Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Question about the hybrid transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-08, 03:36 PM
TrendyTodd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Test drive complete.

It was an eye opener for sure. Smooth without a doubt. Was very interesting. Just a few minutes of driving DID solve alot of questions I had. What happens when one applies alot of gas while doing say 40mph was very interesting, the rpm increased alot and it would have led me to believe that the CVT was slipping but the increase in speed and strong pull told me it was not. There was a little more noise than I was used to but the smoothness and power was quite impressive!

I see now what you all know from use and am convinced that I will get used to the CVT and even enjoy it. I will exit now but lurk with respect until I purchase mine in the spring of 2009.

Thanks all
No need to exit and just lurk. I dont think anyone was "inflamed" or took your questions lightly. Just put on some "thick skin" and ask the questions that you have. Don't read too much into the answers too.

That's what these boards are here for. We all ask and answer and help out as much as we can. All we ask is that you do a simple search for common questions before posting.

Good luck with whatever you decide to get!
Old 12-15-08, 07:13 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

some things must be experienced and there is just no substitute or words to describe it. glad you enjoyed the ride.
Old 12-16-08, 09:10 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

What a GREAT surprise. I took my LX570 in for it's 15K this am and my Salesperson had arranged me a 400h for a loaner. These Lexus people are really into customer satisfaction (sales!). Now I am getting to spend a whole day with the 400h and without the sales person aboard!

Thanks to all of you and I will be waiting for the Spring of 2009 for the new RX450h.

Thanks to all here
Old 12-16-08, 09:13 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I got used to the CVT and I like it. Cool sounding engine, can't wait to hear the RX450h in action. That being said, my complaint of today's hybrid is that you can't row your own gears. Perhaps Honda will come out with another one that I can do just that in.
This was my fear and the reason I started this thread. But even after a very short time I am confident I can get used to the CVT. The is no loss in acceleration as at a stand still it will get to highway speeds VERY quickly. What is even nicer is a 60 full throttle is still a kick in the hind end!
Old 12-16-08, 02:31 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

This was my fear and the reason I started this thread. But even after a very short time I am confident I can get used to the CVT. The is no loss in acceleration as at a stand still it will get to highway speeds VERY quickly. What is even nicer is a 60 full throttle is still a kick in the hind end!
Hahaha, wait until you taste the new RX450h. You'll have additional horsepower, and you'll probably get more kicking in the hind end. lol
Old 12-16-08, 07:01 PM
JaxIS250
Driver

GGEBHARDT.....
I am in Jax also......what dealer did you go to? Lexus of Jax, or Lexus of OP? Just curious......I work for TMS - Toyota Motor Sales on the Lexus side of things here in Jax......
I have an IS250 right now (08)......HKS exhaust, grnd effects, XM, spoiler, and HID lights.....that being said.......I ordered my own RX400h today
Granite exterior, black leather interior..........Nav, Prem Plus Pckg, Wood grain interior, 18" rim, frt heated seats, tow prep pckg........I think that is it. I am really looking fwd to it!!!
Old 12-16-08, 07:02 PM
JaxIS250
Driver

GGEBHARDT.....just noticed, you might not be in Jax.....but do see you are from Florida!
Old 12-17-08, 09:38 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JaxIS250
GGEBHARDT.....
I am in Jax also......what dealer did you go to? Lexus of Jax, or Lexus of OP? Just curious......I work for TMS - Toyota Motor Sales on the Lexus side of things here in Jax......
I have an IS250 right now (08)......HKS exhaust, grnd effects, XM, spoiler, and HID lights.....that being said.......I ordered my own RX400h today
Granite exterior, black leather interior..........Nav, Prem Plus Pckg, Wood grain interior, 18" rim, frt heated seats, tow prep pckg........I think that is it. I am really looking fwd to it!!!
Without a doubt, I AM in Jacksonville. I go to the Lexus of Jacksonville location. I am holding out for the 450h in the Spring of 2009. I like the Granite with Black interior!
Old 12-17-08, 02:34 PM
JaxIS250
Driver

I saw my vehicle today!!! It will be at the dealership tomorrow, now I just need to get the paperwork there.......it is a bit different due to me being an employee......hoping to get it by 12/24......I am driving home to my parents in Clearwater (if not from Florida, its about 3.5 hours from Jax), so that would be a nice drive.
But the vehicle looks great.....metallic grey w/ black leather, and the cherry wood grain. I will put picts up when I get it in my hands!
Old 12-19-08, 04:51 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

I saw my vehicle today!!! It will be at the dealership tomorrow, now I just need to get the paperwork there.......it is a bit different due to me being an employee......hoping to get it by 12/24......I am driving home to my parents in Clearwater (if not from Florida, its about 3.5 hours from Jax), so that would be a nice drive.
But the vehicle looks great.....metallic grey w/ black leather, and the cherry wood grain. I will put picts up when I get it in my hands!
Please post some inages as you are getting my prefered color scheme. Love the Black or dark grey interiors. With the cherry wood, it should look really nice!
Old 12-19-08, 01:13 PM
toyotadad
Driver School Candidate

So, what will you do at the end of 12 months? My dilemma, too.
Old 12-20-08, 04:31 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

What happens in 12 months? These vehicles don't turn into pumpkins do they?
Old 12-20-08, 09:57 AM
toyotadad
Driver School Candidate

What happens in 12 months? These vehicles don't turn into pumpkins do they?
Lexus is offering a special lease on RX400h for associates/eligible family members at 1 percent of invoice per month, insurance and maintenance included. That's about $425 on a $52K sticker vehicle, but it's only for 12 months. I'm assuming that's what JAX is doing.
Old 12-20-08, 10:57 AM
JaxIS250
Driver

Toyotadad - yes, I am doing the 12 month thing,and then will turn it in, and get another Lexus....unsure which. I have an IS250 right now, that I really liked a lot.....but this deal on the RXh was too hard to pass up.....so I took it. I might order another IS250 or IS350next yr with F-Sport accy's on them.

GGEBHARDT - I should have it Monday afternoon, so I will post picts then......
Old 12-20-08, 11:09 AM
toyotadad
Driver School Candidate

Toyotadad - yes, I am doing the 12 month thing,and then will turn it in, and get another Lexus....unsure which. I have an IS250 right now, that I really liked a lot.....but this deal on the RXh was too hard to pass up.....so I took it. I might order another IS250 or IS350next yr with F-Sport accy's on them.

GGEBHARDT - I should have it Monday afternoon, so I will post picts then......
I'm in an IS-F, which I dearly love and enjoy. However, I don't drive it enough to justify the lease payment, and I hate subjecting anything nice to crappy weather, which we all know is what winter brings to the Northwest. So ...

Last edited by toyotadad; 12-20-08 at 11:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Question about the hybrid transmission