Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

30K Service costs

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-08, 11:56 PM
irieblue
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30K Service costs

I have a '06 RX 400h that's due for a 30K service, Based in northern california, i called around and got the following quotes:

Magnussen Lexus $586.87
Putnam Lexus ***$800***
Seramonte Lexus $440.00
Stevens Creek Lexus 491.20

What a huge difference. I have to say the most annoying thing about my 400h is that it has to be cared for every 5000 miles with at least $3xx visit. My MBZ S550 requires service every 11,000 miles, and the last one was $287. What are people paying for their 30K service?
Old 10-09-08, 10:21 AM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't remember the cost of my 30000 service, but the others weren't substantial. They're usually under $200. My guess is that the dealers do different things at the service, but then I live across the country. NJ is considered expensive though.
Old 10-09-08, 06:27 PM
jrobe
Pit Crew

Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts

Check with a Toyota dealer and tell them exactly what you need done. I have used them for several service visits and have always saved a lot. They service the Toyota Highlander which is a very similiar vehicle.

I have also changed my own oil and filter several times. It takes me about 10-15 minutes (much less time than driving to the dealership).

The biggest Lexus ripoff of all is what they charge for tire rotations. It is not cost effective to pay Lexus's high fees for tire rotations just to try to get a little more mileage out of the tires. The average Lexus owner pays more for tire rotations than they would pay for new tires. Again, check the price at Toyota dealership or better yet at a non-affiliated quick-service facility.

I am sure someone will respond with a question about voiding your warranty but just keep good records and receipts and you will have no problem. A friend of mine works at Lexus and has confirmed this for me.

Those Lexus dealer refreshments are the most expensive food items you will ever eat or drink .
Old 10-09-08, 08:55 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

I just did my 30K a week ago. I believe my price was around $400 also. If I'm not wrong it's usually a bigger service when you reached 30k, I had a lot of things done.
Old 10-15-08, 01:38 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

What all do you want done to the car? I had my brake fuild changed out for less than $110 and that was at the the Lexus dealer and the Trans fuild ($30)was done at a Toyota dealer along with the oil and tires ($35) I take them the oil Mobile 1. I order the filters (AC and engine and blades on-line from a Club Lexus dealer) and change them out myself.
Old 11-03-08, 04:42 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

I was given an estimate of $455 +tax final bill was $413 +tax that is after my 10% discount either AAA or local volunteer in the town the dealer is in. I use Prestige Lexus in Ramsey NJ for my service. I will add I have no complaints at all with them as they have gone beyond the call of duty with me. Left a complete tool kit at the service door the service writer called gave me the option of going to his house or he would deliver to my door when out with the family that evening.
Old 11-05-08, 04:58 AM
MadloR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hmmm... 25k, and 1000 dollars later...

Brought my 400h for the 25K check up...

got coined for...

oil change, (typical price).

cabin air filter

front and rear brake pads, rotor resurfacing front and rear, and (I thought it was a really top notch touch) they painted my calipers and rotors a flat black paint finish.

oh yeah, and they rotated the tires. Cost me a G-Note for parts and labour. EEEKS, THAT I was not expecting.

Cheers,

MadloR
Old 11-05-08, 09:20 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MadloR

got coined for...

cabin air filter

front and rear brake pads, rotor resurfacing front and rear, and (I thought it was a really top notch touch) they painted my calipers and rotors a flat black paint finish.

oh yeah, and they rotated the tires. Cost me a G-Note for parts and labour. EEEKS, THAT I was not expecting.

Cheers,

MadloR
What???????? Did you say a grand?
Old 11-05-08, 11:01 PM
davidsong
Lead Lap

that is actually cheap... the more mileage you put on, the greater cost to you from stealership
Old 11-06-08, 09:39 AM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

got coined for...

cabin air filter

Cheers,

MadloR
My big question is brakes so early mine are good at 36,750 miles and by the looks should be good to 80,000 or more miles. My Prius had the original brakes at 65,000 miles.
Old 11-06-08, 10:01 AM
MadloR
Driver

Default Hmm..

That is the part, that I don't understand.

I get roughly, on average, 30 mpg in the summer without working at it. I can get 33-34mpg, but it requires abiding at all speed limits (and below, on the highway) as well as really gingering the gas pedal, during the summer months only.

IOW, I don't drive my RX400h, like I do my other vehicles. So, to my chagrin, I was SHOCKED when they told me I required new pads and resurface the rotors. As well, I was told that I was within the normal service period. To date, I have received really good service, and I was like so close from asking the service agent, to go ahead and due the brakes and to go ahead and give me the old pads. I hate doing this, because it usually creates a distrust with the service rep, but at the same time, I would of been sure that if they screwed me (which I believe they did).

The brakes gave no impression of being in any need of service. Buyer / RX400h'er beware.

Cheers,

MadloR
Old 11-06-08, 02:55 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

I get roughly, on average, 30 mpg in the summer without working at it. I can get 33-34mpg, but it requires abiding at all speed limits (and below, on the highway) as well as really gingering the gas pedal, during the summer months only.

IOW, I don't drive my RX400h, like I do my other vehicles. So, to my chagrin, I was SHOCKED when they told me I required new pads and resurface the rotors. As well, I was told that I was within the normal service period. To date, I have received really good service, and I was like so close from asking the service agent, to go ahead and due the brakes and to go ahead and give me the old pads. I hate doing this, because it usually creates a distrust with the service rep, but at the same time, I would of been sure that if they screwed me (which I believe they did).

The brakes gave no impression of being in any need of service. Buyer / RX400h'er beware.

Cheers,

MadloR
I don't know where you go for service as I see you are in NY but my son and I use Prestige Lexus they gave him a sermon on how bad your brakes are xxx thousanth's left etc. etc. He told them I will do the brakes myself he bought the pads and everything he needed at the dealer and wound up going another 2500 miles before he got to the front which were close to requiring replacing the back he did not do by the next service and they never said a word about them. When he did the rear brakes he probably went total of another 5000 or 6000 miles.
Old 11-06-08, 08:45 PM
riwyle
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheers,

MadloR
While there may be good reasons for having Lexus do all maintenance on a Lexus automobile, you have described the reasons I choose to have my local mechanic (single service bay) do work such as brake inspection and repair/ replacement. He shows me the pads as he takes them off, measures them in front of me, and if I desire, lets me watch the dial indicator as he measures disc run out and mics the discs. Don't bother trying to get near your car when a dealer is working on it, much less speak directly to the mechanic. Because of their set up, they obviously can't allow this. Also my mechanic is less expensive than the dealer. Having work done by dealer or independent may each have their pros and cons, so I wouldn't criticize either choice, but I believe the independent shop is a valid option that could be a positive choice. I have never left with a question as to whether I paid for something I didn't need or if I got a fair value for my money. I am sorry that I can't always say that about when I had a dealer do some work.

Sounds like you are being too nice of a guy. Don't hesitate asking for the old parts. It's your money.

Last edited by riwyle; 11-06-08 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-07-08, 09:35 AM
MadloR
Driver

Originally Posted by riwyle
While there may be good reasons for having Lexus do all maintenance on a Lexus automobile, you have described the reasons I choose to have my local mechanic (single service bay) do work such as brake inspection and repair/ replacement. He shows me the pads as he takes them off, measures them in front of me, and if I desire, lets me watch the dial indicator as he measures disc run out and mics the discs. Don't bother trying to get near your car when a dealer is working on it, much less speak directly to the mechanic. Because of their set up, they obviously can't allow this. Also my mechanic is less expensive than the dealer. Having work done by dealer or independent may each have their pros and cons, so I wouldn't criticize either choice, but I believe the independent shop is a valid option that could be a positive choice. I have never left with a question as to whether I paid for something I didn't need or if I got a fair value for my money. I am sorry that I can't always say that about when I had a dealer do some work.

Sounds like you are being too nice of a guy. Don't hesitate asking for the old parts. It's your money.

When I had more time, I actually enjoyed doing my own service, as I am quite capable. Having been around cars and modifying everything from mild to wild (my present 400H has many new mod's I will share with everyone soon, to extreme 417rear wheel horsepower `93 MR2 Turbo).

The time factor, and dealing with more than one person, doesn't allow me another choice. I did purchase my vehicle in TEXAS, and imported it to CANADA, even though I frequent the USofA quiet often, and listed myself in NY when in fact I am in MTL.

The other Lexus dealer, is located approx 10 minutes away from me, and was turned right off after more than one attempt, wanting to deal with someone locally. I purchased my vehicle "new", and after the 1st service wanted to take it to that dealer, and they insisted on having a brake cleaning and inspection. I mentioned to them that my vehicle was new and had on 5K easy break in miles. They was no negotiating with them. So, I chose to have my vehicle serviced at the dealer that coined me a G-Note.

The second reason, I didn't ****** with the estimate, was because I needed some service pertaining to rattles. I hope others haven't had to go through the rattles, like I have. Perhaps, I am more discerning, but if you search my signin nic, you will see posts I have made to remedy many types of rattles that I have experienced. The latest one, was the service bulletin rattle for the sunroof sunscreen.

I simply do not want to have to negotiate everything on a regular basis, when I want my vehicle serviced. To date, I believe the Cost to Maintain and Service the RX400h is much higher than most other SUV`s on the market IMO. If Lexus is reading this (I doubt it), this is another reason WHY many consumers are not loyal to a particular brand Next spring, I will order the X6 (I want to waite at least one model production cycle) hybrid.

I really believe in hybrid technology, and in order to improve it, 1st and 2nd generation vehicles must be purchased and put in use in real world conditions.

Cheers,

MadloR
Old 04-21-09, 01:25 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone please spell out to me WHAT EXACTLY NEEDS to be done at the 30k service? I'm not trying to get ripped off by the dealership..

Thanks.!

Quick Reply: 30K Service costs