Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Rx400h braking problems.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-10, 07:04 AM
jrobe
Pit Crew

Received 134 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Rx400h braking problems.

My 2008 Rx400h has always had the well described "braking surge" problem on occasion. I notice it on slow speed braking, typically at an intersection. I will be pressing down on the brake pedal and then suddenly will feel like I am losing braking capacity. The immediate responce to to hit the brake harder and the vehicle always then slows down properly. I don't think the car actually surges forward much but it probably would if you didn't respond quickly. I am not the only one. There are several threads on the internet describing this.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...-breaking.html

This has always been written off as normal "hybrid braking." Now with the Prius braking problems, I wonder if we are next in line for a repair???

Last edited by jrobe; 02-05-10 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-05-10, 04:32 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the problem you're describing (different from the Prius description) a couple years ago and brought it to the dealer. They were able to fix it with no problem.
Old 02-10-10, 03:19 PM
ALM54
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had the same problem,

and reported it to two different dealerships who claimed they never heard of the problem. I felt they were suggesting I imagined it and I am still driving with the problem. While not a serious safety issue since the brakes do apply eventually it's not something that should happen.

It goes off lease soon and am seriously considering the MB M class even though I loved my RX.
Old 02-10-10, 05:45 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

I notice you're from NJ. Which dealers did you go to? Mine was fixed at Warnock Lexus. They are great about things like this.
Old 02-13-10, 09:38 AM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not been able to duplicate the problem but it's only happen to me twice since I've owned the car. First time I was pulling into the Autozone I put my foot on the brake as I pulled into the parking space pressed the brake pedal to stop there was a delay and I ended up pressing the brake harder to stop which came to a abrupt halt. I panicked because I thought something went wrong but I haven't been able to duplicate the problem since. Second time I was trying to stop and to turn into to a parking lot. The brakes already have no "feel" to them but I ended up running right up to the parking entrance still going about 35mph and set off the ABS when I realized I still had too much speed and I couldn't tell if I was braking hard or not, strange. Then I hear about the Prius braking problems about 6 months later. No point in going to the dealer for it because it's only happen twice the second time maybe I'm just not used to the electric brakes since I don't drive it too often.
Old 02-13-10, 01:29 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 147 Posts

i agree you gotta get used to the Hybrid brakes.. it's not as "effective" as a traditional brake... cant win them all..
Old 02-16-10, 01:26 PM
ALM54
Driver School Candidate

In reply to RexLexBlue

It had been to both Lexus of Bridgewater and Lawrenceville Lexus.

Last edited by ALM54; 02-16-10 at 01:34 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-21-10, 08:06 PM
raj56389
Driver School Candidate

i have noticed it too in my RX. I think the lack of braking response will cause problems in close quarters with another vehicle but as long as you have a reasonable distance between vehicles it should be okay. its not as predictable but occours fairly commonly to be worthy of notice
Old 03-06-10, 08:22 PM
06WTRX400H
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexRexBlue
I had the problem you're describing (different from the Prius description) a couple years ago and brought it to the dealer. They were able to fix it with no problem.
I have noticed it too. Do you know what the fix was? Maybe I will ask the dealer since its still under warranty. my wife has never had it happen but I have more than a few times.. I just expect it now...

I think its something with the CVT trans, its going into nuetral while braking.
Old 03-07-10, 08:03 AM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 06WTRX400H
I have noticed it too. Do you know what the fix was? Maybe I will ask the dealer since its still under warranty. my wife has never had it happen but I have more than a few times.. I just expect it now...

I think its something with the CVT trans, its going into nuetral while braking.
Sorry. I'm sure they have a record of it. If I check service history online it is too brief.
Old 04-28-11, 08:46 PM
Sunapollo
Rookie

I have the exact same problem ... I stepped on brake and the car choked while braking ... is that a problem ? or normal behaviour ?
Old 04-29-11, 01:53 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

I had the new regular RX 350 as a loaner and I loved it. It also didn't skid over wet manholes when you braked. I test drove the new 450h to make sure I was making the right decision. I traded in my 400h in August. In light of the past winter with the never ending snow I was very happy with my decision. Of course now the price of gas has skyrocketed, but I don't drive that many miles.

Last edited by LexRexBlue; 04-29-11 at 01:54 PM. Reason: didn't proofread
Old 12-10-17, 01:51 AM
Jmitch63
Driver School Candidate

Default Brake problem rx400h

Originally Posted by jrobe
My 2008 Rx400h has always had the well described "braking surge" problem on occasion. I notice it on slow speed braking, typically at an intersection. I will be pressing down on the brake pedal and then suddenly will feel like I am losing braking capacity. The immediate responce to to hit the brake harder and the vehicle always then slows down properly. I don't think the car actually surges forward much but it probably would if you didn't respond quickly. I am not the only one. There are several threads on the internet describing this.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...-breaking.html

This has always been written off as normal "hybrid braking." Now with the Prius braking problems, I wonder if we are next in line for a repair???
I only have my rx400h for 2 months now and have noticed the loss in braking powder when slowing down. My theory is that the car changes from engine to battery at this point hence a difference in power being given to the brakes (does this make since)?

Last edited by Jmitch63; 12-10-17 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 12-27-17, 06:37 AM
lascarmirc
Driver School Candidate

Know somebody where are interior light fuses located? Thanks
Old 12-27-17, 06:53 AM
lascarmirc
Driver School Candidate

rx400h Interior light fuse location? plsss