Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.
View Poll Results: Next GSh, what would u like to see?
More Power, more performance marginal gain of economy, 1-2 MPG
80.00%
Like the current GSh, a blend of power and economy, about a 3-5 MPG improvement overall
20.00%
Less Power, less performance, large gain in economy, 7 MPG+, still 0-60 under 7 seconds
0%
I would buy a conventional V-6 or V-8 GS, not a hybrid
0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

4GS h (the next gen) Lets talk 30MPG. Doable? Would that entice you?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-09, 02:57 PM
LexFather

Default 4GS h (the next gen) Lets talk 30MPG. Doable? Would that entice you?

I have never owned such a misunderstood or quirky vehicle before! When people think hybrid, they think economy only. We do get some of that but we also get a lot of performance. People are always shocked when I tell them the performance figures or I take them for a spin (with the battery full).

Saying we get 22-26 MPG avg might not sound fantastic but its better than conventional V-8s and on par with most cars sold today with less performance. I think people hear "hybrid" and expect to hear Prius like numbers immediately.

This thread is about the next GSh and maybe it hitting an EPA rated 30 MPG ranking? How big of a deal would that be? Would performance be sacrificed?

As we are aware (clearly Stormforge is) the RX 450h gets 30 MPG. It now has the same 3.5 engine we have, detuned with hybrid power for 295hp.

Considering its 4500lbs and less aerodynamic, I figure 28 MPG minimum is what the GS would get even if it kept the 340hp rating.

The HS is much smaller, has an I-4 with much less power and gets 35/34. Not a big leap from the RX.

Surely the GS will grow in size. The trunk already has been reshaped for 10 cubes. Is a larger trunk coming?

What are your thoughts for the next model? What would you like to see or not see?
Old 08-19-09, 03:11 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post!

I honestly bought this car because I could get the gas mileage of the 350 with performance that is arguably (lets not get off topic...) better than the 460. To me, as long as the 450h can get mileage that is better than the 350 or 460 with superior performance, I would buy it again.

I would like to see Lexus come out with two versions:
-400h: just a slightly detuned 450h w/exhaust heat recovery to get in the 30+ range.
-500h: basically keep the DI 3.5L, maybe have it produce more like 320 (I've heard that it can be easily tuned by Lexus to around 330). Then add MORE hybrid boost. As of right now, the 450h get something like 48hp from electric. With further development I could see this stat closer to 80-which I would love. Get maybe a few MPG better than current 450h to stay on track with other makers...
Old 08-19-09, 03:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by lucasb7
Great post!

I honestly bought this car because I could get the gas mileage of the 350 with performance that is arguably (lets not get off topic...) better than the 460. To me, as long as the 450h can get mileage that is better than the 350 or 460 with superior performance, I would buy it again.

I would like to see Lexus come out with two versions:
-400h: just a slightly detuned 450h w/exhaust heat recovery to get in the 30+ range.
-500h: basically keep the DI 3.5L, maybe have it produce more like 320 (I've heard that it can be easily tuned by Lexus to around 330). Then add MORE hybrid boost. As of right now, the 450h get something like 48hp from electric. With further development I could see this stat closer to 80-which I would love. Get maybe a few MPG better than current 450h to stay on track with other makers...
Fantastic idea on two versions! That is something we have dicussed in Car Chat....hmmm should I add to the poll?

Then we would have to buy 2 GSs?

Also I think your summary was perfect. A V-8 GS hybrid?
Old 08-19-09, 04:21 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

someone mention my name?

to be honest, when i first went car shopping i wasn't thinking about getting a hybrid. i knew it would be a lexus, and that meant either an IS350 or GS350. test drove both, and was not wowed in any way. test drove the GS450h, and i was blown away by the performance (V8 power in a V6 engine w/ hybrid power). that sealed the deal. the fact that it gets better fuel economy was a plus. i may have opted for the V8 GS460, but there wasn't one available at my dealer.

would i get a 4GS h? in a heartbeat, yes! increased performance and fuel economy, what's not to like?

as for a V8 GS hybrid - totally not out of the question at all. it would only be a matter of time (imho) before this becomes reality.

another performance enhancement (mentioned by lucasb7) is boosting the hybrid potential. bigger battery, higher output electric motor (heck make it 3 motors - the RX450h has 3 (2 in the front, 1 in the rear), why not the 4GS450h?). with such a boost, nothing short of exotic cars will be able to beat a 4GS hybrid. look at the tesla as an example, purely electric and has supercar performance. imagine that in a 4GS with a V8 hybrid with larger battery and 3 large electric motors. potential is there folks! could this be the GS-Fh?

Last edited by Stormforge; 08-19-09 at 04:52 PM.