Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Question about the hybrid transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-08 | 05:01 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Default Question about the hybrid transmission

The constant speed transmission does not sound good to me. I questioned this in another member's post but was thinking I would get more answers with a new thread.

How do you like your transmission?
Old 12-12-08 | 06:00 AM
oldcajun
Racer

After I got used to the engine sound during acceleration I really loved the CVT. Never a downshift and it was always in the "right gear" for acceleration. I now have an ES350 with a 6 speed auto and wish I had the CVT back.
Steve
Old 12-12-08 | 08:12 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

The CVT is basically varying the transmission ratio infinitely, and lets the electric and ICE motors blend their input almost seamlessly. Go drive one.
Old 12-12-08 | 11:31 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jim256
Go drive one.
I plan on it but wanted to get some opinions of people who had been driving it for a while.

Thanks for your somewhat terse answer
Old 12-12-08 | 02:46 PM
riwyle
Rookie

Talking

Originally Posted by ggebhardt

How do you like your transmission?
Good.

(This site requires answer to be at least 10 words, so I guess one can't be too terse.)

Last edited by riwyle; 12-12-08 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-12-08 | 02:53 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

and you needed to edit that message!?

LOL
Old 12-12-08 | 05:15 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

Wow, seriously though OP you have to remember it's not easy to describe how it feels unless you have actually tested it out. The CVT is just a continuous variable transmission that gives it a smooth drive without all those jumping or vibrating effects. What more could a person describe?? lol
Old 12-12-08 | 05:56 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

I greatly enjoy the CVT after having driven one for over 80,000. Prius 60,000 and my RX400h 20,000 miles respectively. I actually hate the regular automatic transmissions simply due to feeling the shift points from one gear to the next. It is absolute smooth acceleration to speed.
Old 12-13-08 | 12:16 AM
TrendyTodd
Lexus Test Driver

I don't understand how "The constant speed transmission does not sound good to me". Yes, its different than conventional transmission, and does get a little loud when in full throttle, but it doesn't sound "bad". I'm actually looking to upgrade my exhaust to an Apexi one.
Old 12-13-08 | 05:52 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by herbvdh
I greatly enjoy the CVT after having driven one for over 80,000. Prius 60,000 and my RX400h 20,000 miles respectively. I actually hate the regular automatic transmissions simply due to feeling the shift points from one gear to the next. It is absolute smooth acceleration to speed.
I am sorry that my question seemed to inflame some, I am just trying to do some research before I go and test drive. I am scheduled at the dealer today to test drive the Lexus RX hybrid. I simple wanted to get some opinions of others who had used this transmission for more than a few minutes. I thank you for your comments as you have used these CVT for long term and speak highly of it. Did you not have any feeling of doubt before you drove a CVT. That "feeling of shift points" has been a fact of life for my driving for a long time and from what you say, I will grow to enjoy the smoothness of the CVT in no time.

This is what I will not be able to do in a short test ride, even though my dealer said I could drive as long as I want. Thanks for your reply.

Originally Posted by CLHawaii
I don't understand how "The constant speed transmission does not sound good to me". Yes, its different than conventional transmission, and does get a little loud when in full throttle, but it doesn't sound "bad". I'm actually looking to upgrade my exhaust to an Apexi one.
Perhaps the word "sound" was not correct here. I have never been in a vehicle that had a CVT and instead of "sound" I ment to convey that the idea of CVT is rather strange and I would worry about efficiency in comparison to hard gears. BUT I forget that an automatic tranny does "lock up" and not slip and I assume that CVT does the same but all the time.

Excuse my ignorance about CVTs. I will go elsewhere to try to learn more. I got time as I will wait for the 450, not for the gas milage increase but the added performance! <vbg>
Old 12-13-08 | 01:44 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

I am enjoying the CVT. The car is incredibly quiet and smooth. I also have a GS350 which I enjoy driving, but for different reasons.

Hope you enjoy your test drive.
Old 12-13-08 | 04:28 PM
riwyle
Rookie

Excuse my ignorance about CVTs. I will go elsewhere to try to learn more. I got time as I will wait for the 450, not for the gas milage increase but the added performance! <vbg>
The CVT is actually just a planetary gear set that Lexus terms the torque split device. It is all gears with no fluid drive or torque converter, and probably has an efficiency similar to a manual transmission. If you are familiar with planetary gear sets, i.e. sun, ring and planetary gears, there are some good animations on the Lexus web site describing its operation. Knowing how something works may increase your comfort level.
I am very satisfied with how mine functions.
Old 12-13-08 | 04:58 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

I am sorry that my question seemed to inflame some, I am just trying to do some research before I go and test drive. I am scheduled at the dealer today to test drive the Lexus RX hybrid. I simple wanted to get some opinions of others who had used this transmission for more than a few minutes. I thank you for your comments as you have used these CVT for long term and speak highly of it. Did you not have any feeling of doubt before you drove a CVT. That "feeling of shift points" has been a fact of life for my driving for a long time and from what you say, I will grow to enjoy the smoothness of the CVT in no time.

This is what I will not be able to do in a short test ride, even though my dealer said I could drive as long as I want. Thanks for your reply.
<vbg>

Enjoy your test drive. I originally rented the Prius for three days did all kinds of driving and never thought of the shift points missing at all I had no feeling of doubt at all. I had a previous basic understanding of a CVT.
Old 12-14-08 | 07:26 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Test drive complete.

It was an eye opener for sure. Smooth without a doubt. Was very interesting. Just a few minutes of driving DID solve alot of questions I had. What happens when one applies alot of gas while doing say 40mph was very interesting, the rpm increased alot and it would have led me to believe that the CVT was slipping but the increase in speed and strong pull told me it was not. There was a little more noise than I was used to but the smoothness and power was quite impressive!

I see now what you all know from use and am convinced that I will get used to the CVT and even enjoy it. I will exit now but lurk with respect until I purchase mine in the spring of 2009.

Thanks all
Old 12-15-08 | 03:07 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I got used to the CVT and I like it. Cool sounding engine, can't wait to hear the RX450h in action. That being said, my complaint of today's hybrid is that you can't row your own gears. Perhaps Honda will come out with another one that I can do just that in.

Quick Reply: Question about the hybrid transmission