Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

PR: Lexus Debuts Revised LS 600h L Hybrid With New Telematics Systems for 2010

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-09, 10:39 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe with time the front might grow on me. At the moment, the combination of the the sloped hood, the grille, and the bumper hints slightly of a camry.
Old 10-29-09, 01:50 PM
chauss
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks too simular to a Ford Taurus from front 3/4 view....
Old 10-29-09, 02:28 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I guess I have mixed feelings about the new front end. I like the new headlights, and I like *and* hate the bumper at the same time, if that makes sense . The grille does not bother me, and at least it's more differentiation from the regular LS.

I never much liked the previous front bumper, and in some ways I like this new one more but I also hate it in other ways. The old bumper instead of growing on me lost it's appeal. Makes the car look too old and dated. This new bumper doesn't do much to improve the situation.

Interior looks very good though, they updated the steering wheel design a bit too.

Originally Posted by chauss
Looks too simular to a Ford Taurus from front 3/4 view....
It's a shame some people associate Ford with this grille design, when in-fact Lexus was the first to have such a grille design.
Old 10-29-09, 03:18 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh man ... that grille looks UGLY
Old 10-29-09, 04:51 PM
Nospinzone

Received 416 Likes on 322 Posts

The available Advanced Pre-Collision System (APCS) was the world's first system designed to help detect pedestrians in the vehicle's path when it debuted on the 2009 Pebble Beach® Edition LS 600h L. This system is now available for the 2010 LS 600h L (and the LS 460 models) with Lane Keep Assist. Using two small cameras mounted at the front of the car that work in conjunction with millimeter-wave radar, APCS is sensitive enough to detect certain nonmetallic objects.

As part of APCS, the LS also offers the Driver Monitor System, which was another world first. A third camera, mounted on the steering column, monitors the orientation of the driver's face.

If the camera detects that it appears the driver is not looking directly ahead for a few seconds or more, and if an obstacle is detected ahead, then it alerts the driver, first with a warning chime and a flashing light. As the car gets closer to the obstacle, APCS can begin to gently apply the brakes on its own.

That all sounds good, and I'm sure it is good, but in practice that can be a royal pain in the a$$.
Old 10-29-09, 08:26 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DrComputer
Yes, a very ugly new front grill. I also like how they say that the Advanced Pre-Collision System is somehow "new". I have it on my 2008 Launch Edition LS600hL that is now two years old.
I also have APS on my 2008. They really did a bad job with the grill. The butterfly head rests are not what I expected. I was expecting flip out sides to hold your head in place if you were to want to sleep. I would have liked to see some pictures of the blue tint tail lights. About the only thing I see that I like so far is the USB connectivity.
Old 10-29-09, 10:45 PM
guy2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i dont understand how they said this is new and i quote.... As part of APCS, the LS also offers the Driver Monitor System, which was another world first. A third camera, mounted on the steering column, monitors the orientation of the driver's face "If the camera detects that it appears the driver is not looking directly ahead for a few seconds or more, and if an obstacle is detected ahead, then it alerts the driver, first with a warning chime and a flashing light. As the car gets closer to the obstacle, APCS can begin to gently apply the brakes on its own"... when i was at Cherry Hill Lexus in Cherry Hill New Jersey about 6 months ago i saw this feature on a LS600H pebble beach addition,i asked the sales guy how they get that on this one and that i thought it was on the eurpoean version only and he really didnt have answer it also had illuminated door sills,i remember this well because i thought i had the mack daddy because i just got the LS460L Executive with every opts i could get,price tag on the LS600H was $122,000 but it did not have exe. seating so i left not feeling too bad LOL!!

Last edited by guy2k; 10-30-09 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-30-09, 12:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

before the 2010 600hl, the only 600hl with APCS was the 2008 600hl launch and pebble beach edition i believe. the "normal" 600hl doesn't have the APCS

not trying to give lexus any excuse though, i don't see this being anything new neither
Old 10-30-09, 05:05 AM
ikey78
Driver

They are not saying that APCS is new for this year, rather that it was a world first when introduced by Lexus. I believe it was available in Europe on the 2007 LS models and in the US for the Pebble Beach LS 600hl versions.

This goes along with the marketing strategy seen in the turntable TV ads that show all the innovations that came from the LS over the years such as the 8 speed transmission and Advanced Parking Guidance.
Old 12-17-09, 07:26 AM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DrComputer
Yes, a very ugly new front grill. I also like how they say that the Advanced Pre-Collision System is somehow "new". I have it on my 2008 Launch Edition LS600hL that is now two years old.
It is new since the Advanced version can detect objects at less than 15mph, yours only works after 25mph, which is also the lowest setting for the radar cruise control.