Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

How good is the iPod control on Nav on 450h?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-09, 08:42 AM
turbospecc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

see (with video): https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ith-video.html

we will definitely be complaining to the dealership and Lexus about this, and I advise everyone to do the same. It definitely seems like an easy software fix.
Old 08-20-09, 09:12 AM
klegrow
Rookie

Jay, you hit the nail right on the head. Those would be my two top suggestions to Lexus. Ideally, Lexus would come up with something comparable to Microsoft Sync. At the price of this car, I should have something I can get in a ******ING For Fiesta!!!
Old 08-20-09, 09:22 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

FYI My Audi A4's iPod integration is quite good. You can scroll through lists based on Genre, Artist, Album, Songs & Playlists. Within each of those categories you can scroll continuously (it doesn't start playing any song until you select it). You can't search by letter, but the speed of scrolling speeds up with repeated turning of the **** so you can get to the middle or end of the list faster.

http://reviews.cnet.com/sc/32031692-2-440-DT3.jpg

http://ucarmagazine.com/wp-content/u...mmi4_media.jpg

And the song title is also displayed between the speedometer and tach (there's a secondary LCD display there).

All of this wasn't meant to praise Audi and bash Lexus, but just to say Lexus has really fallen behind the curve on this one.

(Same to be said of the Nav system. Here's a snapshot of Audi's current eye candy)
Old 08-20-09, 09:31 AM
klegrow
Rookie

Argelius....that is just damn pretty!
Old 08-21-09, 11:06 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

I just came across this. Notice Lexus isn't in the list (but Ford and Kia are!)

The Five Best Connected Auto Brands
Old 08-25-09, 02:36 PM
skoobz2001
Driver School Candidate

We leave it on random, because navigating the iPod menus sucks. It goes along well with the suckage of the entire Voice Command system.
Old 08-25-09, 07:25 PM
kopy kat
Driver School Candidate

new rx450h--how in the world do you, or can you hook up an older (20gb model) ipod?

I've tried the usb/ipod cable connection, and all it does is charge the battery on the ipod---will not "talk" to the ipod via the nav. screen.

thanks, Larry
Old 08-25-09, 08:03 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kopy kat
new rx450h--how in the world do you, or can you hook up an older (20gb model) ipod?

I've tried the usb/ipod cable connection, and all it does is charge the battery on the ipod---will not "talk" to the ipod via the nav. screen.

thanks, Larry
I'd have to get out the book to be sure, but I think I read that early model is 'NOT' supported. You can look in your book to see.
Old 08-26-09, 03:17 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

thanks, Larry
At some point in the distant past, Apple updated the connector on the bottom of the iPod to allow for more functionality. Consequently, the old iPods will not work (although you can still use the headphone jack as the output, although you'll have to change tracks, etc on the ipod itself.

Go buy yourself a shiny new iPod to go with your shiny new Lexus...
Old 08-26-09, 03:46 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, if you are using an older iPod you will likely be out of luck. The charging/connection pins were changed from a Firewire setup to a USB setup for more universal connectivity.

There may be a connector that you can buy that plugs into the bottom of your iPod that can make it work - I know they have one for the reverse issue (I have an Infiniti and they only work with the older iPods due to the way the hookup works so I can only use the older versions in that car unless I use that adapter on a new version).

Stinks though - I was hoping that when my wife got the new car I would at least get the new iPod but it never works that way

This is really an Apple isssue as they made the change to their connectors. If you really don't want to get a new iPod you should do a search for the adapter and see if it will work to convert the connection from your existing iPod to the new setup. I can't remember the name of the adapter but I believe it is from a Danish company. You can check out some Infiniti forums and search for 'iPod' and I'm sure it will pop up.

G'luck!
Jay
Old 08-26-09, 08:31 AM
kopy kat
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies on the connector--now it makes sense--should have had the salesman throw in a new ipod in the deal

Larry
Old 08-26-09, 09:41 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

my rx ipod interface allows me to play podcasts whereas my BMW does not.

Neither one appears to let me "scroll" forward or back withinga tune or podcast. I got that ability on $79 clock radio with IPOD dock.

my bmw has its conputer **** which turns/rotates--too bad it does not control the iopd like the scrooling function does,
Old 08-28-09, 10:56 AM
klegrow
Rookie

Hal, the middle button on the center console will let you page down, but it is very slow. If they couldn't include something like Microsoft Sync, they could have at least had a fast scroll or maybe the ability to click on a letter to jump the list. My hope is that they fix this and make it a free upgrade.
Old 11-01-09, 07:51 PM
kopy kat
Driver School Candidate

Default new ipod

ok--replaced the old 20GB with a brand new Nano Gen.5 model---and 95% of the time I can not get it to connect through the Nav system---I see on another post that others are having exactly the same problem--has anyone found an answer yet??? My dream is to hit the USB button and actually be able to listen to my music!

Ideas???

thanks, Larry
Old 11-02-09, 04:34 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok--replaced the old 20GB with a brand new Nano Gen.5 model---and 95% of the time I can not get it to connect through the Nav system---I see on another post that others are having exactly the same problem--has anyone found an answer yet??? My dream is to hit the USB button and actually be able to listen to my music!

Ideas???

thanks, Larry
A few quick thoughts:
1. upgrade the firmware on your iPod
2. Make sure you are using an APPLE USB cable. Many have been reporting similar problems that seemed to resolve when using the Apple cable.

See if either of those work.

And, to add to the forum - I am really getting to dislike the iPod interface. They just really chunked up the usefulness. You can't see any song information in certain menus and the title that shows when you are playing a song from a playlist is the playlist title not the song title. that's if you are even lucky enough to get that information.

I would love to see some basic information either always listed in the bar at the top (you know, the one that keeps disappearing) or if you adjust the volume or skip/FF/RW maybe that small window can pop up so you can see where you are in the song/podcast. Some folks like to skip around and usually they like to see what their location is in a song.

Sorry to rant but after driving the RX a bit more, I'm finding this to be my biggest annoyance. On the flip side - it's nice to have ANY iPod integration but yech! I'm not sure who designed the software but I don't think they bothered to ask normal people how they would actually use the system. Too many menus, ok's, arrow backs, no display of useful info, etc.

And don't even get me started on the scrolling issues! It took me 5 minutes to find an artist whose name starts with an 'M'. Ridiculous.

Again, sorry to rant but I was pretty frustrated yesterday when I was trying to find some music to listen to. So, not the end of the world but I hope Lexus is watching and will implement a software upgrade soon!!!!

Jay

Quick Reply: How good is the iPod control on Nav on 450h?