them and no more trouble.
I'm with you on the good (bad) year tires. They are soooo bad, I can't even to describe them. Uneven wear, bad traction especially in the rain...etc...Anyways, I changed my good year tires at about 21k miles. I got the michelin energy MXV4 tires and they are so quiet and comfortable. Good traction too. Good luck on deciding what tires to buy. Just make sure you don't go back lol...
Old 08-27-08, 02:17 PM
wstr75
Driver School Candidate

At 13,000 miles the original Goodyears were bald. The replacement Bridgestone Alenza tires now have 19,000 miles and look almost new. They handle well in all conditions and look like they will go 40 - 50,000 miles.
Old 08-27-08, 03:37 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll agree the Alenzas are great tires. I swapped my balding Michelins about a year ago, and thus far they show no signs of wear. They have a slightly more aggressive tread, but have yet to run them in snow. The Alenzas handle rain slick roads beautifully, and I expect them to be at least the equal of the Michelins in the white stuff.
Old 08-27-08, 04:22 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lil4X
I'll agree the Alenzas are great tires. I swapped my balding Michelins about a year ago, and thus far they show no signs of wear. They have a slightly more aggressive tread, but have yet to run them in snow. The Alenzas handle rain slick roads beautifully, and I expect them to be at least the equal of the Michelins in the white stuff.
Are the Bridgestone Alenzas loud when you drive? Can you notice any noise?
Old 08-27-08, 07:18 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Looking at the tirerack (http://www.tirerack.com/) survey they rate the Alenza's better than the Michellin OEM by a long shot. The Alenza is a little quieter than the Michellin also.
I have been running all kind of comparisons against the OEM Michellin but never checked the Alenza's out till now. I had a toss up between Pirelli Scorpion and Michellin Latitude Xice now add the Alenza to the list. I had crossed off the Xice already.

Last edited by herbvdh; 08-27-08 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-27-08, 11:15 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by herbvdh
Looking at the tirerack (http://www.tirerack.com/) survey they rate the Alenza's better than the Michellin OEM by a long shot. The Alenza is a little quieter than the Michellin also.
I have been running all kind of comparisons against the OEM Michellin but never checked the Alenza's out till now. I had a toss up between Pirelli Scorpion and Michellin Latitude Xice now add the Alenza to the list. I had crossed off the Xice already.
Hmm... I guess that should consider Alenza as an alternative for my next tire change.
Old 08-28-08, 04:42 AM
wstr75
Driver School Candidate

The Alenzas are quiet. Great traction on dry pavement, on wet roads and in what little snow we've had here in central NC the past two winters. I have Potenzas on my 2006 RL and they are great, too. I've been a Michelin buyer for 20 years, but my purchases the past four years have been Bridgestones.
Old 09-20-08, 10:26 AM
JLA
10th Gear

Default Goodyear Tires work well on our RX400H

After I picked up my 2008 RX400H late last year, I learned of the wide concern about the Goodyear Eagle tires on this vehicle at clublexus.com. Sure enough, these were the tires on my vehicle and figured I'd be replacing them within 18-months. Now, 15,000 miles later, I am surprised to report I have had zero issues with these Eagle tires. As reported by Lexus service during my recent 15000 mile service:

(new is 9/32" with recommended replacement at 2/32")
fronts: both tires 8/32"
rears: both tires 7/32"

I have been pleasantly surprised by the very good wear, ride comfort, and cannot say I have noticed any wet surface issues (traction). We live in Northern CA so the wet weather is very seasonal.

Maybe we're just lucky!
Old 10-02-08, 07:50 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

I had a loaner RX400h today when I dropped mine off for 35,000 mile service.
So I looked at the tires before I left the dealers garage saw Good Year and thought well I will tolerate this for one day. Here are my observations No trouble driving home but went out in the evening it started to rain I made a right turn doing maybe 15 mph heard the left rear wheel start spinning felt the back end start coming around then the All Wheel Drive took over and got me straight (By then I was swearing up a storm) had this been front wheel drive I would have totaled out a car. Very scary also accelerating straight I noticed some spin. This morning I drove 16 miles in dry weather at about 60 mph got to work and I felt the tires around and noticed HOT SPOTS in several locations.
Old 10-02-08, 07:55 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

are you guys serious.. im about to buy good year winter tires? should i stay away from them if they can't handle well in the rain.. stop scaring me lol
Old 10-03-08, 03:52 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by farquad
are you guys serious.. im about to buy good year winter tires? should i stay away from them if they can't handle well in the rain.. stop scaring me lol
Please read the other thread here concerning Good Year tire issues. IMHO if you really need snow tires get the Michellin X-ice, Pirelli Scorpion or Bridgestone Alenza's you can also check the survey results at http://www.tirerack.com/ for any of your choice of tires.
Old 10-05-08, 10:55 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus needs to quick putting GoodYear Eagle RS-A on the RX they are nothing but junk we all live in the real world and we need to get more than 20k out of a set of tires on a new car
Old 10-06-08, 03:10 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Goodyear RS-A's are JUNK period, doesnt matter what size. with goodyear, unless you go with the Fortera or Assurance lineup, you get ****ty tires. I have the assurance Comfortread on my civic and love them...a buddy of mine has the Fortera Triple Treads on his jeep and loves them...but $$$$

Quick Reply: Tires