Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Trickle Charger

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-09, 05:59 PM
rchaseio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trickle Charger

I'd like to get a trickle charger to mitigate the dreaded "go for a 2-week vacation and come back to jump start" syndrome. I can get a cheap charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter/12v convenience port. Does this make sense with Lexus? In other words, is the lighter/port live when engine is off?
Old 01-04-09, 10:15 PM
ColdLexus
Driver

Default Trickle Charger

http://www.batterytender.com/
Check out something reliable, and safe.
Old 01-05-09, 07:23 AM
rchaseio
Driver School Candidate

Wow, this is the goods! Thanks a heap, I am buying this ASAP.

2008 Mercedes SLK Edit10n
2006 Lexus RX400h
2005 BMW 325i
Old 01-05-09, 12:42 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 518 Likes on 386 Posts

I would like to know why the battery would be dead in two weeks? Is this happening alot to everyone?
Old 01-05-09, 06:24 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought the car was okay for a few weeks (3?). However, when I was scheduled to be away for 4 weeks the dealer service showed me how to disconnect the battery terminal and reconnect it. The car was fine upon my return. However, they had to reprogram the windows/roof to open/close. I live close to the dealer and they are very friendly. The service was free and they put the car in right away to be reprogrammed. I was out in 15 minutes.
Old 01-05-09, 10:18 PM
NeoNz
Driver

Originally Posted by rchaseio
I'd like to get a trickle charger to mitigate the dreaded "go for a 2-week vacation and come back to jump start" syndrome. I can get a cheap charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter/12v convenience port. Does this make sense with Lexus? In other words, is the lighter/port live when engine is off?
the leuxs' cigarette lighter does NOT work when the engine is off.
Old 01-06-09, 07:23 AM
rchaseio
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexRexBlue
I thought the car was okay for a few weeks (3?). However, when I was scheduled to be away for 4 weeks the dealer service showed me how to disconnect the battery terminal and reconnect it. The car was fine upon my return. However, they had to reprogram the windows/roof to open/close. I live close to the dealer and they are very friendly. The service was free and they put the car in right away to be reprogrammed. I was out in 15 minutes.
That sounds like a reasonable way to take car of the car if it is parked at say, a long-term airport lot (no access for trickle charger). When I bought my car, the battery was dead. I had to program the windows and sunroof myself, but that is pretty easy. Cycle halfway down on each window, then all the way up and hold for a couple of seconds. Sunroof is even easier, just push the switch forward and hold.

Maybe I can install a battery cutoff switch instead of disconnecting the battery. I really hate having to deal with those little connectors that hold the engine cover on.
Old 01-07-09, 06:14 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ha!Ha! They showed me how to take off that cover. But somehow when I went to put the cover back on I lost 2 of those little gizmos. When I went back to the dealer for the reprogramming they just gave me new ones and put the cover back on.
Old 01-08-09, 03:28 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 518 Likes on 386 Posts

Please, WHY does the battery go dead in 2-3 weeks. This is ridiculous. I have owned many cars and never had one that the battery went dead if you did not use it for two weeks.
Old 01-09-09, 12:08 PM
rchaseio
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexRexBlue
Ha!Ha! They showed me how to take off that cover. But somehow when I went to put the cover back on I lost 2 of those little gizmos. When I went back to the dealer for the reprogramming they just gave me new ones and put the cover back on.
LOL, I had to go the Lexus stealer to buy two of those little connectors. At $3.50 each.
Old 01-09-09, 12:51 PM
rchaseio
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Please, WHY does the battery go dead in 2-3 weeks. This is ridiculous. I have owned many cars and never had one that the battery went dead if you did not use it for two weeks.
Just searching through the forums, it looks like a common problem. The car I bought certainly had a dead battery, and it was after 2 weeks on the lot. One premise is that the battery is way too small, and should be upgraded when replacing.
Old 01-09-09, 02:30 PM
boz
Driver School Candidate

I bought a 2006 Certified Pre-owned in March of last year. The battery was dead on the lot. After having a couple unexplained no-starts, I left the car in the garage for 4 days and when I returned, it wouldn't crank.

The diagnosis was a dead cell, fortunately covered under the warranty. I"m sure the battery discharge problem contributed to my problem.