Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Automatic tailgate - a disaster for low ceiling height garages

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-10, 03:20 PM
runscissor
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Automatic tailgate - a disaster for low ceiling height garages

I recently purchased a new 2006 RX400H and am disappointed with the automatic tailgate. Here is my problem... I park my RX400H in a parking structure where the ceiling height is restricted to 6'6" in many locations (to accommodate pipes, horizontal pillars, etc). The automatic lift is activated once you press the release hatch button on the tailgate (or the PWR DOOR button on the key)... and the gate must be completely opened or it will reverse itself and start closing automatically. Obviously, you can see how this is a problem because the gate will smash itself into the concrete support pillar above. Trying to stop it before it hits will simply force the gate completely shut

I was aware of the button behind the glove compartment door but this completely disengages the auto lift feature altogether. I brought it into the dealer hoping there was a way to disengage the automatic feature on the tailgate release hatch button (but still keep the auto functionality of the remote key). Unfortunately, it is all or nothing. Either the automatic lift feature is engaged or it is not.

I was surprised to not find any complaints about this on the Lexus forums (or perhaps I didn't look hard enough?). Because ANYONE with a home or office that has a parking stall with a low ceiling height obstruction would be UNABLE to use the automatic feature or be forced to turn on and off the auto lift button behind the glove compartment door almost daily.

Does anyone know of a way to override the auto open button on the hatch itself (maybe a wiring hack?)? This way I could still use the key's PWR DOOR button but open the tailgate manually when I prefer to. The other side benefit is that I can open the door much faster. It's VERY annoying to have to wait for the slow opening gate to auto open when you are standing right in front of it. Trying to speed it up (when in a rush) simply reverses it and closes it shut.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Last edited by runscissor; 02-15-10 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-15-10, 04:32 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you saying that when you try to open the hatch using the exterior handle, it POWERS open? If so, it can be disabled, and you need to find a Lexus dealer that knows what the hell they're doing. My does not power open when I use the exterior handle, but I can make it do so...

See here

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...=post&id=12983

specifically #14. You can print it out and take it back to the mumblies that work at the dealership. It has to be done by hooking up the special Lexus computer that allows the specialized settings to be set. Some options (like all the doors locking when you move from P to D) are user selectable, but the hatch settings are not.

Last edited by rcy; 02-15-10 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-15-10, 06:05 PM
runscissor
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the response. However, the link does not work, even when I'm logged in to the Lexus Owner's Club Forum.
Old 02-15-10, 07:52 PM
BobBass
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I know this isn't any help to you for this issue, but the new Cadillac SUV's - CTS and SRX - have TWO selectable opening settings; one is full open and WAY up there, and the other keeps the hatch fairly low but still plenty of room to get stuff in the vehicle. Wonder how long it will take Lexus to add this feature.

BTW, my '08 400h hatch, when opened manually, can be gently raised w/o any power assist.
Old 02-15-10, 07:56 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

OK...works for me, though.

Try this

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=58929

Way at the bottom I've posted a .pdf under 'Dealer Selectable Options' It's in there. Or, what they heck..I'll just post it here.

Last edited by rcy; 02-15-10 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-15-10, 07:59 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BobBass
I know this isn't any help to you for this issue, but the new Cadillac SUV's - CTS and SRX - have TWO selectable opening settings; one is full open and WAY up there, and the other keeps the hatch fairly low but still plenty of room to get stuff in the vehicle. Wonder how long it will take Lexus to add this feature.

BTW, my '08 400h hatch, when opened manually, can be gently raised w/o any power assist.
Not just the Caddy's. The Chevy Equinox has this feature, too. If Chevy has it, Lexus should as well.
Old 02-16-10, 01:49 AM
runscissor
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, rcy. This is helpful. Oddly enough, I couldn't open the PDF file link but I printed the one you attached directly to your post. I'll take it to the dealer tomorrow and see what they say. Unfortunately we only have one dealer on this island so if they don't know how to do it I'm screwed.
Old 02-16-10, 06:12 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

You push them to do it. If they can't figure it out, I'm sure they can call Lexus USA corporate for help (or you can call to complain). Only thing is, you'll probably be charged for this, since it involves labour (i.e. hooking up the computer and changing a few settings - probably charge an hour labour or something ridiculous).

Since they are going to be in the settings and you're going to be paying anyway, you should get them to change any of the other settings to what you want.
Old 02-16-10, 11:26 AM
runscissor
Driver School Candidate

I talked to four different personnel at Lexus that day - two of them techs. They all said that there is nothing I can do about it despite one salesman saying he has never seen the tailgate auto open by pulling the rear hatch release. I spent over two hours researching on the web, finally found the solution (thanks to you) and now have to bring my car back in once again to do something they should have done the first time around. As far as I'm concerned I am educating them and they have wasted over 3 hours of my time. For them to charge me at this point would be downright appalling.
Old 02-16-10, 09:57 PM
runscissor
Driver School Candidate

Just to follow up, I visited Lexus today with the LPS form. The techs at Lexus ran their handheld software and reprogrammed the hatch release to its original settings. It took them no more than 2 minutes to do it (including the learning curve). They admitted this is the first time they ever reprogrammed the hatch release before and had no idea how to do it. They didn't charge me a dime and actually thanked me for teaching them something new. Very refreshing!

Thanks again for your help, rcy... I couldn't have done it without you.
Old 02-17-10, 10:25 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Nice that they didn't charge you. My Lexus dealer says as soon as they have to hook up the computer, there's some fee involved (not necessarily an hour labour, but a fee nonetheless). Let's just hope you don't have to educate them on how to service the brakes, or worse, any part of the hybrid system.

The Lexus dealer near me actually has one technician who is the 'hybrid' guy, meaning he's had all sorts of Lexus courses on the hybrid systems. Came in handy when my inverter sprang a leak and had to be replaced. Luckily under warranty as the inverter is a $7000 part (roughly).