Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

RX450 Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-10, 11:52 AM
sleepysurf
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sleepysurf
Been looking to replace my 2000 RX300. I spec'd out a special order Matador Red 450H (parchment interior) with the Comfort, Premium, and Sport Packages (didn't want Nav, entertainment, or other bells/whistles), walked into my dealer yesterday, and walked out with a special order at $1000 over invoice. ~12-14 wks for delivery. This will be my "December to Remember!"
Well, looks like my "December to Remember" turned into my "March to Forget". After signing a purchase agreement, putting down a $3k deposit, and 3 months of waiting, my local (Tampa) dealer now says they "couldn't" (more like "wouldn't") place my order. Of course, they offered to deliver a more expensive vehicle with color and options (NAV, others) that I don't want, with a higher profit margin for them, so after 10 yrs as a Lexus owner, it's "Sayonara" for me. I'll write a lengthy letter to Lexus USA describing my dealer experience, and move on to another brand. See ya!
Old 03-27-10, 11:58 AM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

I agree that writing to Lexus' corporate office to let them know of poor dealership experience is a good idea - I've not been impressed with many aspects of a number of local Lexus dealers, and let Corporate know in hopes they will motivate the dealer's management to improve. But, if you're so set on a specifically equipped RX450h, how about just going to another dealer rather than switching brands?
Old 03-27-10, 12:23 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

sleepysurf, sorry to hear about your experience. I would definitely let corporate know. I had an order number and build date from the dealer within two weeks of signing the papers on my 450h. And like YotaCarFan said, check other dealers if you have your heart set on it. There's bound to be one out there with what you want. It's a great vehicle. Good luck.
Old 03-29-10, 05:46 AM
bjones211
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you try Lexus of Clearwater by the Countryside Mall? We picked up a 450h off the lot and were very happy with the whole dealer experience. I would try them before jumping to something else. We are very happy with ours (well when I get to drive it, it's my wife's car) ;-).
Old 03-29-10, 05:48 AM
bjones211
Driver School Candidate

Another thing to consider is the 450h like alot of other newer models put alot of other functionality of the car in the nav screen. I went in not wanting nav either but once we saw all the bells and whistles that we'd be missing went for the nav.
Old 03-29-10, 06:14 AM
sleepysurf
Driver

The Tampa and Clearwater dealerships have the same (AutoNation) management, so I wouldn't expect any difference in their ordering/sales policies. What irks me is that they kept reassuring me that my order had been placed, and I would get the car spec'd as I wanted (Sport Package, no Nav, etc). When I bought my Lexus 10 yrs ago, the dealership would actually pick it up from my workplace (not far from them) and return it. Nowadays, they won't even give you a loaner unless you make an appt far in advance AND the service is expected to take more than 2 hrs. Fact is, my wife gets better service and support (at a much lower price) for her Highlander. I'll probably get a Prius (possibly a Highlander Hybrid) from that dealer, but will also look at the Ford Escape Hybrid.
Old 03-31-10, 06:54 PM
sleepysurf
Driver

Stopped by the dealer today, and they firmly stood by their claim that Lexus just isn't building special-order cars like I wanted (contrary to what a South FL dealer told me). They refunded my deposit, and based upon the "cool" reception I got, I suspect they've been reading this thread <g>. I certainly hope MORE folks will continue sharing their (positive and negative) dealer experiences online. Such communication can only help drive (pun intended) customer service to higher levels.
Old 04-02-10, 02:16 PM
sleepysurf
Driver

Well, lo and behold, my dealer just called and told me they CAN order the 450h for me, spec'd exactly as I wanted (at the agreed upon price), and they will furnish confirmation from Lexus to that fact. That's the kind of dedicated customer service that originally "sold" me on the Lexus brand and local dealership, and they've now retained me as a customer! I expect it will be another 2-3 months for delivery, but that's OK. They were also kind enough to tell me I needn't give them another deposit. Nice touch!

And, if by chance, Niemann, Mark, and Michael (sales manager) are reading this... Thank You and Well Done!

Last edited by sleepysurf; 04-02-10 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-02-10, 05:44 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Well, lo and behold, my dealer just called and told me they CAN order the 450h for me, spec'd exactly as I wanted (at the agreed upon price), and they will furnish confirmation from Lexus to that fact. That's the kind of dedicated customer service that originally "sold" me on the Lexus brand and local dealership, and they've now retained me as a customer! I expect it will be another 2-3 months for delivery, but that's OK. They were also kind enough to tell me I needn't give them another deposit. Nice touch!

And, if by chance, Niemann, Mark, and Michael (sales manager) are reading this... Thank You and Well Done!
Awesome! Glad to hear the dealer stepped up and did the right thing.
Old 04-07-10, 05:38 PM
sleepysurf
Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
Awesome! Glad to hear the dealer stepped up and did the right thing.
Actually, the deal is OFF. Turns out they found a car spec'd pretty close to what I wanted, with $540 (invoice)/$730 (sticker) in additional options that I really didn't want (intuitive parking assist, accessory package), but which I was willing to pay invoice for, but then they added $875 to the (previously agreed upon) price. I don't have time to play these games.
Old 04-07-10, 08:27 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Actually, the deal is OFF. Turns out they found a car spec'd pretty close to what I wanted, with $540 (invoice)/$730 (sticker) in additional options that I really didn't want (intuitive parking assist, accessory package), but which I was willing to pay invoice for, but then they added $875 to the (previously agreed upon) price. I don't have time to play these games.
As the price of oil shoots up and more and more customers show interest in max economy, the dealers may want a little more profit. It's a natural part of the business. All the same, if you had a deal, they should hold to it.
Old 04-10-10, 05:35 PM
sleepysurf
Driver

I was at my Lexus dealer today getting some minor service on my '00 RX300, and my salesman saw me and asked why I punted on the deal. I told him I wasn't willing to pay the additional $875 they tacked on (separate from their "dealer service fee"). He checked with the General Manager, and they agreed to remove that additional charge. After all this rigmarole, looks like I *AM* getting the 450h afterall. Should take delivery in 3-4 weeks. Hopefully this is the end of the saga!

One question though... what exactly does the "Intuitive Parking Assist" do for you, if you DON'T also have the backup camera?
Old 04-10-10, 05:50 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

lol! sleepysurf, are you or arent you getting the car? what's with all the games?

I originally thought that I wouldnt want the IPA because of the backup camera, but then I got a loaner RX350 with both. I noticed that the beeping from the intuitive park assist is quite helpful, especially because you arent paying attention to the backup camera. Plus the frotn sensors are helpful too for parallel parking.

I also read that you arent getting the nav which means if you do get the backup camera, it will be in the rear view. The image I imagine is quite small so there is another reason to get the IPA. I like how the IPA is always on. I was fully stopped in the middle of the road because of traffic and a pedestrian j-walked past the car and it still beeped.

i guess it depends on your needs. to me, $500 dollars on a 50K+ plus makes no difference. We have a saying in chinese. Roughly translated, it says "you already paid for the chicken and its here, you might as well pay for the soy sauce" ah, I love chinese proverbs

edit: as i reread your question, do you mean what do you need the IPA if you dont have the backup camera? You will just get the proximaty beeping. the two are not related. However, I dont know how Lexus implements the system if you dont have the nav screen to show the proximity warnings. If you dont have the camera, you at least should get some sort of parking aid. However, you can also just pay for the rear view mirror backup camera for less than $300 i believe.

if only the front is activated, you get this picture (GS):

if you get the warnings while in reverse (with backup camera) you get (ES):

If you dont have navigation you get it on the Multi Information display (GX):

sorry for the long winded description. I realize its more than you needed but others might find it useful

Last edited by RXSF; 04-10-10 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-10-10, 08:26 PM
sleepysurf
Driver

Thanks RXSF, now I understand what I'll see without NAV or the backup camera! Perhaps it will prove worthwhile.

I originally ordered a (somewhat) bare-bones RX450h, but the order was never placed. After all the "games" my dealer offered me a similarly configured car which they located, which also has the "Intuitive Parking Assist." In the end, we compromised on the additional cost for this option, so for the few extra hundred $$, I agreed to take it.
Old 04-10-10, 08:32 PM
oscqc
Rookie

RXSF:

While the photos of your screens are VERY helpful to make the point of the usefulness of the Intuitive Parking Assist (weird name for something that is not intuitive), it should be noted that Sleepysurf is getting a RX 450h and its dashboard is quite different from that on your RX 330.

Quick Reply: RX450 Pricing