Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Test drove a used RX400h

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-09, 09:52 AM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Test drove a used RX400h

Test drove a used CPO RX400h. This was the first hybrid car I've driven. My question is, is it normal to feel that slight vibration when the engine comes on around 15mph when pulling off from a stoplight everytime?
-How often does the motor shut off?
-What if theres a cold morning and you want to turn the engine on to let it warm up where would you get your heat since it only runs for a couple of minutes?
-Do the batteries lose their charge faster as the car ages?
-How well does it perform in the snow?
Old 03-15-09, 10:06 AM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

I can answer some of those questions, but my GS450h has never seen snow. Once warmed up, the engine will turn off whenever it can. Whether it be on the freeway or just in a neighborhood. The only times when I notice it being on are, right after getting off the freeway while stopped it takes about 15 seconds to turn off. Another instance when it won't turn off is in the first 5 minutes of running when it is trying to get the heater core to temp and the engine to temp to lower emissions. When cold I find the chunk to be the worst but once at speed and if you let off and get back on, it is seamless.

I don't have much personal experience with the battery because mine is still pretty new. But from research, yes eventually it will lose capacity and become less efficient. But you must realize that this is EVENTUALLY. It is predicted to happen well out of the lexus warranty. There are some examples of these batteries seeing over 200,000 miles and over 8 years (prius batteries are very similar).

As for the cold morning, it will stay on for as long as it needs to in order to get the heater core warm then it will turn off but continue heating. If more heat is required, the engine will start up again.
Old 03-15-09, 10:30 AM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Thank you very much for you help lucas. So I'm thinking the one I drove even after warm driving I could still feel this sluggish vibration when the engine come on after hitting 15mph that isn't normal.

Also I would like to pick your brain so more. When you're braking do you hear a whirring noise from the rotors/pads?

This may be a silly question but if you were to take it to automatic car wash that sprays the under body there is not risk of getting electrocuted or shorting out the battries? I'm sure there's waterproofing in place but I have to ask to be sure.
Old 03-15-09, 10:56 AM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

The braking is one place of difference between the RX and GS. I test drove the RX400h (I was going to buy the GS450h and RX400h at the same time, but decided to wait for 2010 RX450h) and noticed a very loud electric motor whirring noise when braking. I think it is the normal noise of regenerative braking, the use of the electric motor to transform kinetic energy into electricity. The GS is almost silent during braking. There is just a very slight high pitch whine. To me I would get use to the whirring and it is an added reminder that you are in an awesome car.

I am 100% sure there will be no electrocution from the battery in a car wash. Lexus is a very responsible company, for instance they won't put Xenons in their flagship LX570 in case of shinning the lights at someone. They have taken care of that. I am not sure what would happen in a flood. I think then water would have to enter the inverter for something like that to happen. All in all don't worry about that.
Old 03-15-09, 11:06 AM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CometVR4
Thank you very much for you help lucas. So I'm thinking the one I drove even after warm driving I could still feel this sluggish vibration when the engine come on after hitting 15mph that isn't normal.

Also I would like to pick your brain so more. When you're braking do you hear a whirring noise from the rotors/pads?

This may be a silly question but if you were to take it to automatic car wash that sprays the under body there is not risk of getting electrocuted or shorting out the battries? I'm sure there's waterproofing in place but I have to ask to be sure.
The little bit of vibration you feel is totally normal when the gas engine shuts off or starts up. The whirring sound you here is the electric motors sometimes a little siren like if you. I once had a passenger ask me "I here a police car?" There is no danger at all of any electrocution or anything in a car wash or on wet roads. There are a number of fault protection monitors on the vehicle very similar to your ground fault outlets in the kitchen or bathroom. If you do decide to purchase this vehicle make sure the tires are NOT GOOD YEAR. There are a number of threads related to these tires.
Old 03-15-09, 11:10 AM
CometVR4
Pole Position

I really liked it. The only thing that would stop me from purchasing it would be the fact it does not have Navi or XM radio. But I loved the Black on Black. I believe the tires were Michelin Energy
Old 03-15-09, 11:31 AM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

XM Radio to my knowledge never comes on a Lexus from the factory. Your local Lexus dealer (or you if you're a DIYer) can install it for a few hundred. But do try to find one with Nav.

Also try to find one with the Michelin (MXV4 I think). I have only heard horror stories about the Badyears.
Old 03-16-09, 05:25 PM
flnsx
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

The Michelins still suck. They squeal when you go around corners at 4/10th's.

If you are in a warm climate I would replace them with summer tires.
Old 03-16-09, 05:28 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Test drove a used CPO RX400h. This was the first hybrid car I've driven. My question is, is it normal to feel that slight vibration when the engine comes on around 15mph when pulling off from a stoplight everytime?
-How often does the motor shut off?
-What if theres a cold morning and you want to turn the engine on to let it warm up where would you get your heat since it only runs for a couple of minutes?
-Do the batteries lose their charge faster as the car ages?
-How well does it perform in the snow?
-Yes, you'll get used to that little vibration though.
-The motor shuts off any time it can. Either when in Idle and decelerating ect.
-The engine runs the motor until the car is warmed up and then shuts off
-I do not know...
-I also dont know (Im from Texas)
Old 03-16-09, 05:42 PM
flnsx
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I can get ours up to 40mph sometimes before the engine kicks on! Love it!

I have never seen the battery indicator totally full yet.
Old 03-25-09, 01:11 AM
ColdLexus
Driver

As for driving in the snow, very good performance in all kind of snow. Still, get snow tires if you live where it is white for long periods of time!
Old 05-11-09, 08:29 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Update: Drove a few more RX400hs

I've notice some keeps the batteries charged in the green zone and some are in the blue and never see green.

The first RX400h I drove made a judder and clunk when the engine kicked on the other two were seamless and I could only tell when I was really trying.

Also the Second RX400h I drove that had the green batteries (1 bar from the top) on the info display and drove more on Electric power only. Meaning it could handle more load before the gasoline engine engaged.

The third one the batteries was always 2 bars from the the top but were blue and it seemed like unless the ground was perfectly flat it the engine was engaging every time I'd pull off.

Whats up with that?
Old 05-12-09, 04:48 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Update: Drove a few more RX400hs

I've notice some keeps the batteries charged in the green zone and some are in the blue and never see green.

The first RX400h I drove made a judder and clunk when the engine kicked on the other two were seamless and I could only tell when I was really trying.

Also the Second RX400h I drove that had the green batteries (1 bar from the top) on the info display and drove more on Electric power only. Meaning it could handle more load before the gasoline engine engaged.

The third one the batteries was always 2 bars from the the top but were blue and it seemed like unless the ground was perfectly flat it the engine was engaging every time I'd pull off.

Whats up with that?
It is perfectly normal not to see the green on the battery. This comes out of my owners manual. I have seen the green a few times on my 2006 RX400h mostly on a cool day.

"The transition between gas and electric is virtually smooth and seemless it is extremely rare that I feel or even hear the gas engine turn on or off."

If you consider any of these vehicles I would ask to see a Carfax report on them. A Lexus dealer can also tell you if the vehicle has been serviced by Lexus or not. I leased a Certified Pree-Owned RX400h the dealer gave me the Carfax report without me even asking for it.

Last edited by herbvdh; 05-12-09 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-13-09, 12:52 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you consider any of these vehicles I would ask to see a Carfax report on them. A Lexus dealer can also tell you if the vehicle has been serviced by Lexus or not. I leased a Certified Pree-Owned RX400h the dealer gave me the Carfax report without me even asking for it.

If it's a CPO Lexus, they automatically come with Carfax report.
Old 05-21-09, 03:08 PM
pacoshalom
Driver School Candidate

I just purchased a 2006 RX400h and it works as I would expect. The battery/motor is stronger than in a Prius, so it can propel the car without the engine quite well. I've noticed mine also has a little constant vibration when driving around 40 MPH. I have not noticed any unusual sounds from the brakes, but that could be because I'm accustomed to driving a hybrid.

I also have a 2005 Prius which has never had any problems. I think the extra 5-10 MPG is worth at least a couple thousand dollars in the price. In 3+ years, I have saved at least $1500 on gas with the Prius compared to other cars.

Quick Reply: Test drove a used RX400h