Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Hybrid Pros & Cons

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-09, 08:19 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hybrid Pros & Cons

So when the wife and I first started talking about the impending end of our current RX lease we had talked about getting a hybrid. When we found out that the 450H wasn't available until late spring/summer we started looking at the 350.

But...I had a rental Camry hybrid for the last 3 days that really peaked my interest in the technology again. Obviously, there is the better gas mileage, more power, and environmental responsibility that are in it's favor.

First question is: is the technology in the Camry the same as I could expect from the new 450H?

Second question is: for current owners is there anything that really stands out, besides the obvious, about the hybrid over the 350?

Final question is: is there anything negative that is specific to the hybrid versus the 350?

Thank you in advance for the insight.
Old 02-27-09, 06:29 PM
jrobe
Pit Crew

Received 135 Likes on 76 Posts

The only negative is the extra cost (with a relatively long payback time depending on gas prices).

The one positive for me that you didn't mention is the "fun factor" of a hybrid. I think it is kind of fun to watch the energy screen and try to bleed out as much mileage as possible (it is quite dependent on driving technique).
Old 03-04-09, 10:21 PM
bvenvert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Camry uses the same Hybrid Synergy Drive System as the 450h, since they are both built and design by Toyota. I doubt they have changed the technology much since it has been the most successful hybrid system to date and Toyota has actually sold it to other manufacturers.

If you spend a lot of time on the highway, then the hybrid won't save you money at the pump. You would probably do better with a 350 in the long haul. If you drive in town, the hybrid is much quicker off the line and will yield better mileage for stop and go driving.
Old 03-05-09, 12:44 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jrobe
The only negative is the extra cost (with a relatively long payback time depending on gas prices).

The one positive for me that you didn't mention is the "fun factor" of a hybrid. I think it is kind of fun to watch the energy screen and try to bleed out as much mileage as possible (it is quite dependent on driving technique).
+1 on fun factor. I love all the geeky toys in our rx400h. and you get a feel-good feeling at every stop light because the engine shuts off and you know you are being as efficient as possible
Old 03-18-09, 04:20 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bvenvert
If you spend a lot of time on the highway, then the hybrid won't save you money at the pump.
This statement is false. We see anywhere from 26 to 30 Hwy MPG. Try getting that in say a Cayenne that can hit 60 in under 7 seconds. Doesn't come close. The 350s don't get that either on the highway, nor do the current diesel options out there.
Old 03-18-09, 07:13 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FAST!!! Really fun to watch the screen and feel all the items coming together.

I love the CVT, instant acceleration and it can hold you at max power.

And yeah the highway improves as well. The GS450h is rated 25 highway but I got 36 MPG at 65... You just need to use the surge techniques in which you accelerate then get off and the engine turns off. REALLY fun!!!!! But if there are lots of other people on the roadway I imagine it pisses them off...
Old 03-18-09, 09:45 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Ah, I've heard of people doing better than 30 MPG in the GS450h. Road and Track got 33 as I recall. Cool beans.
Old 03-25-09, 12:33 AM
ColdLexus
Driver

Talking

Positives over the non-hybrid RX:
Better MPG
Fun to try and beat your last best MPG
Quiet drive off - no engine noise till the gas engine kicks in
Better torque
Lower center of gravity - due to those batteries under the rear seat
Neat sounds from the car after you walk away (the battery "sigh")
The panache of "hybrid" badging (all image, no substance)

The negatives:
Heavier vehicle
Pedestrians might not hear you as you start to drive away
"Shudder" as gas engine starts and stops
You might be mistaken for Bragalina
The fuel door might take longer than half a second to open