Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

"Past Record" updating problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-09, 01:12 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since rxets,

I read this on the Manual countless times and every time it did not properly register on the brain. This is because where it says "since the reset" for the Past Record screen, I took the word "reset" to mean the Past Record was cleared (on the screen itself). It NEVER occurred to me and I bet many others (including my salesman and service manager) that they are talking about the reset button on the steering wheel. I am anxious to try this out after I get home this evening (going straight from work to playing tennis). I do have one more question though. Why doesn't the Current fuel economy ever change? Is it because, it just gives you the current mpg at the point of pressing the reset button and that's it? If so, what purpose does this serve?

rxets, you have been and continue to be very helpful on these forums.

Last edited by PatsSoxfan; 07-14-09 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-15-09, 01:40 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Well lo and behold, rxets is exactly right. It all started to make sense the more I have been thinking about it. The entire trick has to do with the so called "reset" button on the steering wheel. In my opinion, Lexus did a very poor job of explaining this on the Owner's Manual. They should have made it a point to give much more of a detailed explanation of exactly what they mean by reset. As I stated above, I bet most folks think that by "reset" they mean to clear the Past Record.

Everything makes sense now. This includes the current mpg. It actually updates after resetting. It reads 32.3 on the information window of the instrument cluster and eye balling the bar on the "current" mpg of the Past Record screen on the Navigation, that is precisely what it appears to read after driving around the city doing errands this afternoon. I reset it just as we started driving and we drove a total of about 25 miles.
Old 07-17-09, 06:59 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Maybe I,m not as "stupid" as I thought. Upon further review, the information on the Owner's Manuals for the RX450h for the Past Record is very much lacking in detail. At first I thought it may have had something in there about "resetting", but it does not. On page 155 of the Nav. Manual all it says is a little blurb on Fuel Consumption that tells the owner to look for more details on section 1-1 of the Owner's Manual. It does not mention the word "reset". On the Owner's Manual, it gives a bit more detail on page 38. It discusses the clearing function for the Past Record. Nowhere does it talk about pressing the reset button on the steering wheel. All it says is that once the "clear" is selected, then the Past Record is reset (starts over again). It is totally lacking an explanation of how to reset the Past Record other than totally clearing it. It is quite different than the info that rxets provided for the RX350. This is a very poor job by the writers of the Manuals for the RX450h.
Old 07-17-09, 07:07 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

About "reset", if you click that "?" sign on the Past Record screen, it seems to explain something.

As for lacking in detail on manuals, I was ever trying to find other language's owner manual (Japan), and would like to know if they have the different one. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any...
Old 07-17-09, 08:39 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rxets
About "reset", if you click that "?" sign on the Past Record screen, it seems to explain something.

As for lacking in detail on manuals, I was ever trying to find other language's owner manual (Japan), and would like to know if they have the different one. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any...
I hope no one takes this the wrong way, it's totally meant with humor in mind. If we ate more rice, we'd understand their logic . That said, I don't have a problem and I'm glad our (h) models come from the Kyushu plant in Japan.
Old 07-17-09, 09:38 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope you guys stick around this board at least until I get delivery on my car so I can learn a from you all!
Old 07-18-09, 05:20 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hal56
I hope you guys stick around this board at least until I get delivery on my car so I can learn a from you all!
Have no fear Hal, we will be here.

BTW, you will love this car. It is a lot of fun to drive.
Old 07-19-09, 05:27 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
Have no fear Hal, we will be here.

BTW, you will love this car. It is a lot of fun to drive.

Thanks folks--I needed that :-)

the dealers in my area have no Hybrids in stock--they come in and get prepped and sold within a day--almost all spoken for.

One dealer called saying he had two fully loaded (59k sticker) the other morning--one sold by noon but the other was still for sale-it was gone by evening and I did not want a fully loaded one anyway.

Just waiting for mine.