Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

whats your mpg on RX450h?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-11, 12:20 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
My average over the last year according to the graph is a tick over 30mpg. Over the last six weeks it's 31.3 mpg.

Now average speed is interesting I'm sure for all of us. It's about 35 but you have to understand that includes all the time the ignition is on even when stopped at traffic lights. It will only be higher if you set it while on a trip and read it at the end of the trip. Factor in daily driving and down it goes.
I got just over 26 mpg on my first tank, and very happy about it. Many short trips in cold engine/weather is probably the main reason.
Old 11-17-11, 06:44 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Jim, you bring out some very good points.

Originally Posted by Cruiter
My average over the last year according to the graph is a tick over 30mpg. Over the last six weeks it's 31.3 mpg.

Now average speed is interesting I'm sure for all of us. It's about 35 but you have to understand that includes all the time the ignition is on even when stopped at traffic lights. It will only be higher if you set it while on a trip and read it at the end of the trip. Factor in daily driving and down it goes.
Now average speed is interesting I'm sure for all of us. It's about 35 but you have to understand that includes all the time the ignition is on even when stopped at traffic lights
This applies to MPG too. If ICE runs when stopped.

It will only be higher if you set it while on a trip and read it at the end of the trip.
This applies to MPG too. Speed dependent.

Factor in daily driving and down it goes
Again, this applies to MPG too. Inversely because of battery, so MPG goes up.

If you only refer to the multi-informational display, it displays the true average of MPG and MPH since the last time you reset it. It takes out the feeling, "I drove a trip and I thought or felt I drove about 70 miles per hour for most of the trip". It knows for sure.

If put into a chart of some sort, would it represent EPA estimates? Way too many variables, yet I find what the multi-informational displays as averages interesting.
Old 11-18-11, 08:58 AM
gmilburn
Driver School Candidate

My mileage is running about 25.6mpg. I was wondering why it is so low, after reading that some folks are getting over 30mpg. In looking for problems, I noted that my tires should be at 34psi cold, but had declined to 32psi. Had them topped off this morning to 34psi. I was wondering if anyone knows how much effect one might get from just a couple pounds of tire pressure. And does anyone suggest over-inflating a pound or two?

Also, in reading my tire-pressure display on the little info panel in front of the steering wheel, does anyone know the order in which tires are represented? I asked at the dealer and was told there are no standards; that one would just have to deflate one tire at a time to find out. That seems too loose to believe, though I haven't found it in the user manual. Anyone know?
Old 11-18-11, 02:06 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

At 1st I had been told that they ran LR, RF, LR, RR, but that's not so after rotating. It will be tho every other rotation. You can let about 2lbs out of RF and LR then drive around the block and you'll see the difference clearly. Right now after the recent rotation mine are LR, RR, LF, & RF.

But after you change tires and the TPM's get mixed up it's anybody's guess. I plan on making sure during mounting and balancing of new tires in about a year that the TPM's remain in the same position as when the wheels came off the car. I guess it will drive a tire guy a little batty keeping up with it but ...... He'll just have to agree if he wants the business.

If you're driving the same as you did before you got the Hybrid than your mileage is about right. There is a paradeim shift involved to get the best mileage. Plan your trips and take the radar detector 'OUT' of the car . You won't be speeding much anymore if you want mileage around or above 30mpg. But that doesn't mean you can't still enjoy the car, just not so much with your foot in it.

Originally Posted by gmilburn
My mileage is running about 25.6mpg. I was wondering why it is so low, after reading that some folks are getting over 30mpg. In looking for problems, I noted that my tires should be at 34psi cold, but had declined to 32psi. Had them topped off this morning to 34psi. I was wondering if anyone knows how much effect one might get from just a couple pounds of tire pressure. And does anyone suggest over-inflating a pound or two?

Also, in reading my tire-pressure display on the little info panel in front of the steering wheel, does anyone know the order in which tires are represented? I asked at the dealer and was told there are no standards; that one would just have to deflate one tire at a time to find out. That seems too loose to believe, though I haven't found it in the user manual. Anyone know?
Old 11-18-11, 03:19 PM
gmilburn
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Jim. Actually, I usually flip on the cruise control, even in the city, and drive at the speed limit with Eco mode on. Usually (about 90%) suburban driving. I'm wondering if Eco mode detracts or enhances economy -- I'd guess it enhances it. The mileage difference I'm seeing isn't a great concern, as I'm retired and am now a low-to-moderate mileage driver. I'm just curious if I'm wasting a bit of gasoline versus what I should be using.
Old 11-18-11, 07:02 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

The principle behind the ECO mode is to give you better mileage by retarding the throttle. But it has a downside in that it also makes you drive longer before the heater works normally. I turned ECO off around the 1st of the year and get just as good if not better mileage by being more light footed on the throttle. And when you need it, it's sure there with ECO off .

Originally Posted by gmilburn
Thanks, Jim. Actually, I usually flip on the cruise control, even in the city, and drive at the speed limit with Eco mode on. Usually (about 90%) suburban driving. I'm wondering if Eco mode detracts or enhances economy -- I'd guess it enhances it. The mileage difference I'm seeing isn't a great concern, as I'm retired and am now a low-to-moderate mileage driver. I'm just curious if I'm wasting a bit of gasoline versus what I should be using.
Old 11-27-11, 09:54 PM
marcarl
Driver School Candidate

Eco mode from PA to Florida during break-in. Mostly highway on regular gas got about 27 mpg. Closing in on 5000 miles.
Old 01-09-12, 10:01 PM
yogi1068
Driver School Candidate

Default Driving on electric while in ECO Mode

I just posted this somewhere else on this forum but I thought for those of you who are looking for the little extra mileage, I found something very useful with my 2012 Lexus RX450H. Once your up to a constant speed of about 35 mph or less and traffic is steady, let up on the accelerator and gently press back down on it and the car stays in electric. I discovered this in a large parking lot when cruising for a parking place as I strolled around for several minutes at 10 to 15 mph without the engine kicking on in ECO mode. If you slow down too much or stop, then the engine will kick in. But being careful, I have stayed in electric for over a mile at 35 mph. I find myslef trying to stay in electric more and more now that I know this neat little trick..............
Old 01-18-12, 09:23 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I must have got myself a bad tank of gas. I cant do anything to get the number above 25mpg. Dont know what else has changed. Same roads, same driver, worst gas mileage.
Old 01-19-12, 02:35 PM
yogi1068
Driver School Candidate

My first tank with a 450H AWD, all city stop and go was 28.6 mpg. Still learning how to drive it and really expect to see it improve especially in the spring when the snow on the streets is gone.........
Old 01-29-12, 07:11 PM
gemad2
Driver School Candidate

Default what's your mpg on 450h

80 mile trip. 100% city driving. 40.8 average.
Old 01-30-12, 04:09 AM
Rockridge
Driver School Candidate

40 MPG, that's crazy good for a non-diesel SUV. We are still sitting at 27.5 with our 2011 450h.
Old 01-30-12, 08:59 AM
Bobroob
Driver School Candidate

Now at just over 14,000 miles the lifetime average is 26.5, average speed is 29 miles per hour.
Old 01-30-12, 02:10 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

I have near 32,000 miles on my 2010. It's been pretty consistent since new and the display shows 30.3 average over the last 4 months. I don't hypermile but I do pay attention to my driving habits.
Old 01-30-12, 06:04 PM
TampaOwner
Driver

im averaging 28.8 with 80% city and 20% highway... we get better mileage on the hughway because we can let it coast a lot and barely add any more gas... city is worse because of stop lights... it doesnt matter how slownyou start from a stop, you still have to accelerate or you get horns behind you. highway has better gas mileage.

i always keep it in Eco mode, and switch it to EV mode for the last 2 miles in my neighborhood, which drains the battery until ev shuts off... but 28.8 for us

Quick Reply: whats your mpg on RX450h?