Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Air Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-09, 11:19 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Air Suspension?

is the air suspension a hybrid only feature, or does the regular RX350 have this as well? too bad air suspension is not available in canada, i would have gotten it if it was available. btw, who has air suspension here?
Old 08-19-09, 01:28 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

I think it's part of the sport package ("sport tuned suspension") and is available on both the 2010 350 and 450h. I drove the 2010 350 with it. My 04 RX has it but it doesn't dance like the Land Rovers...
Old 08-19-09, 01:49 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by kitlz
I think it's part of the sport package ("sport tuned suspension") and is available on both the 2010 350 and 450h. I drove the 2010 350 with it. My 04 RX has it but it doesn't dance like the Land Rovers...
interesting, sport package is only available for the 350 only (not available for hybrid), up here in canada. man, that sucks!
Old 08-19-09, 03:17 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by Stormforge
interesting, sport package is only available for the 350 only (not available for hybrid), up here in canada. man, that sucks!
At least you have options in your 450h we can only dream about here

I'm waiting to hear from my dealer to see if I can get the sport package. I like the handling better. And by the way, you can't order the luxury and sport packages together so I wouldn't cry so hard
Old 08-19-09, 04:13 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

actually, no 3gen RX in north america has the air suspension. This was an option (I have it) on the 2RX performance package. This has been eliminated for some reason.

as for how it works, I can live without it. Sure, its good that it lowers for easy enter/exit. but the sound it makes while the air suspension rises is really annoying
Old 08-19-09, 04:17 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by RXSF
actually, no 3gen RX in north america has the air suspension. This was an option (I have it) on the 2RX performance package. This has been eliminated for some reason.
So what's the sport-tuned suspension about then? And do you know if VDIM is only available in the sport package?

Last edited by kitlz; 08-19-09 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-19-09, 04:31 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

At least you have options in your 450h we can only dream about here
what options you can't get in the US that we have in canada?

So what's the sport-tuned suspension about then? And do you know if VDIM is only available in the sport package?
yeah, i think RXSF is right, air suspension not available in continental north america (canada & usa), probably a european or asian option.

i think the sport tuned suspension provides a sportier ride? not 100% sure
Old 08-19-09, 04:47 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

VDIM is standard on the 450h. You can't get it without it. It's one of the things that makes the (h) even 'more' attractive.
Old 08-19-09, 05:05 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

what options you can't get in the US that we have in canada?
It was more of a reference to how difficult it is to get the luxury package, for example, which is comparable to what you have. It's either get the standard packages for the area or special order and wait, and wait, and wait

i think the sport tuned suspension provides a sportier ride? not 100% sure
Yeah, it is in my 04 RX. The steering is more responsive. The air suspension works on its own or can be lowered/raised with a touch of a button for certain conditions. And the noise, it does sound like the car is deflating when I take the key out and open the door. I can turn it off if I want. I got the performance package because of the tighter feel and the trans. It has the ability to switch gears like tiptronic in Audis - great in the snow. And it was the only package that included AFS. My RX is probably a bit bumpier than normal since I put the Alenzas on.

RXSF can confirm but supposedly RXs with performance package account for a few percent of all 2nd gen RXs on the road. And it adds quite a few pennies to the trade-in value

Too bad it isn't offered in the 2010

Last edited by kitlz; 08-20-09 at 03:37 AM.
Old 08-19-09, 05:12 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by Cruiter
VDIM is standard on the 450h. You can't get it without it. It's one of the things that makes the (h) even 'more' attractive.
Thanks Jim. It's not clear in the brochure. I saw under the sport package description - Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) with cut-off switch (RX350;standard on RX 450h) - but no mention of it being standard equipment.

I'll take that off my list of questions to my dealer.
Old 08-19-09, 08:34 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

RXSF is right about that... No air suspension so far over here. Sport-tuned isn't the air one.

Well, Lexus N.A. doesn't import all the key options from JDM models and Cambridge plant is unable to produce this type of RX10 either.

Lexus N.A. will add some features into RX11, so they can attract more ppl to buy the almost identical RX next year.

Btw, I remember JDM RX10 has something like Dynamic Chassis Control system (I got this name from Porsche). This system will co-work with VDIM and air suspension, which are optimal road-handling and reduce lateral body movement during cornering.
Old 08-19-09, 11:04 PM
klegrow
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The whole package thing is really confusing and misleading. Depending on where you are....you are limited to certain features. The air suspension would have been nice, but we can't even get the luxury package in New England.
Old 08-20-09, 09:00 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by rxets
Btw, I remember JDM RX10 has something like Dynamic Chassis Control system (I got this name from Porsche). This system will co-work with VDIM and air suspension, which are optimal road-handling and reduce lateral body movement during cornering.
i would so get this option if it was available here! and this is one of the most frustrating things when buying japanese cars, they reserve all the cool stuff for their domestic market.
Old 08-20-09, 09:18 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Yes, the Euro/Asian RX gets the adaptive air suspension which actually counter acts the rolling force, so far also available on the GS and LS in North America.

As for the up and down air suspension, not that many people were interested and it did only account for a few sales. The only reason why I got it was because I liked the darker rims, what lexus calls "graphite" color.

And the noise, it does sound like the car is deflating when I take the key out and open the door.
I like that sound. The whine im referring to is when the car is "inflating." the whine comes from the rear right side of the car and is noticable from in the cabin, and just plain loud if you are outside. Kinda annoying and embarassing.

VDIM is standard on all Lexus and Toyota hybrids (except for the prius and the HS250)
Old 08-20-09, 09:35 AM
klegrow
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RXSF....is that the car equivalent of your car farting in public? LOL

Quick Reply: Air Suspension?