Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

How to drive a hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-09, 04:43 AM
RX450H
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to drive a hybrid?

Hi, I am interested in getting the new 2010 RX450h. Never driven hybrid before. Is there any difference driving a hybrid vs gas engine cars? I heard that you had to drive like a grandma in order to take advantage of the hybrid, is that true?
Old 05-01-09, 02:59 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Actually if you drive like a "grandma" you will miss the point of the hybrid system for the RX450 and still won't get the full available mileage. What works best for me in town is to accelerate normally (uses the ICE) until I reach my planned speed, then I back off the accel and coast a bit. I watch ahead for lights and stopped traffic. When approaching a stop, I apply light braking early to recharge the battery and try to hit the light without stopping if possible. The idea is to maximize the time you run on battery power. Trying to accelerate from a stop without starting the ICE will run the battery down fast, be really slow, and not help your mileage. While I had my 400h, I averaged almost 30 mpg in town and just about 27 mpg overall. Not bad for an SUV with the performance of the Lexus.

By the way, my wife qualifies as a "grandma" but she has had a couple of speeding tickets and stills drives agressively. He car is an Infiniti G35 coupe.
Steve
Old 05-01-09, 05:27 PM
RX450H
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks oldcajun,

Please educate me, what is "ICE"? Is there a switch you can turn it on like "OD off". Also there is a "B" gear on transmission. Does that stand for Battery? Do you use that when you run out of gas?

TIA
Old 05-01-09, 05:45 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RX450H
Thanks oldcajun,

Please educate me, what is "ICE"? Is there a switch you can turn it on like "OD off". Also there is a "B" gear on transmission. Does that stand for Battery? Do you use that when you run out of gas?

TIA
"ICE" is Internal Combustion Engine. No switch, the computer decides, but the EV switch inhibits the starting of the engine for a short trip. The "B" on the transmission is for braking. On a long downhill stretch, it will help slow the car. One caution on the hybrid: do not run out of gas! The system protects itself so there is a dealer visit likely if you do run out of gas.
Old 05-02-09, 05:39 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Actually if you drive like a "grandma" you will miss the point of the hybrid system for the RX450 and still won't get the full available mileage. What works best for me in town is to accelerate normally (uses the ICE) until I reach my planned speed, then I back off the accel and coast a bit. I watch ahead for lights and stopped traffic. When approaching a stop, I apply light braking early to recharge the battery and try to hit the light without stopping if possible. The idea is to maximize the time you run on battery power. Trying to accelerate from a stop without starting the ICE will run the battery down fast, be really slow, and not help your mileage. While I had my 400h, I averaged almost 30 mpg in town and just about 27 mpg overall. Not bad for an SUV with the performance of the Lexus.

By the way, my wife qualifies as a "grandma" but she has had a couple of speeding tickets and stills drives agressively. He car is an Infiniti G35 coupe.
Steve
Thanks for detailing to us all Hybrid techniques.

Question: whne applying light braking, will this wear down the brake pads as we do on the regular vehicles, or this won't wear away pads but you just brake slightly to trigger the Hybrid to recharge the battery? When recharging the battery, will Hybrid get any kind of the engine-brake?
Old 05-03-09, 11:34 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RX450H

Hi, I am interested in getting the new 2010 RX450h. Never driven hybrid before. Is there any difference driving a hybrid vs gas engine cars? I heard that you had to drive like a grandma in order to take advantage of the hybrid, is that true?
You drive it like any other car. There are differences and the manual will inform you "it won't drive like a normal car". Some key things
1. The car will be eerily silent compared to a regular car.
2. The electric motor/gas switch is amazingly seamless. The only time you can tell is at a complete rest, sometimes you can feel the battery turn off. Nothing serious.
3. The power is "electrifying" when you punch it. That is b/c the instant torque from the batteries makes the car accelerate fast, especially for passing power.
4. The CVT takes getting used to. Unlike a conventional automatic, its technically always in the right gear, so it doesn't shift. Feels odd compared to a regular car where you know the car is shifting.
5. THe brakes can feel grabby/artificial and again, take some time to get used to.

I'm on my first hybrid and I love it. I don't see myself not buying hybrids from now on unless the vehicle will be a truck or sports/sporty car.
Old 05-03-09, 11:36 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rets94
Thanks for detailing to us all Hybrid techniques.

Question: whne applying light braking, will this wear down the brake pads as we do on the regular vehicles, or this won't wear away pads but you just brake slightly to trigger the Hybrid to recharge the battery? When recharging the battery, will Hybrid get any kind of the engine-brake?
No additional wear, the brakes are the same. The car also recharges the electric motors when you "coast".

With the CVT, there is minimal engine braking as the tranny is continuously moving in the right gear. What it does help with is coasting which gives you better MPG and it also recharges the brakes.
Old 05-03-09, 11:40 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
No additional wear, the brakes are the same. The car also recharges the electric motors when you "coast".

With the CVT, there is minimal engine braking as the tranny is continuously moving in the right gear. What it does help with is coasting which gives you better MPG and it also recharges the brakes.
This technology seems to get maturer and more advanced... good one. Thanks.
Old 05-03-09, 12:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rets94
This technology seems to get maturer and more advanced... good one. Thanks.
Lexus treats their hybrids as another line of cars basically. Here is a great read on some new steps they take to build the RX 450h

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...rid-plant.html
Old 05-04-09, 06:57 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

i dont think the 450h has the "B" function anymore.