Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Towing/ water with RX 450h

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-09, 06:29 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Towing/ water with RX 450h

Hello RX forum

My family is current debating between a Highlander Hybrid and an RX 450h. The HH has the edge in space and price obviously, but the RX has the nod in power, efficiency, technology, luxury, and about every other conceivable area.

There is now another consideration to be made...towing. We recently purchased a lake house so there will be a need for some light towing. I know that the towing capacity is 3500 lbs and we should be well below that, but what are the stipulations with towing in a hybrid? I heard a story of a guy trying to tow a boat in his RX 400h and he fried the battery because it was towing uphill out of a steep grade...something about the battery being the sole supplier of power at speeds less than 25mph with the extra weight caused it to fry. Anyone know anything about this? Can anyone give tips or facts on towing with a hybrid?

Also, we will be backing the boat into the marina every now and then and the back of the car will be partially in the water. While it will be far from submersion, the water may come up to the rear body of the car and around the exhaust pipe area. I would imagine that there are some stipulations with this as well?

My nearly mother-in-law had her heart set on a hybrid SUV before the lake house was purchased so I am just trying to determine the viability of a hybrid for our needs with towing/lake use.

Thank you
Old 06-14-09, 11:05 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Hello RX forum

My family is current debating between a Highlander Hybrid and an RX 450h. The HH has the edge in space and price obviously, but the RX has the nod in power, efficiency, technology, luxury, and about every other conceivable area.

There is now another consideration to be made...towing. We recently purchased a lake house so there will be a need for some light towing. I know that the towing capacity is 3500 lbs and we should be well below that, but what are the stipulations with towing in a hybrid? I heard a story of a guy trying to tow a boat in his RX 400h and he fried the battery because it was towing uphill out of a steep grade...something about the battery being the sole supplier of power at speeds less than 25mph with the extra weight caused it to fry. Anyone know anything about this? Can anyone give tips or facts on towing with a hybrid?

Also, we will be backing the boat into the marina every now and then and the back of the car will be partially in the water. While it will be far from submersion, the water may come up to the rear body of the car and around the exhaust pipe area. I would imagine that there are some stipulations with this as well?

My nearly mother-in-law had her heart set on a hybrid SUV before the lake house was purchased so I am just trying to determine the viability of a hybrid for our needs with towing/lake use.

Thank you
found this pic today:
Attached Thumbnails Towing/ water with RX 450h-2009_lexus_rx-450h_07.jpg  
Old 06-14-09, 11:17 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Hello RX forum

I heard a story of a guy trying to tow a boat in his RX 400h and he fried the battery because it was towing uphill out of a steep grade...something about the battery being the sole supplier of power at speeds less than 25mph with the extra weight caused it to fry. Anyone know anything about this? Can anyone give tips or facts on towing with a hybrid?

Thank you
I'm not sure where these "stories" come from about the hybrids, but most are just not true. There is nothing in the system that has the car running on electric power only below 25 mph. There are several requirements that will run the ICE at zero speed including application of full throttle. It is actually difficult to force the system to stay on electric power only. The 450h will stay electric only much more often than the 400h did to improve mileage.

As far as operating in water, I drove my 400h through deep water several times during our monsoon seasons with no problem.

Steve
Old 06-18-09, 04:14 PM
jrobe
Pit Crew

Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts

I tow my 2000+ lb boat (17 footer with a Honda 75HP motor) with no problem with my 400h. Just got back from a trip to Canada - 600 miles total. It tows great. No problem on steep hills. I even averaged about 21mph which is awesome compared to my last Chevy Blazer. I lose about 6-8 mph while I am towing but that is less than I would have expected.