Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Life of Hybrid System

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-08 | 10:23 AM
whimmels
Driver School Candidate

Default Life of Hybrid System

Any thoughts or advice: I have a 2006 Rx400h with 80,000 miles. Knowing that the wrranty on the hybrid system expires at 100,000 miles, I am wondering what kind of life I might expect from this system? I have heard 3rd hand that the system in Prius cars have typically gone 200,000 miles or more. I really like this Rx400h and would want to continue with it...but, with a hybrid system failure out of warranty, then big $$$$.
Thanks.
WAH in Greenwich, CT
Old 09-24-08 | 10:34 AM
slwone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whimmels
Any thoughts or advice: I have a 2006 Rx400h with 80,000 miles. Knowing that the wrranty on the hybrid system expires at 100,000 miles, I am wondering what kind of life I might expect from this system? I have heard 3rd hand that the system in Prius cars have typically gone 200,000 miles or more. I really like this Rx400h and would want to continue with it...but, with a hybrid system failure out of warranty, then big $$$$.
Thanks.
WAH in Greenwich, CT
+1 I would also like to know for future purposes...
Old 09-24-08 | 06:49 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases...T2008092372406

$2,588 for the battery, that sure is cheaper than a transmission!
Old 09-25-08 | 09:42 PM
riwyle
Rookie

Originally Posted by whimmels
Thanks.
WAH in Greenwich, CT
When you say "hybrid system" I assume you mean everything on the vehicle that isn't on the standard engine driven vehicle. This would include the battery, traction motors, inverters, converters, generators, control systems, and motors needed to drive components that are belt driven on a conventional car. Just the added number of these components increases the likelihood of failure. The complexity of the control systems would add to the diagnostic costs and require paying the higher costs charged by the high end dealers instead of the local repair shops. It would not be possible to give a definitive answer to the question " what kind of life" to expect, but I would expect to be required to spend more money in the second 100,000 miles on a hybrid than on a conventional. How much is anyone's guess.
As far as the cost of a new battery vs cost of a transmission, it is a given that at some point the battery will require replacement, but only a possibility for the transmission. Of course the hybrid has the power split device gear set which hopefully never, but could, require replacement at a very high cost.

Last edited by riwyle; 09-26-08 at 07:31 AM.
Old 09-26-08 | 03:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by riwyle
When you say "hybrid system" I assume you mean everything on the vehicle that isn't on the standard engine driven vehicle. This would include the battery, traction motors, inverters, converters, generators, control systems, and motors needed to drive components that are belt driven on a conventional car. Just the added number of these components increases the likelihood of failure. The complexity of the control systems would add to the diagnostic costs and require paying the higher costs charged by the high end dealers instead of the local repair shops. It would not be possible to give a definitive answer to the question " what kind of life" to expect, but I would expect to be required to spend more money in the second 100,000 miles on a hybrid than on a conventional. How much is anyone's guess.
As far as the cost of a new battery vs cost of a transmission, it is a given that at some point the battery will require replacement, but only a possibility for the transmission. Of course the hybrid has the power split device gear set which hopefully never, but could, require replacement at a very high cost.
actually, all those other components are designed for the life of the vehicle... only thing that is "expendable" is battery, which is known to last >200,000 miles, and is very cheap to find used from wrecked vehicles (more wrecked ones than ones with more than 200,000 miles).

Another good thing that due to design, other engine components require less maintainance as less strain is put to them...
Old 09-26-08 | 03:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I would check Prius boards to find out more info, as there are hundreds of thousands of Priuses on the road today, but what I know right now is that is had very good reliability.
Old 09-26-08 | 08:29 PM
jrobe
Pit Crew

"I would check Prius boards to find out more info"

Before I spent major money on my Rx400h, I spent hours on the multiple Prius forums trying to find owners that had to replace their batteries. Good luck finding even a handful of battery failure reports and the Prius has been out for 10 years or more. I concluded that the risk of battery failure wasn't worth worrying about.
Old 09-28-08 | 03:01 PM
slwone
Driver School Candidate

lexus newb,so a Prius battery will work on a Rx400h and has any one ever had their batteries replace....thanks
Old 09-28-08 | 05:32 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by slwone
lexus newb,so a Prius battery will work on a Rx400h and has any one ever had their batteries replace....thanks
The Prius battery is a total different shape and specifications than the RX400h battery.
Old 09-30-08 | 03:29 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

According to a report that was recently posted in the general chat section, Toyota has only had to replace about 300 batteries worldwide. Thats pretty good for a company that has 1 million hybrids on the road.
Old 09-30-08 | 09:38 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by slwone
Nope. Ours is like a box. Yours is flatter (cause it's under the rear seat).
Old 10-20-08 | 09:49 AM
mwcfire
Driver School Candidate

That's good to know they aren't the same. Don't have to waste time trying to figure that one out!
Old 10-29-08 | 01:50 PM
RXkillah
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
According to a report that was recently posted in the general chat section, Toyota has only had to replace about 300 batteries worldwide. Thats pretty good for a company that has 1 million hybrids on the road.
Wow, that's pretty good. I've had some ****ty experiences with American cars (AKA FORD and their transmissions dying a month after the warranty expires). . .also had some issues with German engineered cars (Mercedes especially). . .that's why I like Japanese cars. I know I should support our economy and buy vehicles made in the USA. . .but if they're crappier and/or you end up spending more for repairs and whatnot, why bother?
Old 10-29-08 | 02:07 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

The only replacement I have heard about was at almost 200,000 miles, and Lexus split the cost with the client.