Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

City Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-09, 12:14 PM
MJMeucci
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default City Mileage

I am normally a highway driver but for the last 2 weeks I have been driving almost exclusively in the city. I have been relatively impressed with the highway mileage that I have gotten in my RX (~27.5mpg) but I am surprised that the city mileage is significantly less than what I expected (~20mpg). Having spent a good deal of time in a Prius before the 450h, I am surprised at how little time is spent in full EV mode, when accelerating, even when in the "green zone" I feel like the engine is running a lot.

Anyone else have any input regarding their city mileage?
Old 09-13-09, 12:33 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MJMeucci
I am normally a highway driver but for the last 2 weeks I have been driving almost exclusively in the city. I have been relatively impressed with the highway mileage that I have gotten in my RX (~27.5mpg) but I am surprised that the city mileage is significantly less than what I expected (~20mpg). Having spent a good deal of time in a Prius before the 450h, I am surprised at how little time is spent in full EV mode, when accelerating, even when in the "green zone" I feel like the engine is running a lot.

Anyone else have any input regarding their city mileage?
It will mostly depend on conditions where you drive and how hard you accelerate. Where I live there are a lot of hills and frequent stop lights with traffic, mostly within 1/4 to 1/2 mile of each other. I've had to temper my past driving habits of 'feeling the power'. Even so I'm able to get about 29 mpg avg in the city here tho I could easily drive it where I'd probably get only 25 or so. Hwy for me is about 30 but I'm staying in the 65-70 mph range. Those 297 ponies available in the (h) do feel good but are costly against the best gas mileage possible. I'm usually out of the green eco from about 20mph until I'm up to speed then use the gas as little as possible and anticipate the stops and start coasting. But I paid xtra for the hybrid for economy so learning a new style of driving here.

Coming up on 4000 miles and loving every one of them. Good luck with yours. Good choice
Old 09-13-09, 03:23 PM
tnb1
Rookie

Getting 28 mpg with mostly city driving, A/C running continuously, 91 octane with no ethanol and eco mode. With the cooler weather recently while the A/C off am getting 32 mpg. Keeping the tach in the green as much as possible.

I suspect ethanol blends will reduce mpg. Frequent acceleration outside the green will also decrease mpg. I'm learning the coasting thing, it seems to really improve mpg.

Below 25mph it will run on battery only. At 40mph have found that if I take my foot off the accelerator coast then return a light foot it will also run on battery.

2284 miles on the odometer on my AWD.

Terry
Old 09-13-09, 08:49 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

We are still getting 26-30 depending on who is driving--
Old 09-13-09, 10:35 PM
MJMeucci
Driver

Interesting- thanks for the input guys, I live in Boston so its mostly flat around my parts. I also keep it in Eco Mode and fill it up with 91 (with 10% ethanol) so most of the variables seem the same. What I can't seem to figure out is when the engine kicks in, the electric motors don't seem nearly powerful enough to accelerate the car on their own, especially not up to 25mph unless I want to spend 60 seconds doing so, for me the gas engine seems to kick in somewhere around the upper 1/4 of the first part of the green zone which is generally around 10mph. I guess it is just a change of driving style that is necessary, unfortunately that is going to get me honked at a lot, especially in Boston. Don't get me wrong, I love the car to death and the mileage is still significantly better than my '07 RX so I couldn't be happier.
Old 09-14-09, 02:48 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Interesting- thanks for the input guys, I live in Boston so its mostly flat around my parts. I also keep it in Eco Mode and fill it up with 91 (with 10% ethanol) so most of the variables seem the same. What I can't seem to figure out is when the engine kicks in, the electric motors don't seem nearly powerful enough to accelerate the car on their own, especially not up to 25mph unless I want to spend 60 seconds doing so, for me the gas engine seems to kick in somewhere around the upper 1/4 of the first part of the green zone which is generally around 10mph. I guess it is just a change of driving style that is necessary, unfortunately that is going to get me honked at a lot, especially in Boston. Don't get me wrong, I love the car to death and the mileage is still significantly better than my '07 RX so I couldn't be happier.
In normal driving (where you will need to accelerate with traffic) the car will run using both gas and electric power. If you watch the display, at times the electric motor will be feeding power to the wheels (for additional acceleration) with the gas engine, and at times it will be charging the traction batteries.

There is a midway point in the green zone. If you accelerate very mildly as you might in a parking garage situation up to that midway point and watch the display, you 'can' do it on electric power alone up to about 40mph for a mile or so before the engine will have to cut on to charge the batteries again. You will be able to watch them discharge pretty rapidly as they are providing all the power.

Best use of the Hybrid system is modifying your driving style for less acceleration, more 'steady' driving at moderate speeds, and more coasting or easing up to full stops rather than charging up and hitting the breaks. It's a change of style but if you do this you'll find you can still keep up with the traffic and really enjoy the increased economy.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-14-09, 08:22 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a feeling that your car may need to be checked out at your dealer. 20 mpg sounds extremely low even if you drive like a "maniac". It does not seem right to me. You should be getting a minimum of 25 mpg if you drive aggressively in the city. If you observe the rules of driving a hybrid for best fuel economy, you should be getting close to 29 mpg in the city. I am of the opinion that the type of fuel one uses makes very little difference on the fuel efficiency. I have tried both 89 octane with 10% ethanol and 91 octane (premium in my state) and I have not detected any appreciable difference. Certainly the AC makes a difference, especially on very hot days. BTW, I believe I posted this before when we first got our RX450h AWD that on a 30 mile test drive in the city, I got about 46mpg. It was one continuous trip (power was never turned off) and without the AC. I did have to stop on numerous traffic lights.

Basically, what I am saying here is that you should be getting closer to 29-30 in the city without too much effort. On the highway, going at about 65-70, you should get about 30-31 mpg with the AC on. BTW, I use to live in Brockton, MA "many moons ago". Whenever I now visit my brother and sister in the Boston area, I go nuts with the horrible traffic situation.

Are you a Red Sox and Patriot fan? The Sox are now looking very good to make the playoffs (that's all the counts since we have 3 great pitchers now in Lester, Becket, and Bucholtz). And with Brady back, I am looking for great things from the Pats this season. It will be fun watching the opener with the Bills tonight. As long as Brady stays healthy, I am looking for the Pats to return to the Super Bowl this season and win it all.

Last edited by PatsSoxfan; 09-14-09 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-14-09, 11:39 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Pat
You posted (Certainly the AC makes a difference, especially on very hot days). I'm of the impression the A/C shouldn't have any effect at all on mileage as it's entirely electric with no belt from the engine turning it. Is there another reason you think it might effect the mileage?
Old 09-14-09, 12:51 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Pat
You posted (Certainly the AC makes a difference, especially on very hot days). I'm of the impression the A/C shouldn't have any effect at all on mileage as it's entirely electric with no belt from the engine turning it. Is there another reason you think it might effect the mileage?

Hi Jim! No I don't have another reason. You might be right. I just assumed that it makes a difference. I can tell you that on our previous generation RX400h, it definitely made a difference on hot days. This has been a cool summer, but we still had a few hot days. And, I guess I have not seen much difference on the gas mileage now that I think about it. So, you might be on to something here. I wish someone that knows for sure one way or the other would chime in on this topic.
Old 09-14-09, 01:38 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
Hi Jim! No I don't have another reason. You might be right. I just assumed that it makes a difference. I can tell you that on our previous generation RX400h, it definitely made a difference on hot days. This has been a cool summer, but we still had a few hot days. And, I guess I have not seen much difference on the gas mileage now that I think about it. So, you might be on to something here. I wish someone that knows for sure one way or the other would chime in on this topic.
Pat
Look under the hood (peak around the panels), the A/C draws 0 energy from the engine. The only way it could decrease fuel economy is if you sat parked with it on for such long periods of time the gas engine had to start to charge the batteries, and I guess the A/C could deplete them in that sense a little quicker. But otherwise, it's powered totally by kilowatts. If you check your manual, there is not even a schedule to change a belt because there isn't one. The valves are turned by an internal chain and no adjustment there is ever needed. That accounts for some of the additional noise that can be heard when it starts up cold (if you just happen to have your head under the hood), the chain needs to warm up a tad to quite down.
Old 09-14-09, 02:33 PM
tnb1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Pat
Look under the hood (peak around the panels), the A/C draws 0 energy from the engine. The only way it could decrease fuel economy is if you sat parked with it on for such long periods of time the gas engine had to start to charge the batteries, and I guess the A/C could deplete them in that sense a little quicker. But otherwise, it's powered totally by kilowatts. If you check your manual, there is not even a schedule to change a belt because there isn't one. The valves are turned by an internal chain and no adjustment there is ever needed. That accounts for some of the additional noise that can be heard when it starts up cold (if you just happen to have your head under the hood), the chain needs to warm up a tad to quite down.
I have seen a difference in mileage with A/C running all the time in 90-100 degree weather and cooler weather with no A/C. I suspect it has to do with increased running of the engine to keep the battery charged. It takes alot of energy from the battery to run the compressor.
Terry
Old 09-14-09, 03:32 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

So does that mean you'll get phenomenal mileage in the winter

Honestly I am curious to see what happens because when it snows and I'm doing the crawl up/down hills and around stuck vehicles, I won't be going above 30 MPH.
Old 09-14-09, 03:56 PM
jrobe
Pit Crew

Received 135 Likes on 76 Posts

"Look under the hood (peak around the panels), the A/C draws 0 energy from the engine. "

Wow, Lexus has done the impossible. They have figured out to refrigerate air with absolutely no energy. I wonder if they could figure out how to cool my house with no energy cost.

Of course using AC will reduce your mileage at least some. Even if the AC only runs off the batteries, if you use the batteries to cool air, there is less available to run the car. There is no free lunch.
Old 09-14-09, 04:30 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Default Yep

Originally Posted by jrobe
"Look under the hood (peak around the panels), the A/C draws 0 energy from the engine. "

Wow, Lexus has done the impossible. They have figured out to refrigerate air with absolutely no energy. I wonder if they could figure out how to cool my house with no energy cost.

Of course using AC will reduce your mileage at least some. Even if the AC only runs off the batteries, if you use the batteries to cool air, there is less available to run the car. There is no free lunch.
But the start up will cost you another Lexus probably.

Solar Panels
Old 09-19-09, 08:03 AM
art123
Driver School Candidate

I drive like a maniac and average 24.5 to 25.5 mpg.

Quick Reply: City Mileage