Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

traction battery question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-09, 10:15 AM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default traction battery question

I've had my 06 CPO RX400H for just over 3 months now and I'm just wondering

Is the traction battery always drops down to 2 bar the next morning regardless ? This sucks cos every morning when I start my car and go to work I notice the battery is always at 2 bars resulting in using the gas engine first until I hit the freeway and charge the battery. In turn I'm not getting good gas mileage
cos I'm using gas engine more than the battery.

Does this happen to anyone ? Is my battery defective ?
Old 06-20-09, 01:23 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mowmow
I've had my 06 CPO RX400H for just over 3 months now and I'm just wondering

Is the traction battery always drops down to 2 bar the next morning regardless ? This sucks cos every morning when I start my car and go to work I notice the battery is always at 2 bars resulting in using the gas engine first until I hit the freeway and charge the battery. In turn I'm not getting good gas mileage
cos I'm using gas engine more than the battery.

Does this happen to anyone ? Is my battery defective ?
It is normal for the gas engine to start up within the first 30 to 45 seconds. I rarely look at the battery in the AM anyway. I average about 25 to 27 MPG driving easily that is no jackrabbit starts from lights etc. I watch the bar graph and try to keep it as high as possible including ride on electric for about a mile or two at 35 to 40 MPH almost every day.
Old 06-20-09, 03:23 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Your engine turns on when you go in reverse out of the garage, but it should not be on 2 bars. Mine is almost never ever on 2 bars only in extreme prolonged traffic jams. I would have it checked especially since it is a cpo one.
Old 06-22-09, 08:40 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

I agree with the other response, but my engine turns on in the morning so it can warm up after that it should be the normal procedures. But, not really getting the two bars depleted after the next morning, mine usually holds the power in the battery.
Old 06-22-09, 10:16 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Have it checked out. When I turn off my rx400h with 4-5 bars, it always has 4-5 bars the next morning.
Old 06-23-09, 08:29 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

same here.. ours stay at whatever bar it was on the day before.
Old 06-23-09, 04:46 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Everyone, thank you for feedback, I've scheduled an appointment with the dealer to check it out
Old 06-23-09, 11:03 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

No problem, good luck with the dealership, be sure to update us on your findings, and hope everything goes well for you!
Old 06-26-09, 10:55 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

On an unrelated problem I had to pay the dealership a visit today cos my AC is out and after inspection, they found out my AC condenser has a hole in it and all the freon is gone : ( Since this is a damage and not a defective item, the dealer repair bill is $1550
They did also check the battery and said there is nothing wrong with it,
I'll let go for now for I'm $1500+ down the hole on a repair.......
Old 07-02-09, 11:11 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

Wow $1500+ for the AC condenser? Holy SMOKES!!!
Old 07-03-09, 08:57 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Yea it's a ridiculous price, so I've called Lexus Corporate to investigate the dealer and told them I have a bad history with them. I suspect it's somewhat a retaliation from the dealer.
Lexus told me not to pick the car up yet until they come up with a result by the coming Tuesday, I will know more and Lexus may offer assistance to resolve issue.
Old 07-03-09, 10:31 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mowmow
Yea it's a ridiculous price, so I've called Lexus Corporate to investigate the dealer and told them I have a bad history with them. I suspect it's somewhat a retaliation from the dealer.
Lexus told me not to pick the car up yet until they come up with a result by the coming Tuesday, I will know more and Lexus may offer assistance to resolve issue.
Hopefully they will come to a good conclusion, let us know what goes down!
Old 07-07-09, 04:27 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

I called Lexus today and spoke with them. Lexus is going to cover the entire $1500 bill as a good will gesture to the customer (me) I got them to talk to my service advisor on a 3 way conference to clear up all the details, all I have left to do is to pickup my RX tomorrow
Old 07-07-09, 10:11 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

Wow nice man, how did you get them to do that? Great to hear you came to a good conclusion, hopefully they gave you a loaner vehicle for your carless days.
Old 07-08-09, 03:11 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

I told them the whole situation and that it's ridiculous the AC condenser goes out after 3 months of purchase. Given their track record of the dealership I also reported them not doing their job like they suppose to. I did get to drive a 2010 ES350 to drive and a 2010 RX350 during the whole time while my car is at the dealership.

Quick Reply: traction battery question