Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Hybrid RX vs RX.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-09, 05:27 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rets94
Thanks for all the links...

Lexus keeps saying it's going to be quieter. But, lots of RX drivers and magazine reviewers have said it's not... sigh.
I test drove the new RX350 a couple months ago and I thought it was considerably more quiet than the the RX400h that my wife now drives (when the engine is running on the RX400h). I don't recall. Have you test driver the RX350 yet? That's the best way to know for sure.
Old 04-24-09, 12:30 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for all the links...

Lexus keeps saying it's going to be quieter. But, lots of RX drivers and magazine reviewers have said it's not... sigh.

magazine reviewers say one thing; but to know for sure, you need to see the car for yourself and test drive it. what the reviewers think doesn't matter, it's what you think and want that is important. looking at the 2010 RX broshure, the 450h seems to be a better car. you get more bells and whistles. is it worth the extra $4K+ (or more) over a similarly equipped 350? you can answer that question ONLY if you have test drove the 450h.

don't be like this member here, he regretted getting awd and wants rwd:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-350-rwd.html

in your case, it would be getting the regular RX350 but you find out later that you really wanted the 450h. IF you truly believe that the 450h is not for you, then fine. go ahead and order the 350. but if you still have lingering doubts, then your best option is to wait and test drive it. better to know for sure than to buy a 350 and regret your decision later. 2 cents
Old 04-24-09, 12:33 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
I test drove the new RX350 a couple months ago and I thought it was considerably more quiet than the the RX400h that my wife now drives (when the engine is running on the RX400h). I don't recall. Have you test driver the RX350 yet? That's the best way to know for sure.
well the RX400h is 2nd gen, and the new RX350 is 3rd gen. i would certainly hope that there would be improvements in the new RX over the previous gen (particularly with regards to being quiet)!!!
Old 04-24-09, 02:56 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Red face

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
Originally Posted by Stormforge
magazine reviewers say one thing; but to know for sure, you need to see the car for yourself and test drive it. what the reviewers think doesn't matter, it's what you think and want that is important. looking at the 2010 RX broshure, the 450h seems to be a better car. you get more bells and whistles. is it worth the extra $4K+ (or more) over a similarly equipped 350? you can answer that question ONLY if you have test drove the 450h.

in your case, it would be getting the regular RX350 but you find out later that you really wanted the 450h. IF you truly believe that the 450h is not for you, then fine. go ahead and order the 350. but if you still have lingering doubts, then your best option is to wait and test drive it. better to know for sure than to buy a 350 and regret your decision later. 2 cents
PatsSoxfan,

Really appreciate your words and encouragement.

I will try my best to make the right decision. It's very possible Hybrid is now out of my selections. But, who knows! I might change my mind again prior to the final decision.

I used to have the bad experiences with early version Hybrid vehicles or the vehicles with the electric motors. The driving feeling with that CVT type tranny really killed me. It's my personal preference, nothing against the car or technology itself. I may have to wait for next version of Hybrid.

Having the Hybrid vehicle may help save the Earth, but if it's really not the car I like, I know what I have to do.

As for '10RX350, I have test-driven 3 AWD ones so far, from 3 different dealers. 2 of them are almost perfect, quietness and good noise control. But, 1 of them, with 900 miles, I heard the high-pitch noise from somewhere underneath the car or from the engine bay every time when accelerating. If I stepped harder, the noise got louder. And, since it's the high-pitch sound, the louder is harsh to the ears, I should better play my violin instead of driving it. If I'm ok with the loud engine note, I will buy Porsche Cayenne V8, and stop testing other SUV. IMO.

Other 2 RX without noise are all under 200 miles. Let's why I worry if the noise will eventually take place after hundred miles. Since reviewers say the simlar things, it makes me even more anxious.
Old 04-24-09, 04:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

toyota/lexus hybrids dont have cvt's, and they dont drive like your normal cvt's.

it drives like perfect automatic should.

i dont know what bad experience did you have with hybrids "or the vehicles with the electric motors". I can tell you that 2nd gen prius had the most bullet proof powertrain out of entire toyota lineup.

Reviewers say that noise will take place after hundred miles? Okie dokie... :-). I dont really know what that means, i suggest that you talk to other owners that have RX about the noises.
Old 04-24-09, 05:07 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
...Reviewers say that noise will take place after hundred miles? Okie dokie... :-). I dont really know what that means, i suggest that you talk to other owners that have RX about the noises.
I didn't mean reviewers say the noise will be louder after miles. Magazine reviews said they feel this RX is noiser than the predecessor. Sorry, I don't remember which one does explain the type of noise they've heard.
Old 04-24-09, 05:39 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

toyota/lexus hybrids dont have cvt's, and they dont drive like your normal cvt's.

i dont know what bad experience did you have with hybrids "or the vehicles with the electric motors". I can tell you that 2nd gen prius had the most bullet proof powertrain out of entire toyota lineup.
I lost the ideas of what cars I was driving/testing in late '90 and beginning of 21 century.

When talking about Prius, I was not fond of NHW10. When talking CVT, I hated Nissan's CVT in late '90. Then, the early Audi CVT also made me sick. Of course, now CVT is more advanced and mature, however, I'd prefer to wait and see, and drive cars with the regular or DSG-like trannies.
Old 04-25-09, 05:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

I lost the ideas of what cars I was driving/testing in late '90 and beginning of 21 century.

When talking about Prius, I was not fond of NHW10. When talking CVT, I hated Nissan's CVT in late '90. Then, the early Audi CVT also made me sick. Of course, now CVT is more advanced and mature, however, I'd prefer to wait and see, and drive cars with the regular or DSG-like trannies.
sure, but toyota/lexus hybrids dont have CVT .
And NHW10 was Echo basically. Things change in 10 years :-)

I drove Toyota's latest CVT's, supposedly rated best in the industry by reviewers and yes it is definetly "different" experience... and yes, driving hybrid doesnt feel anything like driving an CVT.

as to the noise, i suggest that you check with people here that owned both, who will really know to tell the difference, and i believe quite few voiced their opinion already on how superior new one is.
Old 04-25-09, 08:17 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Cool

sure, but toyota/lexus hybrids dont have CVT .
And NHW10 was Echo basically. Things change in 10 years :-)

I drove Toyota's latest CVT's, supposedly rated best in the industry by reviewers and yes it is definetly "different" experience... and yes, driving hybrid doesnt feel anything like driving an CVT.

as to the noise, i suggest that you check with people here that owned both, who will really know to tell the difference, and i believe quite few voiced their opinion already on how superior new one is.
Thanks. I'll wait for next version's CVT or Hybrid. Please forgive my ignorance about them.

As for the noise, be honest to you, I agree '10RX is great. 2 out of 3 '10RX350 I had test-drove so far, they're almost perfect with the admirable quietness and intimate comfort.

The noise I'm talking about is this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ust-noise.html

Everyone has the varied opinions about why they like to buy SUV. I have been considering whether I should buy the SUV with the luxury plus quietness OR with more driving passion.

If my test-drive today is good without that high-pitch noise I heard from another '10RX, I'll get '10RX for sure, and I'm willing to take my chance even though my car "might" develop this type of noise in the coming future.

If, unfortunately, I hear that type of noise again in my 4th test-drive today, instead of that high-pitch screech, I'll prefer to buying the noisy Porsche Cayenne V8 with the sporty engine exhaust note. Btw, its maintenance interval is 2yr/20k miles.
Old 04-25-09, 04:53 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus hybrids have a CVT.
Old 04-25-09, 06:40 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

OK. I test-drove my 4th and 5th '10RX350 today, with/without the sport package. Good news is that they don't have the noise I'm afraid of. Both rides were smooth and pleasant.

As others have commented, Lexus's sport package makes almost no difference to the ride. And, 19" tires seemed to make noisy, comparing with 18".
Old 05-06-09, 06:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Stormforge

If money is not an issue, to me its a no brainer, get the hybrid.
Old 05-06-09, 08:08 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Wink

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If money is not an issue, to me its a no brainer, get the hybrid.
I'll not buy Lexus.
Old 05-06-09, 08:58 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you driven either of these cars? maybe i missed the sarcasm hehe

this is not quite true. my rx400h definitely has CVT and i love that it can keep it at the optimal powerband when i am passing on the highway. it makes for a smooth pass.

when i brought it in for service, the loaner was an rx350 and the regular tranny was like night and day compared to cvt. when passing on the highway in an rx350, it has to downshift so there is a brief pause, then a rush of speed.

Last edited by GQD_GS4; 05-06-09 at 09:03 PM.