Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Towing

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-09, 09:21 AM
HowardOR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing

Each year I take my jet boat out of an attached boat garage at the lake and put it in the water. The boat stays on a lift during the summer and then back in the garage for the winter. The issue is: the in and out up the very steep ramp. My ’03 MDX was just barely able back the trailer and boat up the incline from the lake. In fact, I have to make sure the tank is almost empty and the accelerator floored while in reverse. The transmission would overheat if I didn’t make it on the first try. No problem towing the 3000 lb boat and trailer on level roads. The dealer stated that the 450h has greater torque and hp than the MDX. However, the strain and wear on the engine/transmission for just that short distance cannot be understated. The first time I took the boat out of the garage the car's front tires were inches from the water in order for the back of the boat trailer to clear the garage. (The drive down to the lake from the front of the house is parallel to the boat garage; a straight shot down the boat ramp requires the trailer back tires to be lifted onto a pair of clever Sears dollies and pushed sideways onto the ramp) I didn’t know what I would do if the car failed to back up the steep drive on the side of the garage to turn the boat around and back down for launch. Would I be safer simply renting a 4x4 truck for this task twice a year? BTW I have a hoist inside the boat garage, but using it is a bit precarious because of the angle and height. Does anyone have experience towing with the 450h?