Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

07 GS430 or 07 GS450 Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-09, 08:22 PM
n0sGS300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 07 GS430 or 07 GS450 Hybrid?

I am getting ready to buy a GS. I know the 430 has the V8 and the 450 has the V6 hybrid engine, but are there any other major differences like suspension, hp, tq. Thanks in advance for any feedback
Old 02-02-09, 08:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by n0sGS300
I am getting ready to buy a GS. I know the 430 has the V8 and the 450 has the V6 hybrid engine, but are there any other major differences like suspension, hp, tq. Thanks in advance for any feedback
Suspension is the same. There is also the search feature. If you are in the market for both and price is not an issue the 450h is the no brainer
340hp vs 290hp
25% increase in fuel economy
CVT tranny vs 6 speed
half a second faster performance
hybrid trunk is 1/2 the size
hybrid weighs 400 lbs more
With the electric batteries, the 450h has unparalleled passing power. You have to have a Lambo to keep up once the car is on the road.
Old 02-02-09, 09:17 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Suspension is the same. There is also the search feature. If you are in the market for both and price is not an issue the 450h is the no brainer
340hp vs 290hp
25% increase in fuel economy
CVT tranny vs 6 speed
half a second faster performance
hybrid trunk is 1/2 the size
hybrid weighs 400 lbs more
With the electric batteries, the 450h has unparalleled passing power. You have to have a Lambo to keep up once the car is on the road.
^ LOL! let's not exaggerate and get carried away here! one potential negative with the traction battery is that it does drain fairly quickly if you are constantly gunning it (ie: you are draining energy faster than the battery charges back up). but regular city driving (stop n go traffic), the 450h shines when compared to the 430
Old 02-02-09, 09:21 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Stormforge
^ LOL! let's not exaggerate and get carried away here! one potential negative with the traction battery is that it does drain fairly quickly if you are constantly gunning it (ie: you are draining energy faster than the battery charges back up). but regular city driving (stop n go traffic), the 450h shines when compared to the 430
What part is off?
Old 02-02-09, 09:30 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
What part is off?
the lambo part!
Old 02-02-09, 10:02 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

450h hands down.
Old 02-02-09, 11:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

and if you pick the right gs450h, it might have the apsss and that's something SUPER NICE to have
Old 02-03-09, 08:00 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hybrid without a doubt
Old 02-03-09, 09:56 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
^ LOL! let's not exaggerate and get carried away here! one potential negative with the traction battery is that it does drain fairly quickly if you are constantly gunning it (ie: you are draining energy faster than the battery charges back up).
I've had the 450h for two years, and I'm a pretty agressive driver. I've never had a problem with battery discharging in normal highway or street driving. The only time I see battery discharging is when I crawl in stop-and-go traffic on electric power only; after about 2 miles the battery is empty.
Old 02-03-09, 10:13 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Does the 450H have less power when the battery is drained?
Old 02-03-09, 10:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by The G Man
Does the 450H have less power when the battery is drained?
you "lose" power when you are in wot i guess. that's the time when both motors are supposed to work together. otherwise, if the battery is empty and the electric motor not running, then it will just go back to gasoline engine
Old 02-03-09, 12:34 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I guess thats the draw back to a performance Hybrid, As the battery age, you will run into more and more instance where the car is running on gas only. The unexpected lose of power cant be a good thing especially when you really depend on it and expect normal passing power in certain situations.
Old 02-03-09, 01:01 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

I guess thats the draw back to a performance Hybrid, As the battery age, you will run into more and more instance where the car is running on gas only. The unexpected lose of power cant be a good thing especially when you really depend on it and expect normal passing power in certain situations.
if the traction battery has energy to tap into, you will be able to use it at WOT. if the battery doesn't hold its charge, then it's a warranty issue; with an 8 year warranty on the hybrid system (including battery), i don't think there's anything to worry about
Old 02-03-09, 01:09 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by Modeler
I've had the 450h for two years, and I'm a pretty agressive driver. I've never had a problem with battery discharging in normal highway or street driving. The only time I see battery discharging is when I crawl in stop-and-go traffic on electric power only; after about 2 miles the battery is empty.
true, normal highway or street driving should be fine. but note that I said "potential", not actual. and you are right, battery drains very quickly in stop-n-go traffic when using electric power only.
Old 02-03-09, 02:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

the way i see it, if you are in "normal passing" mode, the gasoline engine is more than capable (at like what, 270hp?). unless you want some sudden power more than what WOT can give you, this is not going to be an issue

and again, this is if the battery runs out of juice, which isn't all that common. for example if you are in stop and go local traffic for 2 hours. and then suddenly you need more than WOT?

Quick Reply: 07 GS430 or 07 GS450 Hybrid?