Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

2009 GS450h - 40% bigger trunk????

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-08, 01:21 PM
vrferrari
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
fuel economy with respect to what? i am sure if you get a 450h out there and drive very aggressively, you still get better gas mileage compared to most v8 out there.

so you can say it's a saving.

or on the other hand, you don't think the hybrid system as gas saving at all. it's just another mean for lexus to get power, just like bmw with turbo or older amg with superchargers. another source of power
You are absolutely 100 % correct....the hybrid car was aimed more at boosting power of the current 3.5 liter package than the fuel savings aspect.
Getting better fuel economy was just the gravy part of the deal.
I wouldn't be the least bit suprised to see more of the Lexus line up get some sort of hybrid enhanced driveline upgrade to boost "performance", both hp and mpg wise.
No other high line manufacture has anything to match Lexus in this part of the equation.
Old 09-17-08, 01:39 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i realize the instant torque of the electric motor in a hybrid may be used to 'boost' performance but the real point of a hybrid system is to disengage the gas engine during the times when it is least efficient, and save its power for when it's most efficient...the two never actually work in conjunction, its always one on and the other off. and while i understand your reasoning, i can't agree with your use of turbos and s/c's as synonyms of a hybrid system.
Old 09-17-08, 01:48 PM
vrferrari
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
i realize the instant torque of the electric motor in a hybrid may be used to 'boost' performance but the real point of a hybrid system is to disengage the gas engine during the times when it is least efficient, and save its power for when it's most efficient...the two never actually work in conjunction, its always one on and the other off. and while i understand your reasoning, i can't agree with your use of turbos and s/c's as synonyms of a hybrid system.
I partially agree with you, but I don't agree 100% with your statement "but the real point of a hybrid system is to disengage the gas engine during the times when it is least efficient, and save its power for when it's most efficient". I would think that the enginner and design team who implements the hybrid aspect of the car would have to way in as to the "why" they introduced the hybrid aspect of the car. It could have been 100% aimed at boosting the car's acceleration with a smaller, more effiecient gasoline motor without resorting to FI.
It all depends on the demographics the car was aimed at.
Old 09-17-08, 03:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

out of my curiousity, can you show me documents where it says the hybrid engine and the gas engine never work in conjunction, and one on and the other off? i would want to read more on that
Old 09-17-08, 03:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

you dont understand how hybrids work - electric and petrol engines work together in every possible way. In real life, it gives GS450h 50% better city mpg than GS350, let alone GS460...
Old 09-17-08, 04:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by spwolf
you dont understand how hybrids work - electric and petrol engines work together in every possible way. In real life, it gives GS450h 50% better city mpg than GS350, let alone GS460...
that's why i am asking about the info he referred to

my next questions would be
1) why 450h is faster than 350 with the same gas engine? (if only one engine can be on)
2) why 450h has higher power rating than 350? (when both engines don't have higher rating individually)
3) why in pwr mode the 450h is so different than normal mode? (it's still the same two engines working independently)
Old 09-17-08, 04:03 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

he obviously never owns a hybrid before, both engines work together.

the most asked question

If I run out of gas, can I use electricity to drive the car?

No. Though Lexus hybrid technology allows the vehicle to operate on electric power at slow speeds when gasoline is in the tank, it is not designed to run without gasoline. Doing so could cause severe damage to the hybrid system, so drivers should be sure to keep gas in the tank at all times, just like a conventional vehicle.
Old 09-17-08, 04:05 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
At a rated 20 City and 25 Hwy,how is it 50% better than a GS with a 19 City and 27 Hwy?
Old 09-17-08, 04:06 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

I agree w/Spywolf. Its a known fact that under spirited driving, both the gas & electric engines are used in tandem. Its a major complaint of all the car rags that tested the 450h, on twisty winding roads where Bmws traditionally excel, the 450h holds its own for awhile until the battery pack is depleted . . .
Old 09-17-08, 04:09 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

as far as i can tell from our ex-hybrid, the gas engine is almost always on, it only shuts off at stop light or what not and once you hit the gas, it comes to life

another reason why City MPG is always better than highway, while cruising at highway speed, it is always never off
Old 09-17-08, 04:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by whlkev
as far as i can tell from our ex-hybrid, the gas engine is almost always on, it only shuts off at stop light or what not and once you hit the gas, it comes to life

another reason why City MPG is always better than highway, while cruising at highway speed, it is always never off
yes you are right on. at highway the gas engine is pretty much doing all the work

i don't know about other cars, but i have tried on the 450h before. on local residential streets when cruising like 15-20mph, the gas engine was actually shut off for a while before suddenly kicking in
Old 09-17-08, 04:36 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^ I know that in the 2nd gen Prius, it's all battery power under moderate acceleration up to about 25mph. If you stomp on it or go over 25mph the gas engine kicks in seemlessly . . .
Old 09-18-08, 11:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by socalJD
I agree w/Spywolf. Its a known fact that under spirited driving, both the gas & electric engines are used in tandem. Its a major complaint of all the car rags that tested the 450h, on twisty winding roads where Bmws traditionally excel, the 450h holds its own for awhile until the battery pack is depleted . . .
And I read somewhere that during 'spirited driving' the batteries don't last long at all before needing to be recharged at which point the car is a gas engined car carrying around a load of heavy motors and batteries.

It's still impressive that Lexus pulled it off, but it's still a "1.0" type of technology.
Old 09-18-08, 11:18 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

^^ doubtful, the battery is charged whenever you brake, I really doubt there will be a time where the battery could run out of juice as long as the gas engine is operational
Old 09-18-08, 11:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev
^^ doubtful, the battery is charged whenever you brake, I really doubt there will be a time where the battery could run out of juice as long as the gas engine is operational
Maybe on a NASCAR track. Foot to the floor, turn left.

Quick Reply: 2009 GS450h - 40% bigger trunk????