Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

LED vs Bi-Xenon and other choices

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-09, 12:04 AM
steveyz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED vs Bi-Xenon and other choices

I've decided to get a rx450h. I love my 03 Infiniti G35, but with a new baby and the associated stroller/carseat/etc, I need more space. Plus I'm tired of getting 14mpg (all city driving in SF, I have semi-lead foot and the hills don't help either).

I'd need to get the power folding mirrors so it can fit through my garage door, but apparently that's only available with the luxury package and the local dealers don't usually get many of those. So it looks like I'm gonna have to special order. I'm definitely getting

1) Nav Package
2) Luxury Package
3) Intuitive Parking Assist

however, I need some help deciding on the rest of the options

4) LED vs Bi-Xenon: Which is brighter? Is the LED worth the extra $700?

5) Comfort Package: SF weather is never hot or cold, so do I need it?

6) Heads-up Display: Looks very cool, but worth the $1.2k?

7) PCS and Dynamic Radar Cruise: Anyone have any comments on if the dynamic cruise works well, or well enough to justify the extra cost?

Any and all comments welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-09, 04:11 AM
spoon808
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not know the exact lumen output of the LED headlights, but I do know that they consume almost as much as HID's (LED's 33watts vs. HID's 35watts). Also although they may produce less lumens, they're actually comparable to HID's with what light actually makes it out of the projector.

The speculated color temperature of the lights are between 5000-5500k making it a little whiter than OEM HID's. Can't forget the instant peak output of the lights when turned on too, unlike the HID warmup.

Here's a thread with shots from the headlights on an rx450h:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology/436694-our-rx450h-few-photos-not-very-good-photos-5.html

additional shots from a Prius, which basically uses the same LED low beam unit:

Another benefit, these lights are so damn sexy!!

Last edited by spoon808; 08-09-09 at 04:17 AM.
Old 08-09-09, 01:11 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by steveyz
I've decided to get a rx450h. I love my 03 Infiniti G35, but with a new baby and the associated stroller/carseat/etc, I need more space. Plus I'm tired of getting 14mpg (all city driving in SF, I have semi-lead foot and the hills don't help either).

I'd need to get the power folding mirrors so it can fit through my garage door, but apparently that's only available with the luxury package and the local dealers don't usually get many of those. So it looks like I'm gonna have to special order. I'm definitely getting

1) Nav Package
2) Luxury Package
3) Intuitive Parking Assist

however, I need some help deciding on the rest of the options

4) LED vs Bi-Xenon: Which is brighter? Is the LED worth the extra $700?

5) Comfort Package: SF weather is never hot or cold, so do I need it?

6) Heads-up Display: Looks very cool, but worth the $1.2k?

7) PCS and Dynamic Radar Cruise: Anyone have any comments on if the dynamic cruise works well, or well enough to justify the extra cost?

Any and all comments welcome. Thanks in advance.
keep in mind that your G35 was designed to be performance oriented. if you are expecting performance ability from the 450h, you will be disappointed. you may be better off with a bmw x3, x5, or x6.

but to answer your questions:
4) led will last the lifetime of your vehicle, hid pretty much long lasting as well. if you don't plan on keeping your car for a long time, go with hid (no point in coughing up the extra money for led)

5) if you don't see a need for the comfort package, then you don't need it

6) hud - useful if you travel on highways or go to other states alot. if it's mainly city driving you do (and you know all the routes to take), there's really no need to get it. it's nice to have, but not necessary.

7) PCS and dynamic cruise control - PCS is great, should help to reduce injury in case of accident. dynamic cruise control - useful only if you drive on highways alot. if you are mainly a city driver, both these features are not necessary (but again, nice to have).

ultimately when getting a new car, choose what you think you will use on a regular basis. if you don't see yourself using it or seldom using it, then it's not worth getting. good luck!