Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

whats your mpg on RX450h?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-10, 10:35 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

three weeks into ownership and I am averaging between 27-28 mpg in ECO mode. I have been really light on the gas pedal too and notice a lot of people changing lanes behind me
Old 12-01-10, 11:40 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my 450h 2 weeks ago - I avg'd 25 mpg on my 1st tank (somewhat disappointing) and am now into the 2nd tank and avg'g 30 mpg (knock on wood). I don't expect consistently good mileage until its broken-in or has 3k miles on it . . .
Old 12-05-10, 05:01 PM
fredf42
Driver School Candidate

I was curious about reduced gas mileage in the cold so I came here for answers.

First of all I have about 5700 miles and have never reset the avg fuel setting. It currently reads 29.6, but It was reading around 30.5 about a month ago before it turned really cold in the Spokane area. Our mileage after refueling used to be between 29.5 and 3.5. Cold weather dropped it to 25.5.

Couple things I gleaned from this thread:

1. Gas mileage goes down in the cold. Reasons stated seem to make sense to me. a) engine takes longer to warm up so runs longer before shutting off, b) batteries are less efficient in the cold, [see post #28]. it possible that my traction batteries have trouble ever reaching 60 degrees as stated in post 28, since the outside air has been under 30 for that last month. c) cold air is more dense, so requires more gas to compensate? This one is interesting. Post #32 Lil4cyl says
Colder air is denser, and more oxygenated. This means the computer has to compensate with more fuel to keep the air fuel ratio in the proper range.
That is also why cars generally make more power in cooler air.
I would think the computer would compensate by reducing the air... but I didn't stay at the Happy Inn Express, so I wouldn't know...

My Sequoia gets bad gas mileage when the engine is cold as well, you can tell by watching the instantaneous mileage on the display. However, once the engine is warm, it is back to normal. Unlike the 450h, which seems to stay low when it is less than 30 degrees, no matter what I try. This must be a battery thing. I tend to agree with Jim Meyer in post #28. While watching the energy display, the ICE (internal combustion engine) comes on much earlier when accelerating and more often when stopped. If it is as postulated that the batteries are less effecient and the gas engine has to do more work than normal, it would make sense.

2. Gas mileage varies dramatically with they way you drive. I watch the energy display like a hawk and try to keep the gas engine from kicking in as much as possible. One time after refueling I was able to get the mileage up to 43 MPG, by going mostly downhill at about 30 mph and keeping it on batteries only. That was fun!
Old 12-05-10, 05:20 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by fredf42

First of all I have about 5700 miles and have never reset the avg fuel setting. It currently reads 29.6, but It was reading around 30.5 about a month ago before it turned really cold in the Spokane area. Our mileage after refueling used to be between 29.5 and 3.5. Cold weather dropped it to 25.5.

1. Gas mileage goes down in the cold. Reasons stated seem to make sense to me. a) engine takes longer to warm up so runs longer before shutting off, b) batteries are less efficient in the cold, [see post #28]. it possible that my traction batteries have trouble ever reaching 60 degrees as stated in post 28, since the outside air has been under 30 for that last month. c) cold air is more dense, so requires more gas to compensate? This one is interesting. Post #32 Lil4cyl says
I would think the computer would compensate by reducing the air... but I didn't stay at the Happy Inn Express, so I wouldn't know...

My Sequoia gets bad gas mileage when the engine is cold as well, you can tell by watching the instantaneous mileage on the display. However, once the engine is warm, it is back to normal. Unlike the 450h, which seems to stay low when it is less than 30 degrees, no matter what I try. This must be a battery thing. I tend to agree with Jim Meyer in post #28. While watching the energy display, the ICE (internal combustion engine) comes on much earlier when accelerating and more often when stopped. If it is as postulated that the batteries are less effecient and the gas engine has to do more work than normal, it would make sense.

2. Gas mileage varies dramatically with they way you drive. I watch the energy display like a hawk and try to keep the gas engine from kicking in as much as possible. One time after refueling I was able to get the mileage up to 43 MPG, by going mostly downhill at about 30 mph and keeping it on batteries only. That was fun!
You're right on all counts.
Fact: When it's cold, all cars driven the same routes the same way will get slightly less mileage. Hybrids may behave slightly different depending on whether the car was outside in the really cold temps or in the garage as well as the length of the trip. If the traction batteries are stone cold, it may take a few miles to warm them and the cabin to peak efficiency temps. If the trips are 5 miles or longer the difference will be less than if they are short one or two mile trips. Those will produce a more dramatic loss of good mileage.
Old 12-05-10, 10:31 PM
CliffV
Driver School Candidate

I tend to agree with Jim Meyer in post #28. While watching the energy display, the ICE (internal combustion engine) comes on much earlier when accelerating and more often when stopped. If it is as postulated that the batteries are less effecient and the gas engine has to do more work than normal, it would make sense.
Here are some observations I've made. All observations were made under the following conditions:
  • Exterior temperature between 43 and 46 degrees
  • Interior temperature set at 72 degrees
  • ECO mode on

Observations are based on watching the engine temperature gauge and listening to whether the ICE is running.

At a stop light, the ICE will turn on when the temp gauge drops below 5% and will turn off again when the temp gauge is above 10%.

When accelerating gently from a stop, the ICE will turn on when the temp gauge is less than 20%. This is true even if the "power" gauge stays in the most economic section.

When the exterior temperature was between 66 and 69 degrees. I never heard the ICE turn on when at a stop light. Also, the ICE only turned on when the "power" gauge reached the second most economic section.

This evidence implies that the ICE is turned on in order to generate enough heat to heat the interior of the car.
Old 12-05-10, 11:38 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

another thing I noticed which is interesting. Every morning, I have to back out of the driveway on a relatively steep incline. When I start the car, the engine remains off, but right when I shift to R, the engine kicks in. Interesting part is that even with the engine on, the car solely uses electricity to back up. As I am going up the hill in reverse, the engine is on, but the car seems like it has little power going up since it is only using batteries.
Old 12-06-10, 06:18 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great and informative thread, thanks for posting all your contributions.
Old 12-06-10, 08:22 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CliffV

This evidence implies that the ICE is turned on in order to generate enough heat to heat the interior of the car.
I agree with your observations. If you have navigation and watch the animation, you'll see nothing happening and hear the ICE running to generate heat and maybe charging the 12 volt battery(?).

When I have time and 15$ burning a hole in my pocket, I'll get on the technical bulletin web site and see if the sequence of operation is buried in there somewhere.

I did see in the manual temperature control settings are memorized related to key fob.
Old 12-06-10, 12:59 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Folks living in the southern part of the U.S. are very lucky when it comes to gas mileage in the winter time. In fact, I would venture to guess that at a place like Houston, TX, the gas mileage will be better in the winter than in the summer. Temperatures in the upper 50s and 60s in the winter time in Houston are more conducive to getting better mileage with a hybrid than when it is in the mid to upper 90s and dew points in the 70s between late spring and early fall. The AC will be running constantly under those conditions and thus the gas mileage will not be as good.

Here in the upper Midwest, gas mileage is severely impacted in the winter months. If you think that temperatures under 30 degrees make a difference, you should see what happens when it is near zero or below. My wife's 450h gets about 29-32 mpg in city driving when temperatures are between 55 and 80. However, it can get to as low as 21-22 mpg when it is near zero. This is still considerably better than what we use to get with the 400h when it was very cold. The 400h would drop to about 14-16 mpg under the severe cold conditions. The 450h is much more fuel efficient.
Old 12-06-10, 03:14 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

"The 400h would drop to about 14-16 mpg under the severe cold conditions. The 450h is much more fuel efficient." glad to see that
Old 12-06-10, 03:15 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
Folks living in the southern part of the U.S. are very lucky when it comes to gas mileage in the winter time. In fact, I would venture to guess that at a place like Houston, TX, the gas mileage will be better in the winter than in the summer. Temperatures in the upper 50s and 60s in the winter time in Houston are more conducive to getting better mileage with a hybrid than when it is in the mid to upper 90s and dew points in the 70s between late spring and early fall. The AC will be running constantly under those conditions and thus the gas mileage will not be as good.

Here in the upper Midwest, gas mileage is severely impacted in the winter months. If you think that temperatures under 30 degrees make a difference, you should see what happens when it is near zero or below. My wife's 450h gets about 29-32 mpg in city driving when temperatures are between 55 and 80. However, it can get to as low as 21-22 mpg when it is near zero. This is still considerably better than what we use to get with the 400h when it was very cold. The 400h would drop to about 14-16 mpg under the severe cold conditions. The 450h is much more fuel efficient.
Hey Dude, haven't seen you in a while
You're pretty much right except for figuring the (h) gets better when the temps are in the 50's to 60's rather than the 90's. Ordinarily that would be correct but in the 2010 and up (h), all other things being equal it shouldn't be that much of a factor. The A/C uses no pull from the ICE whatsoever. True it uses a little juice from the batteries but with those temp parameters, the difference should be so negligible you wouldn't even notice it. I'd think the rise and fall of gas prices would be a bigger factor.

Big factor this week, jumped .10 cents over night

This is when many folk who didn't get the (h) are privately pondering their decisions.

Last edited by Cruiter; 12-06-10 at 03:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-06-10, 06:04 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Think you are right Jim. My wife just put only 11 gallons in the 450h Saturday. As it will be cold in Mobile this week and did it before the temperature when down and with less than 400 miles on the car it showed 28.5 mpg on that first tank. The car is getting more mpg than our 2005 330 did and I am sure that it will go up some more when we get more miles on the car and we learn how to drive it better for the higher mpg s that the car can and will get.
Old 12-07-10, 12:37 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Hey Dude, haven't seen you in a while
You're pretty much right except for figuring the (h) gets better when the temps are in the 50's to 60's rather than the 90's. Ordinarily that would be correct but in the 2010 and up (h), all other things being equal it shouldn't be that much of a factor. The A/C uses no pull from the ICE whatsoever. True it uses a little juice from the batteries but with those temp parameters, the difference should be so negligible you wouldn't even notice it. I'd think the rise and fall of gas prices would be a bigger factor.

Big factor this week, jumped .10 cents over night

This is when many folk who didn't get the (h) are privately pondering their decisions.
Hi Jim!

I have been very busy with work, etc, but that is not a good excuse for not posting much at all here for many months. Seriously, I seem to lose some interest in the forums after owning a new car for more than 6 months or so and I learn all about the various bells and whistles of the vehicle.

Getting to the topic, I was thinking of you last evening after my post that I seemed to vaguely remember you stating that running the AC makes very little difference. I'm sure now that you are correct. But obviously, there is no denying that it is the cold weather (the colder it is, the lower will be the gas mileage) that greatly diminishes gas mileage. Btw, gas prices jumped 12 cents in my area last night.
Old 12-07-10, 03:29 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
Hi Jim!

I have been very busy with work, etc, but that is not a good excuse for not posting much at all here for many months. Seriously, I seem to lose some interest in the forums after owning a new car for more than 6 months or so and I learn all about the various bells and whistles of the vehicle.

Getting to the topic, I was thinking of you last evening after my post that I seemed to vaguely remember you stating that running the AC makes very little difference. I'm sure now that you are correct. But obviously, there is no denying that it is the cold weather (the colder it is, the lower will be the gas mileage) that greatly diminishes gas mileage. Btw, gas prices jumped 12 cents in my area last night.
I was watching a report on gas prices this afternoon. The biggest culprit is the traders according to the report. There is no increase in fuel oil or raw products big enough to trigger higher bidding. In fact, the use is less than 3 years ago. We have a glut of oil in this country right now w/tankers anchored off shore with more ready to pump into storage.
We all need to write our congress people about the traders going wild. If we get to keep our current tax laws, the traders for commodities like oil could ruin it all for us. But I know you know all about oil
Old 12-08-10, 04:26 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I was watching a report on gas prices this afternoon. The biggest culprit is the traders according to the report. There is no increase in fuel oil or raw products big enough to trigger higher bidding. In fact, the use is less than 3 years ago. We have a glut of oil in this country right now w/tankers anchored off shore with more ready to pump into storage.
We all need to write our congress people about the traders going wild. If we get to keep our current tax laws, the traders for commodities like oil could ruin it all for us. But I know you know all about oil
You are correct! The crude oil price going to the moon is all due to speculation by traders thinking of oil as being a currency. It is TOTAL BS. The oil inventories are the greatest in history.

Quick Reply: whats your mpg on RX450h?