Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

RX450H owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-09, 08:35 AM
bulldogs3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 rx 450h - filling gas tank

First time posting. We have had the 2010 RX450h since Oct. 24, 2009. We have tried putting gas in it and the pumps keep shutting down and we cannot fill the tank. We have gone to different gas stations thinking it was a problem with the pumps but without fail it happens no matter where we go. Has anybody else had a problem?
Old 11-22-09, 10:34 PM
HowardOR
Driver School Candidate

I ordered a Black sapphire with parchment leather 450h on July 27th and took delivery on November 14th. My car has every option available save the rear seat entertainment and remote start. Since I thoroughly enjoy good music while I drive, the Mark Levinson audio system was worth the extra cost. I use the radar cruise as well as the side & back-up camera systems frequently. All in all, the premium price you pay for adding these options depends on the value you think they hold for you. If McDonald’s is okay then why pay for Arnaud’s of New Orleans?

I am a bit puzzled by what psu77 said. “…and I was only draining the battery purposely going 35 mph on two lane roads.” How do you purposely drain the battery? I found little if any control over battery use since that is a function of the car itself other than the driver engaging the EV mode at less than 25mph. Thus far with 680 miles on the ODO, I’m averaging 29 mpg in mixed hilly, freeway and city driving. This is the quietest car I’ve ever driven. Pictures soon. With regard to fueling the car, if your statement is not a joke, call the salesman who sold it to you,

Howard
Old 11-23-09, 08:56 AM
bulldogs3
Driver School Candidate

Default fueling rx450h

This is not a joke and I would appreciate any and all advice I can get. I have placed a call to my salesman and await his return call. Thanks for suggestion.
Old 11-23-09, 10:03 AM
psu77
Rookie

HowardOR, since I own a Prius I have become an expert on running on battery only on a Hybrid. On the Rx450h, you must make sure the car is warm (about 5 minutes after start up or longer if it is below freezing). Set your display so it shows the instant MPG. Then if you are driving under about 47 MPH, you release the gas pedal and the MPG display should zoom up to 100 MPG. Now pretend there is an egg between your foot and the pedal and only give it enough gas to keep the speed constant. Now watch the display to show Power or Eco Driving, if you go past the line in the middle of the Eco range, the engine will turn on. Try to keep it below that middle line.

I know it is a PIA to do it, but I was only playing around to see how high I could get my MPG. On a 17 mile trip to work (mixed highway and city) I can average 40 mpg using this method. But as I said I don't recommend it for everyone and it normally works very well on long stretches of highway with speed limits under 45 mph.

Last edited by psu77; 11-24-09 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-23-09, 10:15 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by psu77
HowardOR, since I own a Prius I have become an expert on running on battery only on a Hybrid. On the Rx450h, you must make sure the car is warm (about 5 minutes after start up or longer if it is below freezing). Set your display so it shows the instant MPG. Then if you are driving under about 47 MPH, you release the gas pedal and the MPG display should zoom up to 100 MPG. Now pretend there is an egg between your foot and the pedal and only give it enough gas to keep the speed constant. Now switch the display to show Power or Eco Driving, if you go past the line in the middle of the Eco range, the engine will turn on. Try to keep it below that middle line.

I know it is a PIA to do it, but I was only playing around to see how high I could get my MPG. On a 17 mile trip to work (mixed highway and city) I can average 40 mpg using this method. But as I said I don't recommend it for everyone and it normally works very well on long stretches of highway with speed limits under 45 mph.
PSU
RE: Expert, and sorry for Off Topic humor

Of course I'm an EXPERT!
X is an unknown quantity,
Spurt is a drip under pressure
Old 11-23-09, 11:58 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by bulldogs3
This is not a joke and I would appreciate any and all advice I can get. I have placed a call to my salesman and await his return call. Thanks for suggestion.
bulldogs3, can I suggest posting a separate thread? Your question is buried in this one and won't be seen by people that might be able to help you. I wish you luck in getting a resolution to your problem.
Old 11-23-09, 12:26 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by psu77
HowardOR, since I own a Prius I have become an expert on running on battery only on a Hybrid. On the Rx450h, you must make sure the car is warm (about 5 minutes after start up or longer if it is below freezing). Set your display so it shows the instant MPG. Then if you are driving under about 47 MPH, you release the gas pedal and the MPG display should zoom up to 100 MPG. Now pretend there is an egg between your foot and the pedal and only give it enough gas to keep the speed constant. Now switch the display to show Power or Eco Driving, if you go past the line in the middle of the Eco range, the engine will turn on. Try to keep it below that middle line.

I drove for about 28 miles (city driving) pretty much using this method shortly after our RX450h arrived and I was able to get about 45 mpg. There were plenty of traffic lights. I did not have the AC on. Most of the time, I was driving at between 25 and 45 mph.
Old 11-23-09, 08:33 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

we still have a problem with MPG depending on who is driving--my wife gets less than 25 and I get close to 30--so how can I successfully tell my wife she keeps jabbing at gas pedal and rushes up to stoplites or traffic?

right now discussing MPG is a taboo subject in the car.
Old 11-24-09, 05:47 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hal, you are fighting a losing battle. She will have to come to this realization herself. The more you talk about it, the more ticked off she will get. My wife is very similar to yours in this regard. Maybe they will see the light one of these days.
Old 11-24-09, 10:01 AM
bulldogs3
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your suggestion. I will try posting a new thread.
Old 11-24-09, 01:52 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Bulldog, I remember reading articles about a new rule for gas stations to change to more eco friendly pumps that reduce the amount of evaporation when fueling. The problem is that some cars do experience that constant clicking and stopping.

Try going to other stations, or one trick is to not have the lever set to the fastest filling. If you notice the clip to hold the lever down, there are two settings, fast and slow. Try the slow method and it should help.
Old 11-24-09, 06:17 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Bulldog, I remember reading articles about a new rule for gas stations to change to more eco friendly pumps that reduce the amount of evaporation when fueling. The problem is that some cars do experience that constant clicking and stopping.

Try going to other stations, or one trick is to not have the lever set to the fastest filling. If you notice the clip to hold the lever down, there are two settings, fast and slow. Try the slow method and it should help.
RXSF, interesting. I have to point out Bulldog and I are both in NJ. We can't pump our own gas - insurance reasons. I'd sooner call Lexus and have the car towed to the dealer to deal with it.
Old 11-26-09, 07:34 AM
Fogcutter
Driver

Originally Posted by bulldogs3

Bulldogs,

I had the same kind of problem with a MB SLK (no trouble with our RX). Turns out I was putting the nozzle into the fill tube so that the gas flow was hitting the side of the fill tube at enough of an angle to trigger the shutoff.

After several tries and enough thoughtful cursing I found a nozzle placement that worked.

So in my case at least it was operator error. Once I figured it out I never had the problem again.

The problem was it seemed like I was doing it right from the start.

Oh well, live and learn.
Old 11-26-09, 07:53 AM
Fogcutter
Driver

Originally Posted by Cruiter
All cars lose mileage at speeds over 65. No matter how sleek, the air is still gonna push back on it. Just physics.

My 450h gets over 30 at 65.
How many miles do you have on your 450? I'm at about 1500 and at 70 with the cruise set I'm only getting 27-28 mpg. With past cars the mileage improves as things loosen up around 5K miles.

thanks
Old 11-26-09, 07:47 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Fogcutter
How many miles do you have on your 450? I'm at about 1500 and at 70 with the cruise set I'm only getting 27-28 mpg. With past cars the mileage improves as things loosen up around 5K miles.

thanks
I have about 5600 now. My mileage has dropped just a tad but it's trade off from my driving style. As I posted previously, higher speeds or (more my case) rapid acceleration are gonna get in the way of the best possible fuel economy. I'm trying to hold the line a little and getting an overall constant average now of 29 which isn't bad at all considering the way I drive it and the hilly conditions with constant traffic lights. Just remember there are no constants between two different drivers on two different routes so different MPG's should be expected.

My service dept relayed info from a Factory rep that 89 octane is definitely OK in regions where the octane ratings are 87, 89, and 93 which is the case here. I've been burning the 87 for nearly 1000 miles consistently now and I can't tell a difference in performance or mileage.

Quick Reply: RX450H owners