Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

10 mpg drop after move a year ago!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-10, 03:42 PM
iambrink
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 mpg drop after move a year ago!

I bought my hybrid in NH almost 3 years ago and was getting about 24-26 mpg while living there. i moved to newfoundland, Canada last year and now i am getting about 14-18 mpg. any suggestions? i can't blame it on the weather because it was colder and hotter in NH, so AC and heat was used more frequently. There are many hills in the city i live. could that be enough to have such a drop? central NH is pretty hilly as well! anyone have a similar drop after a move? is there anything from an engine perspective i should be considering?

thanks
Old 02-05-10, 08:01 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What year is your 400h? If it is a 2006, have you ever replaced the 12 volt battery?
Old 02-06-10, 04:35 AM
iambrink
Driver School Candidate

it is a 2006. we have not replaced it.
Old 02-06-10, 05:03 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If your 12 volt battery has ever been run below 7 volts or been disconnected (I forgot to ask if you've ever disconnected it) or replaced you may need to do the ISC learning procedure. You may want to do this anyway just for peace of mind. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, the dealer can hook it up to their computer but it will cost you.

As per the Lexus TSB -

"It is important to perform the ISC Learning procedure anytime the 12–volt battery is
disconnected or the voltage falls below 7 volts. This procedure allows the I.C. (internal
combustion) Engine to re–learn its optimal idle speed during the initial engine warm–up
cycle or charging the HV battery. If this procedure is NOT performed, the following
customer complaints may occur:
 Engine runs too long or more frequently than normal
 Reduced fuel economy
 Transmission gear “clatter” noise at idle is more pronounced"

Many who have done this procedure have experienced increased gas mileage (myself included).

Check here -

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...30&hl=learning

Last edited by rcy; 02-06-10 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-06-10, 08:06 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Are your tires properly inflated? Is your air filter dirty? Did you move to an elevation that is significantly higher?
Old 02-07-10, 04:22 AM
iambrink
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rcy
If your 12 volt battery has ever been run below 7 volts or been disconnected (I forgot to ask if you've ever disconnected it) or replaced you may need to do the ISC learning procedure. You may want to do this anyway just for peace of mind. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, the dealer can hook it up to their computer but it will cost you.

As per the Lexus TSB -

"It is important to perform the ISC Learning procedure anytime the 12–volt battery is
disconnected or the voltage falls below 7 volts. This procedure allows the I.C. (internal
combustion) Engine to re–learn its optimal idle speed during the initial engine warm–up
cycle or charging the HV battery. If this procedure is NOT performed, the following
customer complaints may occur:
 Engine runs too long or more frequently than normal
 Reduced fuel economy
 Transmission gear “clatter” noise at idle is more pronounced"

Many who have done this procedure have experienced increased gas mileage (myself included).

Check here -

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...30&hl=learning
Thanks. I don't think we have ever disconnected it, but i will have my husband look into this procedure. We don't have a lexus dealer here and have not have positive expereineces at the Toyota dealer!
Old 02-07-10, 04:26 AM
iambrink
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Are your tires properly inflated? Is your air filter dirty? Did you move to an elevation that is significantly higher?
I will look into each of these just to make sure! Never thought of the elevation. I thnk we are probably higher than in NH. Not sure how this affects the mileage. Thanks for the suggestions.