Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

whats your mpg on RX450h?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-13, 11:08 AM
jmhenrie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

currently averaging 23.7. milage in town when i only drive 1/2 mile per trip is usually around 9mpg, this really draws down the overall milage. noticing a 1 to 3 mpg difference between what the car says and the actual.

Last edited by jmhenrie; 01-09-13 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-10-13, 05:42 AM
Bearbrooke
Driver School Candidate

I met with an Lexus Service Tech yesterday and he told me that if I drove in the Sport Mode that I might see better mpg. Has anyone tried that yet? If so, any good mpg results vs. the Eco mode?
Old 01-10-13, 01:46 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

He is not very well informed. There is no way you'll get better mileage in the sport mode. You'll get less at it holds the tranny in a simulated gear ratio. It's best use if for braking when coming down a mountain. In the normal drive configuration the tranny is always in the best ratio regardless of speed or acceleration factor.
Originally Posted by Bearbrooke
I met with an Lexus Service Tech yesterday and he told me that if I drove in the Sport Mode that I might see better mpg. Has anyone tried that yet? If so, any good mpg results vs. the Eco mode?
Old 01-10-13, 03:47 PM
Bearbrooke
Driver School Candidate

Cruiter I agree with you. I put it in Sport and watched the mpg go down. I have it back in Eco. The way I understand it is that Sport is when you need to a little oompf when pulling out in front of traffic etc.

By the way, did you invest in mud guards? Spoke to our salesmen and he said they are not a big seller.
Old 01-10-13, 05:12 PM
tnguyen41
Driver School Candidate

2 tanks into a new 2013.

First tank got me about 400km on 58L.
Second tank is 450km on 60L.

Works out to be around 18MPG.

I don't drive like a fool, I try to keep in Eco Range. Please tell me this is going to get better.
Old 01-11-13, 05:26 AM
Bearbrooke
Driver School Candidate

Hi. I would talk to your dealer as I am just on my second tank of gas and averaging 28 mpg. in my hybrid.
Old 01-11-13, 04:01 PM
Bearbrooke
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cruiter
He is not very well informed. There is no way you'll get better mileage in the sport mode. You'll get less at it holds the tranny in a simulated gear ratio. It's best use if for braking when coming down a mountain. In the normal drive configuration the tranny is always in the best ratio regardless of speed or acceleration factor.
I stand corrected the tech said I would get better driving performance not gas performance.
Old 01-20-13, 05:48 PM
Bearbrooke
Driver School Candidate

Disappointed today as I went on my first long trip to Chicago, approximately 50 miles and only averaged 27.2 mpg. I drove pretty steady around 60 to 65 mph and had expected better results.

The only thing I can conclude is that I had recently put in unleaded 87 and the temps here today are around 10 to 20 degrees.

Any thoughts out there??
Old 01-20-13, 07:48 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 546 Likes on 383 Posts

I haven't experience the RX450h in the summer yet, but with 6yrs in a Camry Hybrid, one point I'll add is that the Toyota/Lexus hybrid system FE performance varies widely with the seasons. My Camry varied from 40mpg in nice mild weather to 28mpg in mid-winter, and from my experience so far the RXh is very similar to the Camry in terms of how the hybrid system reacts. Mild weather performance is awesome, cold weather is, dare I say it, almost ordinary. The system is just more conservative in cold air. For those in more northern climes, practice your efficient driving skills, look for your greatest successes when you see the temps return to 60F to 75F.
Old 01-20-13, 07:49 PM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bearbrooke
Disappointed today as I went on my first long trip to Chicago, approximately 50 miles and only averaged 27.2 mpg. I drove pretty steady around 60 to 65 mph and had expected better results.

The only thing I can conclude is that I had recently put in unleaded 87 and the temps here today are around 10 to 20 degrees.

Any thoughts out there??
Actually, your mileage sounds about like my average using premium octane. Also, consider that the gasoline available is winter blend and your mpg will be a bit leaner than when using summer blend.

Last edited by VVRX; 01-20-13 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-24-13, 02:20 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Currently driving a rx300 AWD Silversport. pretty close to trading in my car to a shiny new450h but I really don't know what to expect in terms of MPG even after reading most of this thread. Right now I get 19.5 mpg and that's with driving 70% highway at 79mph and the rest in local. I'm. Not lead footed but drive fast. And no matter how fast I drive my current car I always get around similar figures.

I don't want to conscious try to save gas. I got more important things to do than to think about Mpg while I'm driving. Also southern CA has so many unlicensed people sharing the road that it's common accurence to go from 80mph to 0mph than back to 80mph in a single minute. Easing up on braking during highway driving never been taught to these mindless drivers.

In any case survival is the order of the day in our highways. What should I do? Should I stick with a conventional ICE 350 or do think I'll see at least 27 mpg with 450h?
Old 02-24-13, 07:24 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

In any case survival is the order of the day in our highways. What should I do? Should I stick with a conventional ICE 350 or do think I'll see at least 27 mpg with 450h?
see at least 27 mpg.....yes
consistently see 27 mpg....no

From my experience, your high end speeding is going to drop that number. However, your experience of high speed stopping to zero is going to charge the battery, which you will use creeping for awhile before heading back up to speeding..

In my opinion, if you don't consciously try to improve your mileage, you'll get 25-27, more towards 25.
Old 02-24-13, 01:59 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MellonC00
Currently driving a rx300 AWD Silversport. pretty close to trading in my car to a shiny new450h but I really don't know what to expect in terms of MPG even after reading most of this thread. Right now I get 19.5 mpg and that's with driving 70% highway at 79mph and the rest in local. I'm. Not lead footed but drive fast. And no matter how fast I drive my current car I always get around similar figures.

I don't want to conscious try to save gas. I got more important things to do than to think about Mpg while I'm driving. Also southern CA has so many unlicensed people sharing the road that it's common accurence to go from 80mph to 0mph than back to 80mph in a single minute. Easing up on braking during highway driving never been taught to these mindless drivers.

I'm assuming if you get the 450h, it would be AWD as you have now. We have done a few very long trips with our 450h AWD, of 100% highway only, at 75mph, and averaged a little over 26. We also always use premium gas as recommended for the 450h. The last 4 months we have been in Florida, where it's warm, and driving 100% local, and we are averaging a little over 30. With your steady warm weather, current driving style, current 70/30 ratio and if AWD, I think you could average 26 after a good break in period. Any more would require an adjustment of more local ratio, or driving style.

The 450h is much more than just excellent gas mileage though. We had no idea how much fun it would be to drive a 450h hybrid. Be sure to test drive one, as well as ask about the added features not found on the 350, as it may help with your decision.
Old 02-26-13, 11:37 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks for your thoughts. I am actually ok with 25 to 26. That's actually a huge cost savings from 19.5. Mpg. I'd be paying 30% less in fuel cost. Since my annual gas bill is about $4000 that translates to $1200 in today's gas price. Using a compounded rise in gas cost of, say 3% annually, I'd break even on the higher cost of the 450h in about 4.5 years. That's not too bad at all. Of course the gas price could go down from here with all the shale revolution and Bakken field and what not but I have a feeling refined products will always need margins for everyone in the supply chain. I think I like my chances.
Old 03-04-13, 09:33 AM
sunnyside
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Average 27-28 around Atlanta on premium. As high as 33 on the Gulf Coast. This is at least 10 mpg better than the 4Runner we traded. No complaints here! 2013 450h silver, nav.

Quick Reply: whats your mpg on RX450h?