Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

whats your mpg on RX450h?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-22, 09:22 AM
Blkbear
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Do you pump in 10% ethanol added gas?

Salim
Don't have much of a choice in the greater Seattle area, unless you are willing to hunt for and drive out of your way to the few independent gas stations/mini marts, that advertise the fact that they sell ethanol free gas.

Old 06-14-22, 02:52 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkbear
Don't have much of a choice in the greater Seattle area, unless you are willing to hunt for and drive out of your way to the few independent gas stations/mini marts, that advertise the fact that they sell ethanol free gas.
Same here in California Republic.
Old 06-24-22, 10:15 AM
COPAPILOT
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We are currently getting 32.5 mpg on regular gas. Approaching 90,000 miles. No issues yet. Milage decreases in cold weather due to different gas mix and EPA required engine warm up wasting gas. Average is over 28 mpg.
Old 06-24-22, 10:25 AM
COPAPILOT
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have no choice in Illinois. Every percent of alcohol reduces gas milage by that percent. I had a Flex truck and when I tried E85 my gas milage dropped drastically. There is no significant energy in the alcohol so you are still just running the engine on the gas in the gas/alcohol mix but you are paying for both. Therefore, E85 is no cleaner for the atmosphere than pure gas, just harder on your wallet. Engines after 2000 don't need any alcohol in the gas to run at their best.
Old 06-29-22, 07:11 AM
DebWest
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like the hybrids are not that great. Any feedback?
Old 06-29-22, 07:34 AM
Blkbear
Driver School Candidate

Default Depends on what you mean...

Originally Posted by DebWest
Howdy DebWest,

It really depends on what You mean by your comment. Like most things man made, it depends on the user's and their experience with any given, tool, vehicle, food, organization.

Example, my old car a 2002 Honda Civic got worse gas mileage (roughly 25 mpg) towards the end of its life span with over 200,000 miles on it. While my current 2011 RX450H is since the last 4 fillip, and much warmer weather, has been in the 30 to 31mpg range (using old fashion math I might add), which BTW is right where the car's computer puts the mpg. For a vehicle it's size, my ability to transport people and things easier, especially after hip surgery, and still have decent gas mileage, for me is a big plus.

I have driven other hybrids, and once you get used to their individual quirks, I was golden.
Old 06-29-22, 08:20 AM
paperthin
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Exactly what BLkbear said.

We have come to love ours and are looking to get into the hylinder hybrid when this one goes. I think the hybrid is the right balance FOR US as a family vehicle and for what we do with the vehicle.

my A3 TDI is GREAT on mileage, but it is for commuting only, not the family vehicle. Can't compare the two.
Old 06-29-22, 08:32 AM
DebWest
5th Gear

Howdy DebWest,

It really depends on what You mean by your comment. Like most things man made, it depends on the user's and their experience with any given, tool, vehicle, food, organization.

Example, my old car a 2002 Honda Civic got worse gas mileage (roughly 25 mpg) towards the end of its life span with over 200,000 miles on it. While my current 2011 RX450H is since the last 4 fillip, and much warmer weather, has been in the 30 to 31mpg range (using old fashion math I might add), which BTW is right where the car's computer puts the mpg. For a vehicle it's size, my ability to transport people and things easier, especially after hip surgery, and still have decent gas mileage, for me is a big plus.

I have driven other hybrids, and once you get used to their individual quirks, I was golden.
Thank you for sharing your experience.

Old 06-29-22, 09:12 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by DebWest
MPG seems to vary GREATLY in the RX 450h. I have a 2016 RX 450h & I live in dry, hot west Texas. I usually do a mix of 75% highway & 25% city/combined. Our highway speed limits are higher here than in most states (75-80 mph). In the cities, it’s 60-65 mph. Typical summer temps here are 100-107°, so running the A/C is a given & it drains the hybrid battery FAST. I’m lucky to get 22-26 mpg in the summer. Some folks that drive really slow (according to their conditions) are getting 30+ mpg. It is what it is.
Old 06-29-22, 02:24 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
MPG seems to vary GREATLY in the RX 450h. I have a 2016 RX 450h & I live in dry, hot west Texas. I usually do a mix of 75% highway & 25% city/combined. Our highway speed limits are higher here than in most states (75-80 mph). In the cities, it’s 60-65 mph. Typical summer temps here are 100-107°, so running the A/C is a given & it drains the hybrid battery FAST. I’m lucky to get 22-26 mpg in the summer. Some folks that drive really slow (according to their conditions) are getting 30+ mpg. It is what it is.
LOL. Our highway speed limits are similar to most states but I do 75-80 mph anyway..... Explains my mpg which is similar to yours. I don't know how else to drive to keep up with speeds around here. On top of that, I live about 2000 ft above sea level which doesn't help either. But I like to extra torque boost of the electric motors. Wouldn't have it any other way. The next car I buy will be a hybrid (or full electric). Now that I am used to the instant torque of the electric motors, I don't want anything less than 350 ft lbs on torque on tap.
Old 06-29-22, 10:10 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by MellonC00
LOL. Our highway speed limits are similar to most states but I do 75-80 mph anyway..... Explains my mpg which is similar to yours. I don't know how else to drive to keep up with speeds around here. On top of that, I live about 2000 ft above sea level which doesn't help either. But I like to extra torque boost of the electric motors. Wouldn't have it any other way. The next car I buy will be a hybrid (or full electric). Now that I am used to the instant torque of the electric motors, I don't want anything less than 350 ft lbs on torque on tap.
I’m just under 2000’ above sea level. I agree with the craving for torque. The RX 450h can really hustle when passing slow vehicles on two lane roads. I try to keep a lid on it, especially because I HAVE to use cruise, or I look down & somehow, I’m doing 20 over the speed limit! The Camaro just isn’t like that. It holds whatever speed you drive it, unless you goose it. The Camaro is around 425 hp & 425 lb/ft torque & the RX is around 300 hp. That’s a big difference.
Old 06-30-22, 09:15 AM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

There is a difference between race_horse and work_horse and then within the work_horse there are differences. Environment and style of use make a difference too.
I really liked a statement by a member "what are you going to do about it [MPG]".
Other tan turning the vehicle in .. adjust your driving style and keep up with maintenance [keep the RX in optimum condition]. It is what it is.

Salim
PS: It is good to know and adjust to the best condition and keep track of "normal", so that you can investigate when things become "abnormal".

The following 2 users liked this post by salimshah:
Blkbear (07-01-22), Felix (07-09-22)
Old 07-28-22, 09:38 PM
jordanquac
2nd gear

Default 2015 RX450h Bad Gas Mileage

Hey all I recently purchased a used 2015 RX450h with around 100,000 miles on it and have only been averaging 22mpg city driving. I’m aware it’s supposed to get 32 city mpg and was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to why I’m getting such horrible gas mileage? I live in California so it’s not very cold.
Old 07-29-22, 12:59 AM
Blkbear
Driver School Candidate

Do you know the maintenance history of the car or its current state of the engine, transmission other than it runs? Are you using the AC often? How about tire condition, alignment and suspension?

I'm in the Seattle area, getting 29 to 31.5 MPG since April as the weather gotten warmer. Got much lower mpg during the colder winter months.
Old 07-29-22, 05:35 AM
jordanquac
2nd gear

Do you know the maintenance history of the car or its current state of the engine, transmission other than it runs? Are you using the AC often? How about tire condition, alignment and suspension?

I'm in the Seattle area, getting 29 to 31.5 MPG since April as the weather gotten warmer. Got much lower mpg during the colder winter months.
i don’t know the state of the engine or transmission, but based on driving it these past three days it all feels to be good and working as it should. The car fax the dealer gave me showed the car received frequent oil changes and maintenance tune ups often. The tires seem to be around 3/4 life and we’re just rotated and aligned, the suspension feels good. I do use the ac, however it’s on a low setting.

Quick Reply: whats your mpg on RX450h?