Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Considering a GS450h

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-08, 10:13 AM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a GS450h

I'm thinking of entering into the Lexus family again. There's something about the GS that I really like. I find the 5 series and E class boring and the "bang for your buck" definitely follows the GS450h.

This will be my third car and it is replacing my daily driver, a 2001 Honda Civic. I test drove the GS430 and I really like how it drives but I want something with better mileage (I'm used to 35+ MPG on the DD so 17 won't cut it). Am I right in that the gas mileage is far superior on the GS450h than on the GS430?

The main reason for my post is that Lexus of Westminster has a 2007 with 36,XXX miles that they're trying to unload for $39,9XX, and that is with the car being certified with warranty and all. 3.9% APR for 48 months, etc.

I'm in no rush. My initial goal was to wait until after the new year and start my search then. But I came across this and to me, it sounds like a great deal. But I may be wrong.

Is this a fair deal, great deal, or something that will get better in the beginning of 2009 if I start my search then? I know it's hard to predict these things but I figured most of you guys/girls on here follow this stuff on a regular basis.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-24-08, 10:21 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^ The GS450h isn't a car to be bought for the mileage alone - its combined avg is 23, while the GS350 is 22, a whopping 1 mpg difference for a premium of $10k. If you're into the whole hybrid thing, lower emissions, green tech, yada, yada, yada - then that's another story. IMHO, the GS350 is a better overall value, same dimensions, lighter weight, bigger trunk, similar mileage, similar performance and should be a lot less to buy. You'd get more bang for the buck with a fully loaded GS350 . . .
Old 10-24-08, 10:25 AM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by socalJD
^ The GS450h isn't a car to be bought for the mileage alone - its combined avg is 23, while the GS350 is 22, a whopping 1 mpg difference for a premium of $10k. If you're into the whole hybrid thing, lower emissions, green tech, yada, yada, yada - then that's another story. IMHO, the GS350 is a better overall value, same dimensions, lighter weight, bigger trunk, similar mileage, similar performance and should be a lot less to buy. You'd get more bang for the buck with a fully loaded GS350 . . .
Wow, I'm surprised. The majority of my driving is city driving, not highway. I would think that the hybrid would be a benefit in this case.
Old 10-24-08, 10:40 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^ Then it *might* make sense for you. 450h = 25/22 (hwy/city) vs 350 = 27/19. If you do all or mostly city driving, the electric motors will definitely save gas, assuming you accelerate slowly, WOT will still kill mileage
Old 10-24-08, 10:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if you drive a lot in the city, then the hybrid will be a lot more beneficial. when i am stuck in traffic on locals, my mileage is far worse than 19, and hybrid shines when on locals

it's almost always the case that smaller engines are better bang for the bucks. same with 535 over 550 and e350 over e550. but 450h do have their pluses. the car is quieter (quite a bit imho) and if you put it in sport and run, that car can dust the 350 especially if it has apsss.
Old 10-24-08, 01:38 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

also don't forget that the 450h is rated with a higher HP figure than the 350 (339 HP vs 303 HP). i test drove the 350, it felt sluggish. test drove the 450h, wow! night & day difference in power. i was sold at first test drive!
Old 10-24-08, 02:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
also don't forget that the 450h is rated with a higher HP figure than the 350 (339 HP vs 303 HP). i test drove the 350, it felt sluggish. test drove the 450h, wow! night & day difference in power. i was sold at first test drive!
the cvt helps on picking the best gear and rpm
Old 10-24-08, 07:40 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Toog4me

The main reason for my post is that Lexus of Westminster has a 2007 with 36,XXX miles that they're trying to unload for $39,9XX, and that is with the car being certified with warranty and all. 3.9% APR for 48 months, etc.
That's a terrible deal! Given the mileage I'm pretty sure it's a lease return. I have a GS450h leased for 3 years with 12K miles a year. My residual (for a car that had a $60K MSRP) is $32K. It's likely that the car you're looking at had the same residual, meaning that the dealer bought it for no more than that from Lexus financial, meaning that they're making $8K on you if you buy it at that price.
Old 10-24-08, 09:28 PM
Rccballers
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Modeler
That's a terrible deal! Given the mileage I'm pretty sure it's a lease return. I have a GS450h leased for 3 years with 12K miles a year. My residual (for a car that had a $60K MSRP) is $32K. It's likely that the car you're looking at had the same residual, meaning that the dealer bought it for no more than that from Lexus financial, meaning that they're making $8K on you if you buy it at that price.
Who cares? I say that's a fine deal...where else do you see the 450h going for under 40k? I bought a lease return for under 38k with 28k miles on it fully loaded. It's in great shape and I have had no problems.
Old 10-25-08, 12:08 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rccballers
Who cares? I say that's a fine deal...where else do you see the 450h going for under 40k? I bought a lease return for under 38k with 28k miles on it fully loaded. It's in great shape and I have had no problems.

Take this into consideration....

I sold my GS450h which was a 2007, had 8,000 miles on it with every single option AAAS everything.... for $43,000.

That was 5 months ago.

Honestly I don't think that is a great deal esp with the HIGH milege on it.

But when I had my GS450h I was averaging about 25 city and I got about 29-32 HWY
Old 10-25-08, 12:10 PM
Rccballers
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jace7
Take this into consideration....

I sold my GS450h which was a 2007, had 8,000 miles on it with every single option AAAS everything.... for $43,000.

That was 5 months ago.

Honestly I don't think that is a great deal esp with the HIGH milege on it.

But when I had my GS450h I was averaging about 25 city and I got about 29-32 HWY
I hear ya. I think it also depends on where you are located. In California, the 450h goes for a premium, and are very hard to find for under 45k with that mileage on them.
Old 10-25-08, 12:17 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

I called every single lexus dealership in the US, all dealerships in CA, and warmer climate states, and at the time, 5 months ago, noone was willing to pay me more than $44K for the car with the above stated milege and options. If they pay me $45K for the car, they would have to certify it which is about 1 grand and then up the charge to make a profit. If I sold mine for 45, they would need to list it for 49K, and a used GS450h isn't worth that much to anyone, considering you can get the new ones for cheap with no miles on it, in today's market. Car markets are taking a hit big time... YOu have all the negotiating power on your side.

I ended up selling it to sewell lexus in TX and closed shipped it to them.

They were the highest bidder.
Everyone else was around $39K for it.

They said it was that low becuase the new 08's came out and even with EVERY SINGLE OPTION, Lexus lowered the highest purchase price by about 2 grand to help compete with competition.
So even though I paid 67K for my car in 07, the best GS450h you could get in 08 was only about 65K.
So right ther eI lost 2 grand in negotiating....

You can find or negotiate down to $39K for a GS450h, in any state with loaded options if you try hard enough, even being certified.
Old 10-25-08, 01:56 PM
Rccballers
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jace7
I called every single lexus dealership in the US, all dealerships in CA, and warmer climate states, and at the time, 5 months ago, noone was willing to pay me more than $44K for the car with the above stated milege and options. If they pay me $45K for the car, they would have to certify it which is about 1 grand and then up the charge to make a profit. If I sold mine for 45, they would need to list it for 49K, and a used GS450h isn't worth that much to anyone, considering you can get the new ones for cheap with no miles on it, in today's market. Car markets are taking a hit big time... YOu have all the negotiating power on your side.

I ended up selling it to sewell lexus in TX and closed shipped it to them.

They were the highest bidder.
Everyone else was around $39K for it.

They said it was that low becuase the new 08's came out and even with EVERY SINGLE OPTION, Lexus lowered the highest purchase price by about 2 grand to help compete with competition.
So even though I paid 67K for my car in 07, the best GS450h you could get in 08 was only about 65K.
So right ther eI lost 2 grand in negotiating....

You can find or negotiate down to $39K for a GS450h, in any state with loaded options if you try hard enough, even being certified.
Two thoughts: 1) you were looking to sell to dealerships which is the first problem. You will never get top dollar. They are out to make money plain and simple. 2) You have to find them first in CA. Try doing an Autotrader or Yahoo search for one in Northern California. They get scooped up really fast and still sell for top dollar. One in Beverly Hills fully loaded sold a month ago for 41k with 57k miles on it.
Old 10-25-08, 02:22 PM
TrendyTodd
Lexus Test Driver

From my knowledge, Toyotas hybrids are made for better fuel economy. Lexus hybrids are made for power. This explains the subtle gain in mpg on the 450h. If its better mileage you're looking for, maybe a Camry might be the right car. The GSh is just pure luxury though. I'd give up a few mpg (still getting used to giving up so much trunk space though) for the power, comfort, and handling of the GSh.

As far as city/highway mileage, here in Hawaii, I get better city mileage with my RXh (29) and better highway mileage with my GSh (27). But I know there are lots of variables, weather, conditions, distance, etc...
Old 10-25-08, 03:06 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rccballers
Two thoughts: 1) you were looking to sell to dealerships which is the first problem. You will never get top dollar. They are out to make money plain and simple. 2) You have to find them first in CA. Try doing an Autotrader or Yahoo search for one in Northern California. They get scooped up really fast and still sell for top dollar. One in Beverly Hills fully loaded sold a month ago for 41k with 57k miles on it.
I was more concerned with going through a dealer, so I could only pay the tax on the difference of the vehicle I was purchasing at that exact time which was $117K. Made more sence financially to do it my way rather than finding an individual buyer.
Can't pay only the difference in taxes if you do it your way.

Good thinking though.

Quick Reply: Considering a GS450h