Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

How good is the iPod control on Nav on 450h?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-09, 06:27 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of an email address with which to send our "concerns" to Lexus? I know on their web site they have a "contact us" section, but most of the choices end up telling you have your dealer help you.
Old 05-04-10, 04:09 PM
jazz2451
Driver School Candidate

Default Cannot connect to ipod touch via usb

Originally Posted by kopy kat
ok--replaced the old 20GB with a brand new Nano Gen.5 model---and 95% of the time I can not get it to connect through the Nav system---I see on another post that others are having exactly the same problem--has anyone found an answer yet??? My dream is to hit the USB button and actually be able to listen to my music!

Ideas???

thanks, Larry
I can't connect my ipod touch via usb cable. It says there are no compatible files. I can connect through the bluetooth, but not the usb. Help!
Old 05-04-10, 07:47 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I've been reading the posts in this thread and wonder what car the posters are using or assuming. I connected mine and everything popped on the screen as it should. I think it is extremely well integrated. I'll say this, it is imperative that the songs, folders, albums, podcasts and artists are very well structured in iTunes to begin with. If your songs are in one playlist, yes it will be a nightmare.

I don't know where the poster who said songs could only be changed while in Park got that idea; nothing could be further from the truth. Also, you can jump to any song, folder, etc... any time, in motion or not.

Great system, a lot better than what I had on my LS...
Old 05-04-10, 07:50 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jazz2451
I can't connect my ipod touch via usb cable. It says there are no compatible files. I can connect through the bluetooth, but not the usb. Help!

I apologize that I don't have a reference at my fingertips, but your file structure on your touch may be the problem. I'll see if I can find it or perhaps someone else has it at their fingertips.

The manual says my iPhone is not compatible yet works 99% of the time, but I've never gotten the message you state.
Old 05-04-10, 10:12 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

iPhone is a fickle platform, and is made worse with its highly restricted Apple core. Yes, it will play all extensions out there, but whether it is able to do so when it is hardwired is another story altogether. I'm not surprised that Users are able to get around this roadblock using Bluetooth. iPod on the other hand is more forgiving, and is more likely to get more predictable results when linking to the RX.
Old 05-18-10, 12:08 PM
srmorris
Driver School Candidate

I wish there was a way to simply control my iphone audio through the iphone while still playing it through the USB cable.

Is there anyway to access the regular iphone controls after you've hooked it up to your nav system?
Old 05-18-10, 02:27 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by srmorris
I wish there was a way to simply control my iphone audio through the iphone while still playing it through the USB cable.

Is there anyway to access the regular iphone controls after you've hooked it up to your nav system?
If it works like the Ipod, you'll have to control it through the steering wheel or the display. If you want to control it from the device, then it will have to be connected through Blue Tooth, not USB.
Old 05-18-10, 06:14 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

That's right. USB relinquishes control to the device the iPod is connected to.

Essentially, it becomes a storage device or drive.
Old 05-22-10, 03:03 PM
pdxmark2
Driver School Candidate

I read this thread a few days ago... I'm about ready to upgrade my 2004RX to a 2010 RX450h. I went into the dealer yesterday with my iPhone 3GS, and connected it via the USB cable. It seemed to work just fine, and I didn't see the "autoselect" thing happening on the playlists. When I selected the first song from the iPhone, that song kept playing in the background as I navigated around various playlists and artists and songs until I selected the next one. It was pretty much what I'd expect (other than it would be very cool to see the album art).

Is it possible that this is something that has been fixed in the newer models rolling out of manufacturing?

I had been kind of hoping it wouldn't work, because it has been kind of nice having my car paid off... Now I have no excuse!
Old 05-22-10, 04:56 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxmark2
I read this thread a few days ago... I'm about ready to upgrade my 2004RX to a 2010 RX450h. I went into the dealer yesterday with my iPhone 3GS, and connected it via the USB cable. It seemed to work just fine, and I didn't see the "autoselect" thing happening on the playlists. When I selected the first song from the iPhone, that song kept playing in the background as I navigated around various playlists and artists and songs until I selected the next one. It was pretty much what I'd expect (other than it would be very cool to see the album art).

Is it possible that this is something that has been fixed in the newer models rolling out of manufacturing?

I had been kind of hoping it wouldn't work, because it has been kind of nice having my car paid off... Now I have no excuse!
That is great to hear. Perhaps this can be a software/firmware upgrade for those of us that this doesn't work as you describe.

It's also great you're getting a new 450!!